Weathered Bachmann 04 ROD 2-8-0s

robmcg

Hi All,

Could anyone offer opinion on the two weathered Bachmann 04 class 2-8-0s on offer at Hattons at the moment, as in whether one might be better or worse than the other?

Any comments would be welcome, the photos are not overly clear.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob, like the pic by the way, just had a peek at Hatton's 04s the weathered one seems to be a fair representation, if any thing a bit clean! 04s were generally filthy, their bread & butter being coal, coke & ore trains. There are a series of books by E.M. Johnson (Foxline Publications) , Woodhead pts 1 to 3 and one by Ken Granger (same pub.) Sheffield Victoria to Chesterfield Central Pt.1, all have good photos of in service 04s all be it black & white. However Woodhead Pt.1 has a nice colour pic of 63870 (1953) on the front cover. Hope this helps Cheers Phil.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

Great to hear from you again, and that you are looking to increase your loco fleet.

I may have missed updates on your situation elsewhere but how are you getting on? Are you back in Christchurch? and how is the house, and the railway room.

Hope to hear some good news after what must have been a very scary and unsettling time for you. Have seen some of the pictures of the snowfall in NZ - that does not happen very often.

with best wishes,

Bazza

Thanks Phil and Bazza,

I have seen Youtube footage of 04s at Nottingham Victoria c1960-62 and they were certainly part of the scenery, and generally very grimy, just as I remember many steam locos of the early 1960s.

I bought the Bachmann weathered version, as illustrated here.

As to the house in Christchurch, it is still damaged and awaiting repair and sale, I have moved to Wellington, into a house where there is room for a diorama but no large railway, at present anyway!

I imagine the picture as being somewhere between Leeds and the more southern parts of the GCR but of course the signalbox is Hornby and the gantry entirely freelance! Then again, maybe 04s ventured onto Midland Region lines at times?

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Again a very nice pic, the weathering comes up well, my interests have GCR roots but in BR days. Have just been watching a Marsden Rail DVD (No.10) with plenty of very filthy 04s circa 1963. I'm going to weather my example myself just because I enjoy doing it :no: . Hope you get somewhere for a large layout

good luck Phil.

Archived