On 40-somethings Workbench

Guest 40-something

I've enjoyed following this thread and look forward to seeing the finished J83. I had a similar idea of hacking about a Hornby body and you have done a great job on this so I'll dig out mine now I've been suitably inspired. I ill marry it to another chasis, possibly the 57XX as you have done. My dad used a Mainline one 30 years ago under his NB Models N15 and I'll be doing likewise when I get my one built but using a 45xx.

The crux of this is that it would be useful to have a table of RTR chassis dimensions somewhere. Wheelbase, spacing between wheels, wheel diameter and number of spokes. I'm hoping some kind sole has already done one, but if not it would it be worth setting one up. The old Model Rail magazine used to supply them as part of its reviews. I am tring to find appropriately sized RTR chassis for several body kits and conversions, at the minute for GNRI and NCC locos, as well as my usual Carlisle fare. So does anybody know of such a list or resource available?

Guest 40-something

J83 nearly finished!

post-6924-0-15198900-1324237128.jpg

One side

post-6924-0-09347800-1324237148.jpg

t'other side!

Its based on a photo of 68447 at Eastfield with the larger numbers as sometimes used in Scotland (maybe elsewhere, Im not too sure)

The body has just been placed on the chassis at the mo. I still have to tidy up the buffers, add coal and weather the thing to within an inch of its life!

Guest 40-something

Now its the J72 thats nearly finished

Again based on a photo with the larger numbers, think I got my numbers straighter than the prototypes though, which makes a change!

post-6924-0-95042700-1324245885.jpg

post-6924-0-60688900-1324245896.jpg

Again just resting on the chassis.

I made a couple of changes to the loco since I sprayed it black. I chose to model a non-vacuum braked example so I removed the pipework on the RHS from the cab to the smokebox and filled in the cut outs on the bufferbeam ledge, still need to fill the holes the vac pipes went in to. I've added handrails on the bunker sides too.

Some tidying of the buffers and the addition of coal and a good weathering will see this loco complete, although I need to work out how to put kadees on it!

• RMweb Gold

A nice job on these two though at first I was alarmed at the number on the J72's bunker then I realised this is a Scottish region loco... It must be how Crewe felt when some of their Jinties were sent back from Darlo' with the number on the tanks :scratchhead:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Its good to be back on RMWeb, however in its absence I've done some modelling! The J72 and J83 are now all weathered and coaled, the J72 is complete though the J83 needs front spectacles, driver and fireman.

post-6924-0-01838300-1325530241.jpg

post-6924-0-16907400-1325530253.jpg

post-6924-0-72672900-1325530269.jpg

post-6924-0-38037600-1325530283.jpg

So ends this thread for now, next on the loco front will be a pair of either Class 40's or 4F's!

Thanks for everyones kind comments and encouragement, its been much appreciated.

• 5 months later...
Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Been a while since I posted in this thread, nothing much loco wise has been done to my fleet apart from these two 4F's...

post-6924-0-83104400-1338726523.jpg

44318 left, 44253 right.

Both are standard Airfix models obtained from this parish (thanks Dave!) that I've done a little bit to. The loco shells have had the lower 3 lamp irons fitted, handrails fitted to the cab sides and glazed with Glue 'n Glaze. 253 has had a new ejector fitted (Gibson brass casting) after the original went down the plug hole during paint stripping! The tender shells have had new handrails fitted.

A respray in black (Halfords Satin), transfers from HMRS Pressfix and a matt varnish (Humbrol rattle can) have finished the shells ready for weathering. The coupled wheels have been blackened using the Carrs product.

I've fashioned a closer loco-tender coupling as can be seen in the photos below...

post-6924-0-51699600-1338727396.jpg

post-6924-0-39606300-1338727435.jpg

The coupling can be set close or slightly wider in case the loco's will be used on layouts with tighter curves than mine, at the closest setting the locos will still negation Peco medium radius points.

They'll both be getting weathered and fitted with real coal and a crew.

They look good, Joe. It shows there's still some life to be had from the old Airfix model. They'll look even better when you weather them like some of your earlier examples. One point, though, the central raised part of the buffer beams should also be red. It gave a very characteristic appearance to the front of a 4F.

Nick

Guest 40-something

They look good, Joe. It shows there's still some life to be had from the old Airfix model. They'll look even better when you weather them like some of your earlier examples. One point, though, the central raised part of the buffer beams should also be red. It gave a very characteristic appearance to the front of a 4F.

