South Brent Station-2011

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of listed disused signal-boxes, another one sorely in need of much TLC is Stoke Canon Crossing. Realistically though, I can't see that anything can be done with it in situ and I don't know who would have the money and need to move it somewhere else (assuming that they were allowed to). It must be (one of) the last S&F boxes surviving from the B&ER.

Yes, I've tried with that one as well. I think it may still be available for rental, but not sure that there's that much interest....

I have been talking about this very subject this week. The Brent box is the last bit of infrastructure left, goods shed aside, and I would love to see it preserved. My first thought was removal to Buckfastleigh and restoration as a signalling museum, with an interactive experience on the top floor and parts of the locking frame working below, along with examples of types of signal and the experiences of the signalmen.

The problem with all these plans is money, as getting anything from anyone is impossible at present. KC who do we contact to get the box secured?

I would pledge my services a couple of days per month in preserving it if anyone wants to start.

"My first thought was removal to Buckfastleigh and restoration as a signalling museum...."

Without wishing to be unkind to the SDR, but as someone who worked in the (old) box at Buckfastleigh in early DVR days (that ages me!) and has seen its sad decline since it became (allegedly) just a museum exhibit, I am not sure that another box brought in from outside will fare any better. Yes, I know that there are occasional rumours about the old Buckfastleigh box being brought back into use to replace the newer one, but in the meantime as far as I can see it is just used as a store - certainly no (obvious) effort to 'interpret' the display for visitors or provide any sort of interaction. And yes, I did try to 'do something about it' when I lived in the area, but there was no supporting interest at that time - maybe it would be better now?

I didn't even know the old box was an exhibit! I am an association member so that was a surprise. It's in the wrong place for visitors I suspect. I would site my signalling exhibit over the other side of the bridge, near the playground where there is a nice view of the loco shed as well. IMHO signalling is under represented in the west as an important part of our transport heritage and public understanding ( me included!) very limited. Maybe we could move the Brent box or make it a spotters micro holiday cottage?

The locking room of the old box at B/leigh was used as the paint store in the old days, Dick Dinwiddy did not trust us to look after the stock ourselves and locked it away in the box to stop excessive usage.

In all fairness there was nowhere else that was secure in those days, as the coal yard was still being use by retail coal merchants who rented the land from B R who still owned the line then.

D D used to say you could not trust anybody, and also admitted to never buying any coal himself !

• RMweb Premium

I would site my signalling exhibit over the other side of the bridge, near the playground where there is a nice view of the loco shed as well.

The plans that came out for that part of the site some time back suggest that there are other ideas for this area. To me the best area would be next to the good shed where the second hand book hut is. This would allow you to put the books on the ground floor then have your museum above. This part could then be joined to the existing museum allowing a flow of visitors between the 2 locations. Ideally you would want the existing museum and the new on to be connected by a covered walkway (slopped if possible to allow for disabled access).

• RMweb Gold

Last time I got involved, SDR were not interested in any of the other redundant signal boxes in the district, so I would be surprised if they want South Brent box.

However, there is a group in the village who have been in touch and allege interest in doing something with the signalbox 'in situ'....

• 3 years later...

Hi all, I stumbled across this thread following a google search for the history of South Brent Signalbox. Having grown up in Totnes (but now living in Coventry!) I was in Devon this weekend visiting my parents and took the opportunity to pop over to South Brent this morning to get a photo of the RHTT in good weather. Link to photo is below, sadly it seems that the box only has days left, most of the roof has been removed and contractors plant is parked ready for the rest of the demolition. (image is low res, check the link in my sig for higher res versions).

post-24470-0-12383400-1414963962.jpg

It would be nice to have seen the box saved, however previous experience whilst working in the Property Dept. at London Midland trains when the boxes on the North Warwick Line were demolished show that unless someone is willing to put the money up it wont happen (we did however come very, very close to saving Shirley box).

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, I stumbled across this thread following a google search for the history of South Brent Signalbox. Having grown up in Totnes (but now living in Coventry!) I was in Devon this weekend visiting my parents and took the opportunity to pop over to South Brent this morning to get a photo of the RHTT in good weather. Link to photo is below, sadly it seems that the box only has days left, most of the roof has been removed and contractors plant is parked ready for the rest of the demolition. (image is low res, check the link in my sig for higher res versions).

attachicon.gif66099 Par Circuit RHTT 021114 rmw.jpg

It would be nice to have seen the box saved, however previous experience whilst working in the Property Dept. at London Midland trains when the boxes on the North Warwick Line were demolished show that unless someone is willing to put the money up it wont happen (we did however come very, very close to saving Shirley box).

Hi Jon,

It was me that turned up with my wife, when you and the other gent were waiting for the Colas Rail LWR train to pass on Sunday morning!

As I mentioned on the day, the local parish council have had several opportunities over the last 15 years or so, to put forward a workable scheme to rent or lease the building from (first of all) Railtrack, and latterly Network Rail. I've personally attended a few meetings (both on and off site) about it, and made suggestions to the locals as to what they should be considering when drawing up a proposal. All has come to naught, nothing but a load of hot air, I'm forced to conclude now.

Cheekily, the parish council have 'reserved' both finials from the box, for display in the village Old School Centre, thus denying them to more worthy recipients that I can think of (no, not me!).

Nice photo of the RHTT, by the way!

Hi Jon,

It was me that turned up with my wife, when you and the other gent were waiting for the Colas Rail LWR train to pass on Sunday morning!

As I mentioned on the day, the local parish council have had several opportunities over the last 15 years or so, to put forward a workable scheme to rent or lease the building from (first of all) Railtrack, and latterly Network Rail. I've personally attended a few meetings (both on and off site) about it, and made suggestions to the locals as to what they should be considering when drawing up a proposal. All has come to naught, nothing but a load of hot air, I'm forced to conclude now.

Cheekily, the parish council have 'reserved' both finials from the box, for display in the village Old School Centre, thus denying them to more worthy recipients that I can think of (no, not me!).

Nice photo of the RHTT, by the way!

Hi Captain Kernow,

Its certainly a small world, the irony is I had just popped to Brent to photo the RHTT and the other chap mentioned that the Colas LWR was behind! One of the great things about being a Railway Enthusiast is being able to talk to people you havent met before about a shared interest.

It is a shame that the parish council could not (would not?!) take the opportunity to save the box. I hope they look after the finials and don't neglect them, sadly you don't have to go far from Brent to find other "useful / important" railway items left rotting outside by people that really should know better........

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately I seem to have overlooked the fact that the demolition contractors would have done what work they could during mid-week nights, so the dismantling of the old signal box has continued during the week. This is what it looked like late this afternoon:

post-57-0-01511800-1415389756.jpg

post-57-0-07497200-1415389768.jpg

post-57-0-27317200-1415389784.jpg

post-57-0-43896900-1415389800.jpg

post-57-0-73079500-1415389818.jpg

post-57-0-01941200-1415389832.jpg

post-57-0-18091000-1415389846.jpg

post-57-0-25449100-1415389858.jpg

post-57-0-40986700-1415389870.jpg

post-57-0-20525500-1415389883.jpg

I think that the rest of the demolition will be done this coming Saturday night...  :(

• RMweb Gold

It seems that I was mis-informed regarding the timetable for the demolition of the signal box. I had thought that the contractors would finish the job off last night, but when I went there this afternoon, it was evident that no further work had been done since my previous photos posted on Friday afternoon. I plan to check tomorrow what's happening for the rest of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Some great pictures there Captain. What a shame it's another piece of railway heritage gone and that it couldn't be saved for future use. What a super place it would have been for a railside cafe decorated to celebrate the Primrose Line to Kingsbridge and all points west.

It'll now be interesting to see if NR/FGW use this area for an new halt/station as they have done at Ivybridge.

• RMweb Gold

Some great pictures there Captain. What a shame it's another piece of railway heritage gone and that it couldn't be saved for future use. What a super place it would have been for a railside cafe decorated to celebrate the Primrose Line to Kingsbridge and all points west.

Yes, it would have been nice, but I gave our utterly useless and up-their-own ****holes parish council much guidance over the last 15 years on how to go about obtaining a legitimate lease or rental for local, community use, but in the end, what they came up with was too little, too late, and with absolutely no urgency at all, in the face of a very challenging guideline.

• RMweb Gold

It'll now be interesting to see if NR/FGW use this area for an new halt/station as they have done at Ivybridge.

Unfortunately it's not what NR may or may not want, to have a station here would need three key parties to support it - DfT, Devon County Council and the TOC. So far, the level of interest is only luke warm, the county council understandably have other locations in their sights at the moment for possible new stations.

Edit - typos

Archived