Meadow Lane T&RS Depot

daryl43068

Hi All,

Not been on RM Web for long, but decided to post my ideas for a layout,

The layout will be based on a Works shed, dealing with the overhaul of locos and rolling stock.

It will be based around the early 90's, but wont be period specific, allowing variation in rolling stock to be run.

Unfortunately, I have limited space, meaning the main scenic section will be 6ft 2in by 2ft, with a 3ft fiddle yard on the side, creating an L shape.

post-7066-0-37108900-1314100775_thumb.jpg

This will hopefully give you an idea of the scale, bearing in mind the lining paper is 21 or 22in wide, the layout will be 24in wide.

post-7066-0-58343300-1314099937.jpg

Not the best plan but shows where the sidings will be in relation to the photo above. please ignore the curved paper point to the right of the slip, used in a previous idea.

On the Left hand side will be the shed with road 1 being able to hold 2 coaches, roads 2 and 3 holding 1 coach inside and one outside,

On the right hand side, roads 1,2 and 3 will be used for storage of 'waiting to go in' items, half done etc (like you see down the side of Doncaster station). It can also be used for an Inglenook shunting style puzzle, which I enjoy.

The red rectangle on the plan is an idea for a wheel lathe shop, as working at a depot with a wheel lathe I see all sorts coming in for tyre turning, giving me excuse to run out of place stock.

I hope to in the future exhibit at exhibitions, and will be considering this throughout the build, which is why I want to get the track to scenery ratio right, although it feels a little cramped around roads 1-4 on the right hand side.

What are your views and opinions? Any help would gratefully be received :)

Cheers

Daryl

You have lots of shunting opportunity there!

It's difficult to tell without a scale plan, but my opinion is that you have a bit too much track for the available space. Yes, it may all fit, but will it produce a realistic, and most importantly, good looking model?

I would be inclined to have remove road '4', and play about with the plan to produce a bit more space between and around the track. Go for the 'less is more' approach. Although a prototype may exist with lots of track in a small space, these don't always produce an attractive looking model. I've tried, and failed several times!

Dude its good to have you on here!

I like the layout that you are proposing - plenty of scope for shunting manouvres - just like work!!

Personally I don't mind a lot of track - just don't go for the old faux pas of cramming stuff in corners as that kind of thing never works.

Check out the Boxenby layout that is being constructed by Grimley Grid - Its a real beast and I think you will recognise it!

Good luck with the layout.

T :sungum:

Hello All,

May I present plan No. 3,

MeadowLaneMk3.jpg

Not changed much, curved it round to use the space behind as a fiddle yard, but not sure if it will look odd fiddleyard / layout ratio. I've measured the space and me and Mrs 43068 fit in with room.

The grey on the plan is the main shed, red would be something odd like this (what the deltic is in) or the load bank facility (yellow steps off the double slip), and the blue would be a wheel lathe or other item what anything and everything could visit.

The diagonal line would be the scenic break. I would like to create something different to the over bridge scenic break, and quite like the idea of the tight curve disappearing like this.

I must confess I am hugely inspired by Brush, Loughborough, which just realised happens to be off a Meadow Lane!

Your comments/ suggestions/ criticism are welcome as always :)

Cheers

Daryl

Morning All,

Now on Version 6 (!) of the plan, not much has changed, Ive re-measured the area where the layout would be and gained 6 inches! Bonus!

Ive added a traverser for the fiddle yard and a few storage lines, added a siding below the shed (so incoming loco can deposit stock there) but removed the double slip at the top and took a line out, I feel it looks a bit better now. Oh, and Ive put the shed on an angle.

Heres the plan;

MeadowLaneMk6.jpg

Your comments/ suggestions/ criticism are welcome as always :)

Cheers

Daryl

Hello All,

7th and final version, Im happy with this, the 2 road shed just gives a bit more room to create a 'works' feel rather than a maintenance shed.

Just need to work out how much wood I need to order for the baseboards!

MeadowLaneMk7.jpg

Cheers

Daryl

Looking good, I like the idea of the layout. My only niggle is, that, after planning many such layouts myself, is the headshunt to get into the shed big enough? you talked about the shed serving rolling stock - if a full length carriage or bogied wagon needs to get into the shed, even with an 08, or similar sized shunter, will the move be possible?