Nick

Thanks for pointing that out Nick, I would have completely forgot to do that!

• 3 months later...
Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

I've now started working on a N2/2 hopefully representing 69509 which was based at Parkhead in Glasgow in the late 50's/early 60's.

My starting point is Hornby's take on the ex-GNR N2 0-6-2t. This is a good model considering its tooling dates back to the Mainline range in the early 80's. Hornby have fitted a quieter motor and blackened wheels and coupling rods. It took a while to source a good one in BR Black at a good price, however I found a good runner in good condition but with a few bits missing from the condenser pipework. That was fine by me as it was all getting removed anyway! This will be a quick project as not much needs done.

The photo below shows the model disassembled and the condensing pipework removed. Taken on a phone camera, so not the best.

post-6924-0-84912800-1348522995_thumb.jpg

The next photo shows the extent of the modifications I've made...

post-6924-0-45803000-1348523085_thumb.jpg

Namely, drilling the lifting holes in the frames.

I still have to do the following...

• Fill and sand the holes left by the condenser pipework
  • Fit lamp irons to the front frame
  • Touch in the paintwork
  • Remove and replace the printed numbers
  • Varnish, weather and add real coal to the bunker
  • Fit kadee couplers

So this project will keep me occupied for the next couple of weeks, I'll add updates as and when work progresses.

Guest 40-something

The last week has seen a bit more work done on the N2. The printed numbers have been removed, including the smokebox plate (which makes a change for me!) All the holes that needed filled have been filled and sanded smooth, and the lamp irons have been fitted.

I've also fitted Kadee No.5 couplings, and I've included a few photo's for those who may want to fit Kadee's to their N2's.

post-6924-0-55781000-1349211682.jpg

The bufferbeams need some material taken out of the lower edge, around 1mm in depth and the width of a Kadee 242 coupling gear box

post-6924-0-41269100-1349211755.jpg

A section of the top part of the upper chassis frame needs cutting off and subsequently glued in place behind the front buffer beam,Ialso cut away the same amount form the lower chassis moulding, between the guard irons to clear the coupling gear box

post-6924-0-95126800-1349211760.jpg

1mm thick plasticard was then glued in place inside this offcut up to the height of the bufferbeam cut out

post-6924-0-65584700-1349211765.jpg

At the rear of the loco, the curved frame mouldings are filled with 1mm plasticard, again to the height of the bufferbeam cut out. The gear boxes can now be glued on to the plasticard.

post-6924-0-20742200-1349211770.jpg

The rear of the chassis showing the coupling in place. To allow the trailing truck to swing, I cut off the guard irons and glued them to the side of the coupling gear box and cut back the plastic moulding to near the axle channel.

post-6924-0-31199200-1349211774.jpg

The front of the chassis with the coupling in place.

post-6924-0-38154400-1349211905.jpg

Right way up shot of the chassis front showing the modifications

post-6924-0-54848900-1349211913.jpg

Shot of the rear of the chassis showing the coupling attached.

To sum up the front coupling is mounted on the body frame, the rear on the chassis frame. If anyone has any questions on fitting Kadee's to these N2's, please ask away!!!

Next jobs are to touch up the paintwork and add the new numbers, then a good weathering!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good to me! Must admit I'd never thought of 57xx chassis as I'd quite like a J50 in just this sort of condition.

I am wondering if the DJH J50 kit would fit easily on to the 57xx chassis?

Guest 40-something

I am wondering if the DJH J50 kit would fit easily on to the 57xx chassis?

I imagine it would, a bit of trial and error with the chassis mounting points

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

The N2 is now finished and ready for weathering...

post-6924-0-16679100-1350127922.jpg

Condensing equipment removed smokebox view showing the new lamp irons.

post-6924-0-90675000-1350128013.jpg

Bunker view

This has been an easy project, the hardest part was sorting out the front Kadee mounting method

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning from a chilly Surrey.

Chassis for J50:

There are two possibilities

1) Take a Comet N2 chassis and cut off the rear to make it a 0-6-0T

2) Gibson produce J50 chassis frames. They require a bit of work. I've used Comet hornblocks for my two Kays J50 bodyline kits. I've fitted both with Mashima 1620 including a flywheel driving through High Level Loadhauler plus 60: gearboxes. They run beautifully, but need detailing. This thread has shown the difference that detailing can make.

