Andy Siddalls LNER Workbench

Thanks Scots Region, you are of course correct, very well known yet seldom seen. Although it did only run like this for a very short period of its life.

This also bring another question to mind and maybe one that RMweb can help me answer.

Shall I paint the water carrying tender in the obvious LNER green or shall I go with the alternative BR Blue Grey that was carried in order to match the then BR coaching stock?

The latest work has been to get the hornblocks in the frames and construct the Bogie and trailing axles.

post-7502-0-20345000-1348910950_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-01169600-1348910952_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

• Like 4

LNER Green w/ 4472 is your only option, as the standard tender only had the cut down rear from 1963 to about '68/69(?) (Unless you modify the rear of the tender to curved rear condition, thereby allowing the blue and grey).

Thanks for that Gents, I hadn't thought about the cut down tender back!

It's a pity really as the advantage of the B/G water Tender is that the loco had 4472 on the cabside and LNER on the Loco tender making it much easier to run it as a single tender option too..

Seeing as the loco tender is built, Green it is then.

Little work has taken place this afternoon as given the nice weather I have been doing a bit of plumbing on the 5" B1.

Cheers

Andy

Evening all!

While little work appears to have actually been done to the locomotive other than to fit the springs and brake gear to the chassis, I have been looking into various detail parts that will be required.

Firstly I was not happy with the massive cast whitemetal gangways on the tenders. After auditioning a few designs I have settled on those by Slaters as they match the profile best.

In order to fit, the originals will need to be cut back to remove the rubber effect part and buffing plate, the Slaters type can then be epoxied into place after painting.

I started to remove metal using a piercing saw, but after a few whitemetal induced blockages to the teeth, I may wait until I get into the workshop again and give them a try on the mill.

Other thoughts have also turned to couplings, as I am building the Scotsman, an A1 and 2 A4's I had decided that I need to devise a better if not working drop buckeye than the whitemetal effort provided in the kit, nice as it is. My coaches are kadee fitted at the moment and some may well get this treatment too.

I have got a pair of the Slaters and the Just Like the Real Thing Buckeyes and whilst very nice efforts, particularly the JLTRT ones, I like Kadees as they can also be used automatically if the tail is left on.

Well they say that a picture speaks a thousand words and so here's 4000!

Fitted to a MMP catfish, (as that was to hand) also a Parkside Grampus minus buffers which helps photography.

I think that this will suffice although it would be difficult to actually raise and lower the head on a layout, though not impossible....

post-7502-0-96343300-1349296274.jpg

post-7502-0-38520000-1349296277.jpg

post-7502-0-34920400-1349296279.jpg

post-7502-0-28477900-1349296282.jpg

The hook used is from a CPL LNER screw coupling, I will also make up the coupling and keep this with the loco or coach so that it could be used with ordinary stock.

Any thoughts comments or questions would be appreciated whilst this is still a working(ish) prototype. i will try and convert a second one before next tuesday and fit them to some wagon to test them on layout in the middle of a rake.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 3

That is interesting, who's coupling is it in the photos. I am thinking of kadee still for my Maunsel coaches, as they will be in rakes. but want to use screws on the ends. I looks like I would be able to add strengthening coaches with the drop down kadee style.

Hi N15,

The coupling hook used was from CPL, part of their LNER Screw link coupling. I used these as I had them to hand and also I can still make the shackles and bar into a coupling which can be used if the head is dropped.

Any hook could be used as long as you have a hole for the pivot behind the hook (which could always be drilled). The CPL ones just happen to have a slot cut for the short shackle to go through which was the right size for a 14Ba bolt!

The Kadee was an 804, used because I though that plastic would be an easier medium to experiment on, I am now looking at milling a slot in a metal 805 as this may be sturdier in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Andy

• 6 years later...

Wow, I cannot believe that it is over 6 years since I last posted anything in here.  I know I have been busy building modern stuff for the diesel side of my collection but this seems far too long.

Just a little update to start as I have spent a pleasant few hours this weekend building a Connoiseur Models 12t LNER fitted van, started Firday afternoon and finished on Sunday.

It was my way of celebrating finishing last years company accounts....

post-7502-0-08764800-1547446304_thumb.jpg

Next up, another on of Jim's kits, the LNER Bulk Grain hopper Wagon.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by Andy Siddall
  • Like 7

Twice in a day I hear you say!!!

Well don't worry it will not last.

Early(ish) finish today so managed an enjoyable hour with soldering Iron in hand.
Made a start on the Connoisseur LNER Bulk Grain Hopper and I must say it's a cracker so far, up to Jims usual standard.
2 identical etches and the usual pre-rolled roof and small bag of castings all attached to a piece of card along with detailed instructions.

Sadly things will slow down for the next few days due to w*rk...

post-7502-0-26269700-1547492263_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-28703200-1547492275_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-10025000-1547492288_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

So folowing on from my last posts, .I have had a little time off so far this year and so have managed a few Connoisseur Wagon kits to extend my goods. I will weather them but wait until I have a few more to do as a batch.

The K1 and Scotsmans are stalled projects at the moment and I just cannot convince the mojo to look in their direction.

LNER_Standard_141405_21.jpg

LNER_Standard_140309_21.jpg

LNER_Refrigerator_156023_21.jpg

LNER_Bulk_Grain_187972_21.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Ooh, the kind of intrigue that I like JB!

Until then here are a couple more of the recently finished wagons.

Next stop, something to pull them (as if the V2 and J39 weren't good enough)!

LNER_Mac_27807_21.jpg

LNER_Implement_700238_21.jpg

Edited by Andy Siddall
Wrong photo added.
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 22/03/2012 at 17:57, HARRYMALLARD said:

post-7502-1261856860113_thumb.jpg

It was this picture that I noticed the TEAS sign on the roof and realised. That this layout was featured in railway modeller around 2000 I think, under the name Holiday Haunts.

cheers Harry

Nice to see another J68, and funny enough 7045. Which I have just completed 

26F46FFD-C138-49D6-8670-936209D9DC34.jpeg

• Like 2