Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

I have old midels of Class 31's from Triang-Hornby, Airfix ,Lima and Hornby. The Airfix model is crisp and clean but is let down by poor buffer beam detail and the motor is very poor. I still think the Hornby model is by far the best Class 31

Having had a few Airfix ones, they vary. If you get a good one, they can be very good runners. I like the body shape but I wouldnt call it 'crisp', certainly not next to a Lima one.

TBH and all things considered, I think the 31 may just be shaping up to be one of those classes that still needs a 'future proof' model. IMO all are acceptable bodywise, but none is spot on.

Edited by Pennine MC

I still think the Hornby model is by far the best Class 31

As an out of the box products it has by far the most features, but that doesn't make it the best. IMHO the Lima model has the best body shape and the tooling is delightful - Hornby's tooling is rather chunky by comparison.

If you're prepared to put in the work, the Lima has far more potential - if the Hornby model doesn't offend then it is the more sensible option but I'd still use the Lima body as a basis.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the winning bidder of this loco realises what they might have bought --> http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

I guess it could have just been damaged but it looks to me that its showing the first signs of chassis swelling.

Looking at the droop on the buffer skirting I would imagine the chassis is already gone, as soon as the body is removed the chassis end will most likely drop off...looks nearly identical to mine a few months ago.

Another 'cracker' here. Looking for a cheap one to transplant the internals into a Lima ped. This one might prove to be popular though with those bids already. No mention of the crack by the seller, they might not have noticed themselves.

Although not directly my concern, I have e-mailed the seller in the hope they can do something about it before some unfortunate recipient finds out for themselves. I have no connection with the seller, other than a satisfied customer, but do feel a certain duty to try and help where I can. This chassis cracking problem has been discussed time and time again on this forum and the answer is quite simple...contact Hornby giving them details of where and when purchased. I have sent them back two and been perfectly happy with the outcome. The postage to return the model is a small price to pay I think.

• Like 1

Having returned my 31270 with cracked chassis during August, I got an email last week saying it had been fixed and was on its way back to me, however they have discovered there is a fault with the decoder. Who knows what happened to it, but I know it was ok when it left here! :O I'm just hoping I get a new body and get sent the old. There would be great a opportunity to do a scrap yard scene! :no:

• RMweb Premium

So what does Hornby do? I'm literally about to post off my weathered class 31 as one of the cabs has two very large cracks just like the photos above.

Am I going to get a new model?

Given that the chassis and body are both knackered then I would think so.

HI

I was going to get a green 31 for my layout , but with the body shell cracking and the chasse falling apart , no tahnks , i'll keep me money.

Darren

Its only D5512 of the green 31s that suffers from the chassis rot, and even if you do buy one and its subsiquently starts to rot, you can get it fixed by Hornby for nothing more than the cost of posting it to them.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the idea of a replacement chassis block being made freely available as a spare item. Surely as modellers we would be able to transfer the bits across to a new chassis block & eradicate the problem. Yes, I know about Hornby & responsibility etc but there comes a time when this is no longer needed or whatever. Surely a new block, already designed and tooled up, could sell for less than a tenner.

Stewart

Interesting development here chaps!

You may recall that on the old RMWeb site I carried out a rebuild of my crumbling chassis, with photographs. More an exercise in seeing what could be done on my part I guess, and I have to say I was happy with the result.

With the comments from all the other posters I took another look at it last week. There was evidence of "crumbledust" around, so the longterm future does look bleak for the chassis, though I have to say it is still at the moment in more or less the same rebuilt condition. But I decided to politely contact the Hornby Customer Services via their website . They actually called the contact a "complaint" which I suppose technically it was, but in my eyes was more of a query.

Anyway, late last Friday evening I filled in the complaint form.

On Monday afternoon I got an email asking for the model number, which I replied to.

Then on Tuesday morning, I received another email, saying they would send me out a replacement chassis (! made me wonder what was coming), allow 7-10 days.

TODAY! mid afternoon Wednesday, I received a replacement chassis block (ie just the casting as suggested by me) for me to rebuild into the loco. No charge even for postage.

I have to put it in capitals, sorry, WELL DONE Hornby, MANY THANKS for the service.

I have to add that I was (hopefully) polite; cross-referred with a link to my descriptive posting on RMWeb as proof; and asked if replacement chassis CASTINGS (not complete running chassis) were available for purchase. I also pointed out that as a former Hornby service engineer for a couple of shops, I was competent to rebuild it.

With all the "Down" postings for Hornby recently, this has certainly recast my thoughts for the company.

Off to rebuilt D5508 (aka D5512 in Hornby terms) in a little while.....

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great news! Had a phone call from Hornby last Wednesday to say 2 of my 3 Class 31's were on the way back to me. A box arrived today with two rebuilt chassis plus a new green body D5511 to replace the split D5512 body and a weathered blue body 31 268 to replace split 31 270 body. New sets of detailing parts were also included.

Both have now been re-assembled and are brilliant runners with superb slow running and virtually silent mechanisms. Another plus is that 31 268 has the raised body side seam missing from the original issue 31 270.

To marks to Hornby for great service, just waiting for my Dutch 31 110 to come back now.

• Like 2

Guest oldlugger

Prompted by this post and after my previous response I checked both my Hornby Class 31's 31 111 and 31 270, 31 111 was OK however 31 270 was cracked on 3 corners!

HornbyClass31metalfatigue2.jpg

HornbyClass31metalfatigue3.jpg

HornbyClass31metalfatigue1.jpg

I have not used 31 270 for a couple of years and I was going use it at the next time I took my Croxley WRD layout out.

I will contact Hornby tomorrow.

Xerces Fobe

Ditto this Xerces Fobe as per my post this evening. Two class 31's have bitten the dust and I don't know how to get some form of compensation. A lot of money up front and two knackered locos...

Recently I brought a 31270 from Ebay and this has gone the same way, the ends of the Chassi with the bufferbeams have just fallen off, and the body cracked. Luckily I only require the model to cannibalise for the Motor drive components. Its a good job I brough it for this reason rather than someone else buying this one and having the same happen to them

NL