OO gauge Turbot

DapolDave

I found that the rigid coupling bars as supplied by Dapol were causing a few derailments over pointwork - especially when propelIing - so I decided to shorten the tension locks.

I shortened the couplings by cutting off the tails.  Then pulled the NEM pocket out.  The shortened coupling is a good tight fit in the empty socket, and a blob of Evo Stick secures it in place. When cemented in it is the correct height. Then I sandwich the wagon good and tight between two locos while the glue set overnight.

All very "Heath Robinson" I'm afraid .....but it works!

PICT0030.JPG

PICT0031.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2019 at 22:39, Foden said:

dutchlineup.jpg

Dont forget the real ones were all painted at different times, in different places and Im sure not with the same batch of paint.....not to mention sitting around in sidings for extended periods of time

At least its a better shade of yellow from Dapol than the 'Lemon' they used on the Dutch 73

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning modellers,

Has anyone tried a short Kadee on their Turbots yet? I have just ordered some No. 17s to fit into the NEM pockets. A rough calculation says that when coupled the top plates will be 11mm apart. Not as close as the supplied coupling bars but a lot closer than the tension locks. Will try them and post some photos. 

John

23 minutes ago, 37501 said:

Good morning modellers,

Has anyone tried a short Kadee on their Turbots yet? I have just ordered some No. 17s to fit into the NEM pockets. A rough calculation says that when coupled the top plates will be 11mm apart. Not as close as the supplied coupling bars but a lot closer than the tension locks. Will try them and post some photos. 

John

I have and you’re right; closer than the tension locks but not as close as the coupling bars. I can’t remember which Kadees (probably the short ones) I tried but I didn’t persist. They worked fine but the coupling bars coupled closer, have given me no trouble and don’t cost extra. More fiddly, of course, to take apart for storage and transportation. For compatibility, I fitted Bachmann tension locks to the end of the rakes.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I have and you’re right; closer than the tension locks but not as close as the coupling bars. I can’t remember which Kadees (probably the short ones) I tried but I didn’t persist. They worked fine but the coupling bars coupled closer, have given me no trouble and don’t cost extra. More fiddly, of course, to take apart for storage and transportation. For compatibility, I fitted Bachmann tension locks to the end of the rakes.

Yes, only slightly better and still a huge gap. It’s a shame as they are really nice models in all other respects. 2 or 3 with fixed coupler and then no17s on the end is bearable if the thing your coupling to has the Kadee sat in line with the buffers.

Many thanks for your replies. I am looking forward to trying them with No. 17 Kadees when they arrive. I am sure they will be a vast improvement on the tension locks with the added flexibility of not having them semi permanently coupled with the bars.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a comparison showing the supplied tension lock couplings, No. 17 Kadees and the supplied coupling bar. I am very pleased with the Kadees for reasonable close coupling and functionality.

A bit of weathering and fading of the paintwork tones them down nicely...

John

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, 37501 said:

Here is a comparison showing the supplied tension lock couplings, No. 17 Kadees and the supplied coupling bar. I am very pleased with the Kadees for reasonable close coupling and functionality.

A bit of weathering and fading of the paintwork tones them down nicely...

John

Really excellent weathering.

• Agree 2

Bought a few of these Dutch Liveried versions earlier in the week from Kerry at Invicta Models in Sidcup - well worth a visit if you are in the area.

I have to say these wagons do look very nice indeed & with a bit of weathering will come up a treat. Looking to source some 'stones'  around 20mm in size to represent loads seen in the 1990's.

Once I get these finished I will post some images here.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if they have shrunk that ginormous coupling spacing, sorted the de-railing tendencies, changed the luminous colors and re-tooled the suspicious trussing or any other woopsies mentioned earlier in the thread?

Not much of a list 'eh? ;)

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Edward Blue said:

Does anyone know if they have shrunk that ginormous coupling spacing, sorted the de-railing tendencies, changed the luminous colors and re-tooled the suspicious trussing or any other woopsies mentioned earlier in the thread?

Sounds as if you perhaps should take the issue up on Dapol’s own consumer website ? 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Edward Blue said:

Well I was more than happy to do a small bit of work to my 3 wagons. At around £20 each they were terrific value and they now look great on the layout.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Well I was more than happy to do a small bit of work to my 3 wagons. At around £20 each they were terrific value and they now look great on the layout.

So was I. Very nice wagons. The colours tone down nicely with a bit of weathering. No problems with derailing, and compared to Kernow’s offering, the truss looks good to me. Another 3 with the different running numbers from the first 3 will finish the rake off nicely. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Mine run fine too with no derailing. I thought it was the Kernow turbots with the underframe issues. Couple together ok with the provided bar...take a look further up thread.

Hope this helps

• Agree 3

• 1 year later...
On 28/06/2019 at 17:50, Edward Blue said:

Judging by the video above - me thinks the answer is NO !!! :-)

3 hours ago, Melly said:

Judging by the video above - me thinks the answer is NO !!! :-)

Its the latest luddite issue from a number of manufacturers - thinks the Oxford N7 and the forthcoming Rapdo  / Model Rail 16xx for example, the solution is to use a NEM 363 mount but aside from  ViTrains the UK model scene has been devoid of them. Their might be opening for someone to sell a NEM 363 mount that fits into the fixed V part of a 362 together with appropriate tension locks and links provided to suppliers of 363 couplings of different types - their is for example a 363 conversion kit for NEM Kadees.

• Informative/Useful 1

The video was interesting as I wasnt aware you could modify the sides of the oo version.  Will need to have a look at my current wagons.  Seems the OO version may be more flexible than the O for this feature.

Re earlier comments about derailing I had some issues on a couple of  specific spots on the layout where nothing else derailed.  I relaid the track and they run without any issues.  Do think the Kernow yellow is better but went for these ones, just building up courage to tone the yellow down with a spot of weathering.