Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

Have I missed out but have this problem been resolved yet as I have found another one of my Class 31 fleet with chassis rot. I haven't seen any reports since 2009. If this is still on going its about time it was sorted once and for all with us customers of Hornby getting compo

31 270 is the same model as the problem was originally reported to affect. Therefore this does not indicate that the problem has spread beyond the original batch. Unhappily mazak "fatigue" is a progressive problem, and it can surface after varying periods of time . Not that this is a consolation. I can only suggest you contact Hornby

Its not possiable to repair the chassis. The material it is made from is decomposing. One of the side effects of this is expansion. Ulitmately the chassis will turn to a dust like residue. Your only option is to contact Hornby or buy a replacement chassis off ebay should one come up for sale.

Jim

Two topics now merged into one. Please don't start a new thread to discuss the same problem as it splits the replies and then becomes difficult for yourself or others that have been kind enough to reply to keep track.

Please follow Ravenser's advice and contact Hornby for a resolution.

If you've had another loco which has suffered before surely you'd have done that?

with us customers of Hornby getting compo

They may be able to replace an item but compensation isn't something which is likely.

Owning a couple of vintage Trix Warships and an EM1 2 out of the 3 of these have the mazak problem with their wheels. These models are now @ 50 years old so give a good indication of what you expect over time. 2 set of wheels crumbled to dust however some of the others were OK and others only has partial fatigue and could be repaired with glue.

With Trix models (and possibly Hornby models too) it was contamination/impurities of the mazak that was the problem and as I understand it, this might only effect certain areas of a casting where contamination/impurities are. My point is that is possible that not all of the casting will have an issue so it may be possible to carry out a localised repair.

I would suggest that close examination of the complete casting should give an indication to whether the contamination is widespread or just localised.

My 3 Trix locos still all work and are in one piece so don't give up hope!

Xerces Fobe

Prompted by this post and after my previous response I checked both my Hornby Class 31's 31 111 and 31 270, 31 111 was OK however 31 270 was cracked on 3 corners!

HornbyClass31metalfatigue2.jpg

HornbyClass31metalfatigue3.jpg

HornbyClass31metalfatigue1.jpg

I have not used 31 270 for a couple of years and I was going use it at the next time I took my Croxley WRD layout out.

I will contact Hornby tomorrow.

Xerces Fobe

There is another option if the chassis has broken but the body is intact/repairable.

Mine broke at both ends and I repaired it by filing back the broken sections as far as practical and fixing the end sections into the cab ends, then simply dropping the assembly onto the chassis.

As a consequence there is a small gap in the chassis now (hidden by the body anyway) and I lost the functionality of the tail lights (though someone with more patience could probably retain that)

Overall I am quite pleased as the loco would have been good only for a scrap project otherwise or binned on eBay.

Owning a couple of vintage Trix Warships and an EM1 2 out of the 3 of these have the mazak problem with their wheels. These models are now @ 50 years old so give a good indication of what you expect over time. 2 set of wheels crumbled to dust however some of the others were OK and others only has partial fatigue and could be repaired with glue.

With Trix models (and possibly Hornby models too) it was contamination/impurities of the mazak that was the problem and as I understand it, this might only effect certain areas of a casting where contamination/impurities are. My point is that is possible that not all of the casting will have an issue so it may be possible to carry out a localised repair.

I would suggest that close examination of the complete casting should give an indication to whether the contamination is widespread or just localised.

My 3 Trix locos still all work and are in one piece so don't give up hope!

Xerces Fobe

This problem is caused by impurities (esp. lead) in the mazak alloy. It can't be cured, though mild cases can be repaired (for now) with Araldite or similar. Correct storage (dry and warm) will help delay the decay.

Trix wheels were/are very prone to this (possibly worsened by vibration). I needed to replace them on my Compound, though the rest of the castings seem OK.Post war Hornby Dublo (and Dinky Toys seem immune, as do Tri-ang*. However 50s Farish (especially the locomotives, Pullmans and Wagon underframes), Rivarossi and some other makes are prone. This problem then disappeared for decades, resurfacing now, with manufacture in the Far East.

