Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

• RMweb Premium

Is the mazak chassis problem restricted to the 31 270 vintage or has anyone reported more recent problems?

My 2010 green D5511 still seems ok, but it makes you wonder if the metal contamination was limited to the early models.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Is the mazak chassis problem restricted to the 31 270 vintage or has anyone reported more recent problems?

My 2010 green D5511 still seems ok, but it makes you wonder if the metal contamination was limited to the early models.

Jeff

I've not seen reports of any other vintages affected on the 'net; I'd be more worried about other types of loco made around the same time.

Jeff

It is my understanding that it is just the first 2 Class 31's. From the postings it appears that there were more blue ones with the problem.

XF

I now have news from Hornby. A telephone call this morning revealed that the delay in returning my model is down to lack of chassis spares in stock at Margate. I was informed that fresh supplies will be arriving in the New Year, at which point my model will be repaired and returned. I'm more than happy to wait on that basis.

I hope this helps others in a similar position.

I first contacted Hornby last May, was told chassis would be in in September. Phoned them again in October. They took my phone number and said they would contact when chassis arrived. Haven't heard a thing so phoned again today, now told as you were it will be New Year. Whilst i'm happy to wait this service just isn't good enough, are they hoping we will all just go away ?

• Like 1

I first contacted Hornby last May, was told chassis would be in in September. Phoned them again in October. They took my phone number and said they would contact when chassis arrived. Haven't heard a thing so phoned again today, now told as you were it will be New Year. Whilst i'm happy to wait this service just isn't good enough, are they hoping we will all just go away ?

They'll be waiting for a batch of cl31's to be build on the production line in China so they can tack some more chassis on the back of that to do the repair work. We all know production slots in China get chopped and changed a lot and also how long stuff takes on the boat so its not surprising the details are varying in my mind.

Im guessing they've run out of the original extra batch they got done for the initial wave of returns.

• 1 month later...

Having returned my Class 31 ( D5512 ) with corroded chassis to Hornby early November 2011 and having not heard anything from them

I telephoned the Customer Services Dept last week. The reply as to when i might see it repaired was -- very non comittal.

Don't hold your breath......My feeling is they have to wait until a batch is produced in china to get any spare chassis bits.

I have had the self destruction on 2 x31s, an original blue one and the Dutch one last year.

The Dutch one I sent in feb 2011, after chasing up, it returned in october 2011.

They are good at fixing things.........but the time involved is a bit silly.

My feeling is also that the 31, although an excellent model, makes the issue worse by the design.Specifically where the main chassis block is joined to the 'end bits' , is very thin indeed.

Edited by rob D2

My feeling is also that the 31, although an excellent model, makes the issue worse by the design.Specifically where the main chassis block is joined to the 'end bits' , is very thin indeed.

Yes it is quite a small area but its pretty strong on a chassis with no metal issues. Even the main bulk of the chassis block had started going and the screw pillars snapped off on mine when it was sent off.

I spoke with Hornby Service this morning re my 'Dutch' 31 110 which went back to them in September last year. They are still waiting for the chassis to arrive from China and could not give an indication of when! I also had D 5512 and 31 270 fail but replacement chassis and new bodies arrived back in October last year.

My old D 5512 body was a total rightoff but I have managed to repair the 31 270 body and with a little extra weathering cover the split marks up and have now fitted it to the new Railroad chassis [ex 31 256] with only a few mods - looks good and runs well.

I spoke with Hornby Service this morning re my 'Dutch' 31 110 which went back to them in September last year. They are still waiting for the chassis to arrive from China and could not give an indication of when! I also had D 5512 and 31 270 fail but replacement chassis and new bodies arrived back in October last year.

My old D 5512 body was a total rightoff but I have managed to repair the 31 270 body and with a little extra weathering cover the split marks up and have now fitted it to the new Railroad chassis [ex 31 256] with only a few mods - looks good and runs well.

Just checked the Hornby 2012 product range - BR Green Class 31 is a code no: R3144 - Hornby web page gives no release date.

However checking the Kernow Model Rail shop web page they are showing an estimated release date of ----- WAIT FOR IT .......

3RD QUARTER 2012

:laugh_mini: :O :triniti:

I sent my D5512 to Hornby earlier this month with a small crack in the left hand corner of the body, the chassis looked ok but the plates that were secured onto the chassis just above the bogies had crumbled. By what you all are saying it looks like I'm in for a bit of a wait, I need to contact them and tell them of a recent change of address so will see what answers I get.

I have just spoken to Hornby regarding my 31270, they told me they would fix it but to ring back in a month. They should have an idea when they are getting some chassis blocks by then.

Alan

hi - alan

thanks for the update

regards richard c

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I received a letter out of the blue yesterday from Hornby's customer care team, apologising for the delay in repairing and returning my blue 31. They themselves do not yet know when replacement parts will arrive in the UK, but I am assured the model will be repaired and returned a.s.a.p.

