D600s on milk trains?

Karhedron

This is a question out of curiosity. Milk was still a valuable traffic flow on the WR when the hydraulics arrived. I have seen photos of every DH class except the D600s on milk workings. Everything from 9500s tripping a few milk tanks around Cardiff to 1000s with long trains from the west country and everything in between.

So can anyone tell me if there are any recorded instances of D600s on milk trains? I know that in their later years they were still favoured for fast, fitted freight workings so would have seemed well suited to the task.

Somewhere I feel sure I've seen a photo of one doing precisely this at Truro, Drump Lane, or Totnes. I think Truro in fact. One of the generic Hydraulic titles had it in, if memory serves. Certainly, logic and common sense would suggest these locos would have done this type of thing turn-about with other front line diesels, especially when they were supplanted by the B-Bs.

Logic suggests they would have worked milk trains- however, they aren't represented as well photographically as the other hydraulics, so the probability of one being shot on a milk train is correspondingly small. A trawl through my various albums of hydraulics only produced a shot of 'Active' heading west on the Royal Saltash Bridge with what is described as 'Goodrington to Saltash tripper' on p32 of 'Looking Back at the Western Region Hydraulics'. Even then, the evidence is largely circumstantial; Saltash had a milk depot, and the first vehicle behind the loco might be a milk tank.

I don't have that book but it might indeed be a milk tank in the photo. The Penzance - Kensington milk trains did not stop at Saltash. Tanks to and from Saltash were attached to local trains and added to/detached from the milk train at Plymouth.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have that book but it might indeed be a milk tank in the photo. The Penzance - Kensington milk trains did not stop at Saltash. Tanks to and from Saltash were attached to local trains and added to/detached from the milk train at Plymouth.

Chris

Quite so, usually on the back of the Saltash/St Germans - Plymouth auto' and, latterly, on the single car DMUs which replaced them until at least c. 1970.

Adam

Archived