Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

Wonder what will happen to the newer Hornby 31s, will they suffer the same fate? or has Hornby changed the Chassis block material?

NL

It was a contaminated batch of mazak, same as with the batch of Heljan 47s and the batch of Bachmann N class. The material is still the same just hopefully no one in China has chucked some crap in the pot with it since!

Wonder what will happen to the newer Hornby 31s, will they suffer the same fate? or has Hornby changed the Chassis block material?

It is most likely caused by impurities, but Hornby has never acknowledged this. With Chinese quality control, this problem could rear its ugly head on any run from any manufacturer using mazak for the chassis. If you read back on some of the older topics you will find several dissertations on this old problem.

It is most likely caused by impurities, but Hornby has never acknowledged this. With Chinese quality control, this problem could rear its ugly head on any run from any manufacturer using mazak for the chassis. If you read back on some of the older topics you will find several dissertations on this old problem.

It has raised its ugly head now and then over history. HD had a bad batch just before WW2, Trix had a reoccuring problem in the 60s and 70s, Lima did in the 80s, and we know about recent events. What is suprising that all the Margate made stuff has avoided the problem.

Does Bachmann replace the chassis on the early N class locos? I must check mine......

It has raised its ugly head now and then over history. HD had a bad batch just before WW2, Trix had a reoccuring problem in the 60s and 70s, Lima did in the 80s, and we know about recent events. What is suprising that all the Margate made stuff has avoided the problem.

Does Bachmann replace the chassis on the early N class locos? I must check mine......

Its the running plate on the N not the chassis.

Is the chassis on Margate Hornby steam locos mazak though or something else? A lot more plastic used by them at the time than we get in more modern releases too (certainly in the diesels).

• RMweb Premium

Does anybody know if Hornby just change the block, or just swap the entire chassis over? Asking because if they do, what happens to the old bogies and underframe tanks? Requiring some of these for lima remotor projects I wish to do.

Judging by earlier experiences they swap the block over.

Should the body separate from the chassis without undue force? I have removed the 4 fixing screws adjacent to the bogies but I am unable to remove the body from the chassis. . I wanted to examine the chassis as the body is showing signs of cracking on both corners at the - fan end.

I am reluctant to apply to much force in case I cause damage.

Would the best course of action be to contact Hornby and hopefully get their agreement to take a look at it.

The loco is: R2420. D5512 from a batch ref: 50 04 loco is unused - mint boxed condition - purchased from Hattons within 3 months of its original release in 2004/2005 and has been stored within a cupboard in a bedroom with central heating.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

To: craigwelsh / spamcan61 / royaloak and no space no money.

Thank you all very much for the information and advise that you have given.

I intend to contact Hornby in the next day or so to arrange its return.

I will give feed back as to how things work out.

again --- my thanks to you all

( and a BIG - THANK YOU to Andy - for the website: RM web )

regards Richard C.

Have been away on holiday in Dorset for a while -- just sent an e-mail to Hornby customer care dept. detailing problems previously described.

i am hoping that they will agree to take a look at the problems and offer to do a repair / replacement for me. Fingers crossed.

My 2 came back yesterday, D5512 is now D5511 (I wonder if they did this one only to supply the replacement bodies) and 31270 is now 31268. From what I can see they have merely taken the parts off each and moved them to a new chassis block as one has no fan (which I took out to fit a sound chip), lets just hope this is the end of the problem.

Have been away on holiday in Dorset for a while -- just sent an e-mail to Hornby customer care dept. detailing problems previously described.

i am hoping that they will agree to take a look at the problems and offer to do a repair / replacement for me. Fingers crossed.

Have had an e-mail reply from Hornby - customer care dept. Got the go ahead to return the item to them.

Have had an e-mail reply from Hornby - customer care dept. Got the go ahead to return the item to them.

D5512 is now on its way - by recorded delivery to Hornby for rectification. Will post details later on how things work out.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oldlugger

I've followed the advice in this thread (re: my two locos that have fallen to bits) and contacted Hornby via their website - twice now. To date I've received no response from them, even though I used their customer support service. I find this totally unacceptable; even if they are not prepared to do something for me they could at least respond to my two messages.

I've followed the advice in this thread (re: my two locos that have fallen to bits) and contacted Hornby via their website - twice now. To date I've received no response from them, even though I used their customer support service. I find this totally unacceptable; even if they are not prepared to do something for me they could at least respond to my two messages.

If you ring Hormby they answer the phone quickly and are very helpful.

When I saw the Hornby staff at the recent Wyrail I thanked them for their prompt service with regards to my Class 31 repair. I mentioned that my Class 31 had being had not been taken out of it's box for @ 18 months prior to be finding the problems apparently this common however according to Hornby locos that have not being stored for long periods have apparently being less prone to this problem!

XF

• RMweb Premium

If you ring Hormby they answer the phone quickly and are very helpful.

Indeed, there comes a point when emails won't do and it's time to pick up the blower (OK it's not always convenient timezone wise).

How many folk actually check not only their mail client's junk mail folder, but their ISP's? More than once I've found important emails sitting amongst the 1000 or so junk mails a week my personal email account attracts:-/.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case here, just a general reminder that there various virtual places emails can go astray.

Have you had any reply from Hornby since your original post?

I contacted Hornby - customer care dept with an identical problem by e-mail earlier this month and received a reply by e-mail from them with 48 hours.

I am awaiting its return to me its about 3 weeks since it was sent back to them.

In the e-mail reply they did reserve the right to charge me for the repair ( Corroded chassis and split bodyshell ) If they do attempt to charge for the repair I am not going to be a " happy bunny "

I trust you sent it Recorded Delivery as a minimum?

XF

My loco was returned to Hornby by recorded delivery on Wednesday 09/11/2011.

I will be surprised to see it returned before 2012. My guess is that at the moment Hornby are much too busy rectifing returned / faulty VEPs.

They've had my self-destructing version of 31 270 since October 28th and not a dicky bird yet. Time for a phone call to Margate, methinks.

Please post the details of your phone call. I admit to a vested interest in your outcome.

• RMweb Gold

I trust you sent it Recorded Delivery as a minimum?

I certainly did and a check reveals that it was actually delivered on the 30th rather than the 28th. That's still a month without any news.

Please post the details of your phone call. I admit to a vested interest in your outcome.

No problem. I'll update the thread as soon as I have any news.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I now have news from Hornby. A telephone call this morning revealed that the delay in returning my model is down to lack of chassis spares in stock at Margate. I was informed that fresh supplies will be arriving in the New Year, at which point my model will be repaired and returned. I'm more than happy to wait on that basis.

I hope this helps others in a similar position.

• Like 1

Slightly OT but can anyone help please? I was sure that it was in this thread, but I can't now find it....Someone mentioned contacting Hornby/Margate, and being referred to a (local?) dealer in their spare parts. Not the usual 2 though (ie East Kent Models or Abigails).

Basically, I have modded the bogie mount on my Stanier 2-6-4T and broke some plastic parts in the valve gear, neither of the 2 regular suppliers can apparently help, so I'm trying elsewhere if I can.

Stewart

I now have news from Hornby. A telephone call this morning revealed that the delay in returning my model is down to lack of chassis spares in stock at Margate. I was informed that fresh supplies will be arriving in the New Year, at which point my model will be repaired and returned. I'm more than happy to wait on that basis.

I hope this helps others in a similar position.

Many thanks for the update. Looks like my 31 will also be spending Christmas and the New Year with Hornby at Margate.