I'll put J50 detailing on my worksheet.

Earlswood Nob (A signalbox near where I grew up)

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Joe,

Thanks to the link from the other J50 conversion.  Very impressed by the J83.  I have detailed a few over the years but not to this level.  I know that on the current Hornby chassis that it sits way too tall; is it much better on the Bachmann one?

Regards,

Alex.

Guest 40-something

Hi Alex

The J83 now sits at the right height on the Bachmann chassis, its running qualities are 2nd to none.  If you are going to the Perth exhibition this weekend, the loco will be on Milton Street MPD (along with the J50), you can have a close look if you wish.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Got to see both locos today.  Great looking, and on a great layout too.  Your two colleagues were most helpful and friendly too.  With my current thinking I am more likely to go down the J50 & J52 line of thinking as they'll fit in better with what I have and want.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

Guest 40-something

Hi Alex

Thanks for your kind comments, sorry I never had the chance to meet you on Saturday.  

Both loco's performed faultlessly over both the days of the exhibition, and the layout performed well too with a few gremlins from the turntable to upset us!  

Best regards

Joe

• 5 months later...

Fantastic looking models, your weathering and conversions are great.

Got to second that, your turning out some really fine work here, an inspiration to us all. Just got a J 83 off flea bay (cheap as chips, can be got for less than a tenner and very rarely much more) and was looking at using it as a base for a Caledonian 782 class 0-6-0 but this thread shows what a lovely little loco it is in its own right as well. Steve

Guest 40-something

Fantastic looking models, your weathering and conversions are great.

Got to second that, your turning out some really fine work here, an inspiration to us all. Just got a J 83 off flea bay (cheap as chips, can be got for less than a tenner and very rarely much more) and was looking at using it as a base for a Caledonian 782 class 0-6-0 but this thread shows what a lovely little loco it is in its own right as well. Steve

Thanks for your comments folks!

The J83 can be made into a great model, I'd like to see what you do with the 782!

• 1 year later...
Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Its been a while since I last posted in my WB thread, I have a new project about to start, which is more of a nostalgia trip than anything else...

post-6924-0-55151200-1433010955.jpg

I picked this Mainline Class 45 up for very few buttons on ebay, sold as a non-runner.  I've always had a soft spot for the models, having owned a fair few of them in the 80's & 90's.  Of course they dont match Bachmann's latest offerings in shape, details and running qualities, but with a bit of tweeking they can be made presentable.  

On taking the body off when I received it, the pick up wires were disconnected from the motor, 2 wires from a DC power unit brought the motor into life and 2 mins with the soldering iron to reattach the pick up wires saw the chassis running on a test track.  The motor runs remarkable well and quite quietly.

I plan to titivate this loco, but not go nuts with it.  Jobs to do...

Service the motor and clean the wheels

Strip the factory paint off

Add the bogie mounted bufferbeam plates (sourced from here) and pipework

Remove the cantrail rainstrips

Plate the bodyside steps and small bodyside grilles

Add lamp irons and handrails

Finish in BR blue 

Glaze and add windscreen wipers

Not too much to do but should prove enjoyable.  Im in the middle of searching for a new property and dont want to start any major projects at the mo so this fits the bill.

More updates as an when!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 40-something

I've been doing some work to the Mainline 45, namely removing the extra cantrails, moulded nameplates, lamp irons and nose end handrails. I sanded the areas smooth this evening

post-6924-0-42717700-1433967777.jpg

A very theraputic way to de-stress after a very tough day at work I must say!

I've also added on the bufferbeam plates to the bogie frames as below...

post-6924-0-33184700-1433967782.jpg

These appear to be 3D printed, the detail is very sharp but they are a bit brittle. I managed to snap 1 in half!

I've decided to finish this loco with the bodyside steps and roof fillers as built such as D118

Next up is drilling the holes for the lamp irons and handrails, along with pipework for the bufferbeams

• 1 month later...
Guest 40-something

I picked up another Class 45 bodyshell recently, a split box one.  The paint 'job' was horrific and on stripping it down, the bodyshell moulding is in a pretty poor state on the sides and roof so I've decided to take the split box cabs off and transplant them on the split-centre shell I have already

Pics will soon follow!

Archived