I will follow with interest!

Looking good, I like the idea of the layout. My only niggle is, that, after planning many such layouts myself, is the headshunt to get into the shed big enough? you talked about the shed serving rolling stock - if a full length carriage or bogied wagon needs to get into the shed, even with an 08, or similar sized shunter, will the move be possible?

I will follow with interest!

Hi noakesy, thanks for your comments!

Ive tested the headshunt and it will fit a Mk3 coach and an 08 shunter, hopfully meaning everything can be shunted into the shed. i will be printing the plan off actual size to double checking clearences/ headshunts etc.

Cheers

Daryl

Hello All,

Printed off a full size template from xtrkcad last night. Following on from Noakesy comment, I tested the headshunt length, and, although an 08 can fit into the headshunt with a Mk3, the 08 has to pull right upto the bufferstop, to just clear the points. If I could gain an inch or so extra room, that would be brill.

Also the siding, just below the 4' marker in the plan on me last post, while it can accommodate two Mk3s it fouls the points.

A re-jiggle is required!

2011-09-03220139.jpg

Thank you all for your help so far!

Cheers

Daryl

Jiggle complete!!

MeadowLaneMk8.jpg

Took a siding out infront of the shed, think it looks loads better now. Solved the headshunt problem, the baseboard joint was an inch off, so gained an inch. The siding below the shed, it can fit two coaches of the 65ft variety (Mk1s and Mk2s) as Mk3s wont appear that often so the shed staff can deal with them as they come.

Cheers

Daryl

• 5 weeks later...

Hello All,

Bit of a big update, I have found an extra 4 foot to add to the plan! I never thought about jiggling the area where the layout will be, but did the other day and had more space!

I did think that I've got a plan, and just to go ahead with that, but I would then look at the space and think it had been 'wasted' so to say.

Anyway, I want to keep to the original plan if I can, although I did think about dropping the 'works' concept and adopting a T&RS depot type, focusing on coaching stock, but don't want to jump on Aberdeen Kirkhill's bandwagon.

I've just Google Maped Landore depot, and like the look of that and also Barton Hill.

So do I go for a Works feel, little bit of everything or have a Kirkhill style with a wheel lathe/ paint facility, giving the excuse to run anything?

Anyway, a plan showing the availible space,

MeadowLaneBigMk1.jpg

Grey would be the main shed, red paint facility, and blue and black misc testing buildings. The the sidings in the bottom left means I can still do the Inglenook shunting, but with coaches instead of wagons :sungum: much better!

And to compare with the old plans above, the blue area is where the main scenic board of the old plan was.

MeadowLaneBigMk1compare.jpg

Back to the drawing board! :paint:

Cheers

Daryl

Evening,

Another plan, focusing on the T&RS coaching depot.

MeadowLaneBigMk2.jpg

Orange is the fueling points/ tanks. The top two lines are HST fuel, the HSTs running as half sets (as the other half wont be seen). The lower set is for locos/ DMUs

The diagonal line will be an overbridge/ townscene, the lines on the right will be hidden.

The maroon lines are coach stabling/ service sidings, with the long light grey being a coach maintenance shed.

The dark grey is a general service shed and the blue a carriage washing plant.

Would love to know your thoughts!

Cheers

Daryl

Another plan,

MeadowLaneBigMk5.jpg

Orange- fuel point/tank, grey- shed, maroon- coach service sidings and green is the grassy bit is the old starage sidings that many depots have to store crap!

MeadowLaneBigMk5b.jpg

Same as the above, but with the coach siding curved. I think this gives a bit more space and removes the lots of straight lines look.

Any comments good or bad welcome!

Cheers

Daryl

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

Had another fettle with the plan, here goes,

MeadowLaneBigMk6c.jpg

And just to make sure I've explored all the possibilities, here is a plan based on Landore, Swansea, although it has more of a loco depot feel rather than a coaching stock depot.

MeadowLaneBigMk8.jpg

Any comments, good or bad are always welcome!

Cheers

Daryl

Archived