WYPTE Class 155 Conversion from Hornby 153s

CWJ

Finally got that sunshine this morning...

post-9324-0-53967700-1321133216_thumb.jpg

...and from another angle:

post-9324-0-17229900-1321133255_thumb.jpg

Only after packing away the DMU, camera, tripod, etc. did I notice that one of the bodies hasn't been pushed fully home on the chassis - typical! :)

Reflecting on this project (which was initially supposed to be a 2-weeker but turned into a 3-monther):

Things that I'd do differently next time*:

• Put a bit more effort into the new windows, taking time to file them down to precisely the right dimensions and getting a brighter shade of silver for the frames.
  • Find a neater way of painting the light clusters, orange cantrail stripe and other fiddly bits (in my case, get someone else to do it!).
  • Use a laser printer for home-made transfers, as the inkjet ones are a little blotchy.

* I assure you, there won't be a 'next time' :)

Possible Future Upgrades for This Unit (in order of likelihood):

• Weathering
  • Underfloor drive using a cardan shaft to the bogie.
  • Improved interior detail (where the motor bogie currently is)
  • Interior lighting
  • DCC control and sound

Hope all those who have read this have found it helpful, and if anyone is doing a similar conversion please pop some photos on RMWeb so we can see how you get on.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 12

Thanks Joe, my carefully out-of-focus pictures have succeeded in hiding the messing brush-painted bits then!

Cheers Jim, I can picture you squinting and imagining the roof being the correct profile :) ...but I couldn't quite face using the Dapol model as a starting point, and certainly couldn't get it looking as good as yours.

Guest jim s-w

Cheers Jim, I can picture you squinting and imagining the roof being the correct profile :) ...but I couldn't quite face using the Dapol model as a starting point, and certainly couldn't get it looking as good as yours.

Bit harsh on yourself there Will. ;)

Cheers

Jim

Will, this thread has really been amazing to follow. Well done on the conversion, the new units look great!

Although there may be no further 155s on the cards, I'm definatly looking forward to any other projects you've got lined up.

Chris

Thanks Dave - I can recommend Jim's thread on doing up the Dapol 155; good luck with the Northern livery, it won't be easy!

Chris - thanks for your message, I need to get on with my layout so unfortunately there won't be much rolling stock output in coming months.

Cheers,

Will

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I read this a while ago - apologies, I thought I'd already commented, a very nice piece of work! - but have just re-read it, and am contemplating having a go at one too now, Watch this space, as they say!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

...well, my pair of 153s arrived today, and have been dismantled already.  A start has been made on the bodyshells, all going well so far!  I won't bother showing it step by step, Will has already done that in plenty of detail, but will post some pics when it's done.

Just a couple of questions, though - what were the paint shades used for the red/yellow/grey?  Have you stood it next to the Bachmann 158, by any chance - if so, how well does the colour match?

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not much progress of late, but cracking on with it yesterday and today again, amongst other things.  Just a quick tip for anyone else thinking of doing it, I managed to get hold of a spare bodyshell for the extra windows to avoid having the same problems as Will.  Obviously there is only 1 small toilet window, and 3 more are needed, BUT... the drivers windows from the original (large) cab end are just very slightly narrower, barely noticable, which just leaves one extra to be made - probably from a door window, by trimming it and repainting the edge silver..  A much easier route than having to try and get the silver edges all by hand. 

hi there - i really like your work. however i had what may be a silly question. perhaps i'm missing the point, but why didn't you start with a 155 in the first place? Hornby made the WYPTE 155 a few years ago (R2108)

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Everyone,

I've just returned to RMWeb after a 10-year gap to start a family and tackle some DIY/garden projects, to discover this problem with images going missing.  I'd be happy to recover a few photos from this project if anyone needs them, so feel free free to ask. 

The same applies to my Class 325 project (pre-3D printing so I had to improvise!) which has now been archived so you won't find it with the search function and I can't post a message like this on it, but I think you can find it via my profile.  If anyone would like a few photos, please send me a PM and I'll ask nicely for the topic to be un-archived.

@sub39h (if you still want an answer after 10 years!) I started with a pair of 153s because I liked the fine window/bogie detail, modern mechanism, lights etc.  Others have achieved fantastic results by starting with the ex-Dapol 155 as you suggest, which apparently has a more accurate body shape and of course doesn't need the cab end surgery.  I was blissfully unaware of what's wrong with Hornby's 153 when I started this project, and having finished it I have no intention of finding out!

If you enjoyed this topic (while it still had photos) I'm hoping to have a couple of new projects to report on, although my interests are a bit more diverse now and my progress will be slower thanks to busy family life.  At the risk of inciting rampant frothing (on RMWeb? surely not!), please shout if any of these would be of interest...

• 00-gauge Blackpool 'balloon' tram conversion/detailing, scratchbuilt underfloor motor bogies and lights (just started)
  • 00-gauge Class 185 using bits of Bachmann 350 and many scratch-built parts (may start next Winter)
  • N-scale Huddersfield trolleybus conversion from diecast RTR (surprise gift for my Dad's birthday in December, so I hope he doesn't read this)
  • Correcting the paint colours on my TPE Class 68 and Mk5a set... do I dare take a paintbrush to those lovely models?
  • 00-gauge L&YR Class 25 'Ironclad' 0-6-0, probably using the London Road Models kit (parts not even bought yet, maybe one for next Winter)
  • The 45mm gauge rack railway I'm building to carry ale to the man-cave at the top of my steeply-sloping garden (just civil engineering so far, first track to be laid this summer)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2