* Damp will produce corrosion of mazak even with these.

There is another option if the chassis has broken but the body is intact/repairable.

Mine broke at both ends and I repaired it by filing back the broken sections as far as practical and fixing the end sections into the cab ends, then simply dropping the assembly onto the chassis.

As a consequence there is a small gap in the chassis now (hidden by the body anyway) and I lost the functionality of the tail lights (though someone with more patience could probably retain that)

Overall I am quite pleased as the loco would have been good only for a scrap project otherwise or binned on eBay.

Keep you eye on this loco as the decomposition will not have stopped. Watch for that gap you made closing up. Also the thinner parts of the chassis will become weaker and weaker.

I have found another two of my Hornby class 31s with chassis rot, will be contacting Hornby later today to arrange replacements, have been speaking to a legal advisor, sale of goods act is the key and Hornby are liable as this is not a one off problem they should have had a recall on all models with this defect

• Like 1

Recalls are only necessary when it's a safety related issue.

I trust your 'legal adviser' waived his usual Bank Holiday rates? Following the advice already given would have saved you a few bob. :)

• Like 6

Just contacted Hornby and they I said they will repair my Class 31, I just have to send it back to them with a covering letter

No premium rate number for the Customer Care Line either!

Well done Hornby

Nigel .

Just goes to show that if you contact the manufacturer they will sort it out! I trust Locospotter will now follow this line which should resolve his problem (As long as he does not expect compensation and his legal fees as well!).

I also contacted Hornby today and was told to send locos back with letter but only the chassis are being replaced but not sure when but I am sure the locos with damaged bodies will be replaced as well. As for my legal advisor, he is a friend of the family so dont get charged. Hope I dont have anymore chassis problems with any other models, unless someone know different.

• RMweb Premium

Hope I dont have anymore chassis problems with any other models, unless someone know different.

Other known 'bad boys' with regard to dodgy Mazak are a batch of Heljan 47s (discussed extensively somewhere on this forum), and some Bachmann N class locos with bendy footplates.

I have found another two of my Hornby class 31s with chassis rot, will be contacting Hornby later today to arrange replacements, have been speaking to a legal advisor, sale of goods act is the key and Hornby are liable as this is not a one off problem they should have had a recall on all models with this defect

However surely that doesn't apply. Hornby have acknowledged there is an issue and they are, generally speaking, repairing and/or replacing the affected models. I have had to send back to Hornby before in my previous job working in a toy store, quite common to send digital Scalextric cars back for replacement after the festive season on a year in year out basis. Knowing the Sale of goods Act as I do - I really don't think you have a case for your legal advisor aside from paying their fees and not getting very far in my opinion.

I can honestly recommend their customer service department I have never had an issue with them. Give them a call and see what they say, I've even had them send me the boxes to send the items back to them in so I didn't have to pay postage either. A recall is only generally used for safety related issues.

I do hope all of you who are affected get it sorted out however.

Regards,

~ Gary

Hi All,

Just whipped the body off my 31270 and found that I have a Class 31 kit !!! Fortunately the body has only a minor crack at one corner and seems to have been keeping the chassis intact until released.

One phone call to Hornby................

post-5198-0-03958100-1314794679_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

This thread reminded me that I have one of the affected models (R2413) and dug it out. After chipping it ran a few times, but it hasn't been used for around two years. Sure enough, it has the same problem.

This is the worst corner. As with others, when I tried to dismantle the model to recover its decoder one end broke away and it's virtually impossible to get it all back together again. However helpful Hornby are, this one is beyond repair and will need to be written off. One phone call to Kent coming up methinks.

By the way, I also have the R2649 variant (31 165) and this is fine.

• RMweb Premium

Bump

You may not have got a reply because it's all been covered in depth before. No worries - try http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13259-Hornby-class-31/ and see mossdp's post #7 in particular, which includes links to a fuller discussion of the old version of RMWeb.

Bump

You may not have got a reply because it's all been covered in depth before. No worries - try http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13259-Hornby-class-31/ and see mossdp's post #7 in particular, which includes links to a fuller discussion of the old version of RMWeb.