Given the criticism of Hornby's customer care of late, I felt I ought to pass on this information. Okay, it doesn't say anything new, but from my point of view it is a nice gesture of reassurance.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a letter out of the blue yesterday from Hornby's customer care team, apologising for the delay in repairing and returning my blue 31. They themselves do not yet know when replacement parts will arrive in the UK, but I am assured the model will be repaired and returned a.s.a.p.

Given the criticism of Hornby's customer care of late, I felt I ought to pass on this information. Okay, it doesn't say anything new, but from my point of view it is a nice gesture of reassurance.

I have also received a similar letter from Hornby regarding the repair of my green D5512.

Me too. If we do have to wait until Q3 I don't mind, at least by keeping us informed they are showing willing to sort it out and haven't forgotten about us.

Well at least you guys got a letter. I have been contacting Hornby since last May re- my Dutch 31 falling apart. Told numerous times to phone back in a few months. Phoned them again yesterday and now been told to send in, BUT don't know when it will be repaired. This just isn't good enough. It has put me off buying any more Hornby diesels, wish Bachmann would do a 31. Its a good job Hornby don't make real cars, i'd hate to think what the build quality would be like.

I believe that this has been quite a problem for Hornby, trying to pin point which batches of models are affected, not knowing how many models are involved and more importantly not knowing how long the problem will go on for. I too have had the problem and have sent two models back for chassis replacement in the last two years. Hornby replaced R2420 (D5512) in the catalogue with R2420A (D5511) which allowed them to get some spare bodies and chassis blocks to replace what they knew was faulty at the time. Unfortunately the problem looks as though it could be ongoing on these early releases due to the nature of the unstable metal content within the chassis block and I have indeed sent a further batch of locos back for repair. Also the chassis design is inherently weak at each end because of the need to provide room for the opening cab doors.

Having said all this I must applaud Hornby for taking the action they have, and yes it may be a little inconvenient, but they are trying to keep the people informed who have already sent their models back.

I see that there is another release of the green 31 in the new catalogue which I would assume will come sooner than later to provide the opportunity for more chassis blocks to be manufactured

If it is of any consolation, the real things gave problems with engine block fractures in the mid sixties which resulted in them all being retrofitted with English Electric power units, so those of you temporarily without your models...just think of it as an extended works visit!

I certainly would not be put off buying Hornby diesels because of this problem as they are indeed taking steps to sort it out. As they no longer manufacture 'in house' then things take a little longer to come from the Far East. I can only speak as a very satisfied customer and also one who is without his substantial fleet of 31/0's at present!

Edited by BrushVeteran
  • Like 1

This just isn't good enough. It has put me off buying any more Hornby diesels, wish Bachmann would do a 31. Its a good job Hornby don't make real cars, i'd hate to think what the build quality would be like.

Why? Bachmann had the same problem with the N class and the 31's where likely made by Sanda Khan at that time.

Well at least you guys got a letter. I have been contacting Hornby since last May re- my Dutch 31 falling apart. Told numerous times to phone back in a few months. Phoned them again yesterday and now been told to send in, BUT don't know when it will be repaired. This just isn't good enough. It has put me off buying any more Hornby diesels, wish Bachmann would do a 31. Its a good job Hornby don't make real cars, i'd hate to think what the build quality would be like.

Only those whose models Hornby already had were sent a letter updating on progress.

Don't you think you are over reacting there? Its one release of one model that had a manufacturing defect that Hornby are fixing when the batch production system allows it (they can't just click their fingers and get a slot in someone elses factory..). As for cars its no where near as bad as something like the Toyota brake recall and frankly its a toy train not anything safety critical.. Mine was fixed in the first round of chassis replacements and my dad has one with Hornby this time around waiting for the parts.

• Like 1

Only those whose models Hornby already had were sent a letter updating on progress.

Don't you think you are over reacting there? Its one release of one model that had a manufacturing defect that Hornby are fixing when the batch production system allows it (they can't just click their fingers and get a slot in someone elses factory..). As for cars its no where near as bad as something like the Toyota brake recall and frankly its a toy train not anything safety critical.. Mine was fixed in the first round of chassis replacements and my dad has one with Hornby this time around waiting for the parts.

Your right, i didn't expect a letter as I had to keep phoning them, They said they would ring me when spare chassis came in. Obviously i was way down the line as they hadn't asked me to send it back. IF they had last May when i first contacted them maybe MY model would be fixed now. It comes across to me that i was being 'fobed' off on the phone. No, of course its not as serious as cars which could lead to a nasty accident, just trying to run a similarity, but in my opinion Hornby have done themselves no favours by taking so long to put this fault right. Once bitten, twice shy is the saying so i personaly will be reluctant to part with my cash for another Hornby model untill i know they do not have problems. As for Bachmann and Heljan i have had no problems so again personaly i shall favour them. Thats how it goes.

Hornby fixed the initial returns over a year ago now, if you only contacted them in May you'll have been at the head of this next batch awaiting more chassis being made.

As for Bachmann and Heljan i have had no problems so again personaly i shall favour them. Thats how it goes.

So if you'd had an early Heljan 47 or a Bachmann N you'd boycott those companies?

Incidentally my dad send them the model then followed it up with an email telling them to fix it :lol: