farm tractors as shunters

adanapress

Can anyone point me to information regarding the use here and there of slightly adapted farm tractors as shunters in various East Anglian sidings. Or is my memory entirely at fault? I seem to recall very

large, lashed up wooden bufferbeams, but thats about all I recall! ..

you're recollections are correct, one was certainly used on the snape branch to transfer wagons across the road into the maltings, & also on the quay at gt. yarmouth, just trying to locate pics to give you as referance sources

regards Nigel

right, two for starters, firstly the Snape tractor, photographed in April '59 propelling a RCH 7 plank end door mineral across the road, reg no, JBJ 765 in illustrated history of the east Suffolk, Brodribb OPC 2003

secondly an "epping auto-shunter" on Yarmouth South Quay, April '68 reg no. TGU 485 in branchlines east of norwich, adderson & Kenworthy Middleton Press 2010

Nigel

right, two for starters, firstly the Snape tractor, photographed in April '59 propelling a RCH 7 plank end door mineral across the road, reg no, JBJ 765 in illustrated history of the east Suffolk, Brodribb OPC 2003

secondly an "epping auto-shunter" on Yarmouth South Quay, April '68 reg no. TGU 485 in branchlines east of norwich, adderson & Kenworthy Middleton Press 2010

Nigel

TGU485 was British Railways no. RY 0309 E of October 1956, based on the Fordson Major, with Wetherall conversion.

One of many used on B R mainly Fordson based.

Merf.

• RMweb Premium

One was also used at Knottingley to shunt sand hoppers across the A645 into the one of the glass works before the contract was lost to road. That had the large metal sheets and certainly ;lasted into the 1980's complete with a man with a red flag in tbe middle of the road.

Jamie

They were reasonably common, both used by BR and in industry- one particular use was in locations served by traversers, such as wagon works. There is a published view in a book of one at Leith Docks. As a child, I used to be fascinated by the one in the wagon works next to Sandy Bridge, Llanelli (the building still exists, as 'Newlec', in the unlikely event of someone knowing the area). I believe JCB have recently supplied a modified version of one of their big tractors for use in this fashion. For anywhere with layout constraints, a tractor is probably much more useful than a normal shunter, with the advantage that you can use them for other things if required.

I think Mervyn Jones' long-running thread about BR Road Motors has had images of tractors used for such purposes in the past; I did a cursory search, and found a reference to one such, but couldn't find the link to the image.

East Anglia used to have an even stranger 'shunter' at Lowestoft sleeper works- a powered Grampus wagon. I remember there being a piece about it in Rail about 20 years ago.

• RMweb Gold

A tractor (Fergie T20 I think) was used to replace the horse on the Totnes Quay line for shunting timber traffic from Baltic Wharf to The Plains as locos were banned from beyond the gate into the square. I used to enjoy a pint with the late Stan Smith who was the last horse shunter listening to his stories!

• Like 1

When the locomotives finally died, Shropshire County Council used one as the sole motive power on the Snailbeach line; one strange consequence of this was that the frequency of trains increased markedly as it could only handle two or three wagons of roadstone at a time.

• Like 1

Guest stuartp

East Anglia used to have an even stranger 'shunter' at Lowestoft sleeper works- a powered Grampus wagon. I remember there being a piece about it in Rail about 20 years ago.

There was a photo of it on the old forum somewhere - bright yellow (ok, rust with yellow bits) with a small engine at one end above the axle and what looked like a garden shed at the other. I would try to link to it if I could find the old forum...

[Edit - It's on departmentals.com: http://www.departmentals.com/photo/041707]

• Like 1

They were reasonably common, both used by BR and in industry- one particular use was in locations served by traversers, such as wagon works. There is a published view in a book of one at Leith Docks. As a child, I used to be fascinated by the one in the wagon works next to Sandy Bridge, Llanelli (the building still exists, as 'Newlec', in the unlikely event of someone knowing the area). I believe JCB have recently supplied a modified version of one of their big tractors for use in this fashion. For anywhere with layout constraints, a tractor is probably much more useful than a normal shunter, with the advantage that you can use them for other things if required.

I think Mervyn Jones' long-running thread about BR Road Motors has had images of tractors used for such purposes in the past; I did a cursory search, and found a reference to one such, but couldn't find the link to the image.

I remember the Lowestoft grampus well, it was in fact the works shunter for the engineers wagon repair shops, the sleeper depot being long gone, it was converted from DB988525, internal user no. 041707, painted yellow, & used to be parked by the gates on commercial rd.

Nigel

English China Clays have used tractors at quite a few other sites, Wenfordbridge, Ponts Mill and Par docks spring to mind. I guess they're ida for cramped works to ease shunting, you don't even need a run round loop

I think one is still used for shunting the cement at Moorswater as the newer larger locos can't get round the sharp curves.

I think it would be a bit of a challenge to model a working one though!

• RMweb Gold

I know English China Clay used a tractor with buffing plates to shunt Moorswater Clay Dries - "bcnPete" discussed it here

And here it is, as photographed in Moorswater shed 3 weeks ago...

post-3290-0-88490500-1314115403_thumb.jpg

County 1474 with modified front and rear ends...

Not really your area but I hope it helps...