Cement Mixer Truck 1/76

dinkyme

Not sure if anyone has posted any information about a new manufacture called Best Choose, now available in the UK form Digby's Miniature Automobiles. They are modelling a Hino 6x4 chassis truck built in 1990's with 3 different bodys, cement mixer, tipper and tipper with hiab/grab bucket, all in 1/76 scalepost-4835-0-13817000-1314993901.jpgpost-4835-0-57340500-1314993950.jpg. You will also find them on E-Bay, watch out can get left hand driver version also.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if anyone has posted any information about a new manufacture called Best Choose, now available in the UK form Digby's Miniature Automobiles. They are modelling a Hino 6x4 chassis truck built in 1990's with 3 different bodys, cement mixer, tipper and tipper with hiab/grab bucket, all in 1/76 scalepost-4835-0-13817000-1314993901.jpgpost-4835-0-57340500-1314993950.jpg. You will also find them on E-Bay, watch out can get left hand driver version also.

I've just been looking at the same models on E-bay at 9.99 each! The dealer quotes 'Hong Kong' or 'China' versions, possibly the 'Hong Kong' version is RH drive?

I've just been looking at the same models on E-bay at 9.99 each! The dealer quotes 'Hong Kong' or 'China' versions, possibly the 'Hong Kong' version is RH drive?

Yes Hong Kong is the RH drive version, if you look closely at picture on E-bay you can tell by either the steering wheel position or number plates, ps I got some of E-Bay in July different price and postage then, cheaper now

These look interesting. These Hinos were reasonably popular in UK 1980s / 90s especially in construction , users liked the quality but not the heavy unladen weight. Must finish off my Leyland LAD mixer that's sat on the shelf :) -

post-3430-0-23084600-1315478315.jpg

Edited by jcb 3c

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone know of a 1:76 Cement Mixer truck suitable for the early sixties?

I have looked around the web but cannot see anything suitable being available yet.

Edited by highpeakman

• RMweb Premium

I have looked around the web but cannot see anything suitable being available yet.

The best idea would be to fit an HO scale body on a Base Toys chassis or similar. The modern 'cone' shaped mixers came into use in the mid 50's.

post-4835-0-55563200-1317857662_thumb.jpgpost-4835-0-39845700-1317857759_thumb.jpgpost-4835-0-03268400-1317857851_thumb.jpg

Have a look on Road Transport Images web site in the 'Galleries By Make' section select Foden and you will find a picture of mixer truck which they used a body of Cararama Scaina. They have just done a model using Best mixer body fitted to a Leyland Freighter cab, this is found in cab section on page 6.

I have used a Base toy LAD cab/chassis and fitted a secondhand japen mixer body got from a collector fair stall a few year back. see pictures left to right, Best, Cararama, Base Toys and Herpa.

You might find ho scale Herpa to small ?

Hope this helps

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice Models.

Thank you very much for this information and pictures. It helps a great deal as my knowledge of trucks is really only based on my very general observations after 40 years high mileage car driving all over the Uk and other parts of the World (and no, I am not anti truck like some car drivers), a couple of years hitching up/down the M1 in trucks as a student in the late 60s (when the Ford D series was new!) and living close to the Bedford/AWD Truck Plant (and, of course, Commer/Chrysler/Renault) for many years. However I know virtually nothing of the detail.

I looked through the RTI site which has some very impressive models on display. The Foden looks really great and I might have a go at that if I can acquire the Scania mixer. I note that the Cararama Scania mixer is also HO and appears on the main Cararama Hong Kong website but I have not yet found it for sale on the UK sites.

For the initial experiment then I already have a Base Toys Leyland chassis that I can use so I now need to find the mixer body. There is a Toy Fair in Lincoln at the end of this month so I will scout there and see what I can find.

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction and opening up a new area of interest.

• RMweb Premium

Cararama made the Mercedes cab in both 1/72 and 1/87 scales. Their larger models came in packaging describing them as either 1/72 or 1/80 scale! The Scania was as Bernard said about 1/77 scale, the Mercedes was closer to 1/72 scale but the '1/87' scale version was nearer 1/80 scale.

• 2 weeks later...

Archetypal cement mixer truck from the 1960's would be a 6 wheeler Foden or an an Albion with the LAD cab . RMC used hundreds of bright orange Albion Reivers with the LAD cab for many years. Six wheel Thames Traders were also popular mixers in the late fifties early sixties.

Strange no ones got on to making an out of the box one yet as they were always very popular in the old Matchbox range.

I found an old (ebay) Kibri HO mixer body sits well on the OO guage Base toys .

I remember the RMC depot at Furnace, Llanelli, from early childhood in the late 1950s- the first ones I can remember were LAD-cabbed Albions, but by the end of the 1960s, they were using some 'Ergomatic'-cabbed vehicles (quite possibly also Albions).

There was a very good Fotopic site dedicated to 'classic' commercial vehicles; does anyone know what's become of it? I recollect there were lots of shots of older British vehicles taken in Malta.

If anyone's looking for a mid-1960s-1980s British tipper to stand alongside the truck-mixer, Oxford have listed an Ergomatic-cabbed AEC in 'Hoveringham' livery amongst next year's proposed releases.

I remember the RMC depot at Furnace, Llanelli, from early childhood in the late 1950s- the first ones I can remember were LAD-cabbed Albions, but by the end of the 1960s, they were using some 'Ergomatic'-cabbed vehicles (quite possibly also Albions).

There was a very good Fotopic site dedicated to 'classic' commercial vehicles; does anyone know what's become of it? I recollect there were lots of shots of older British vehicles taken in Malta.

If anyone's looking for a mid-1960s-1980s British tipper to stand alongside the truck-mixer, Oxford have listed an Ergomatic-cabbed AEC in 'Hoveringham' livery amongst next year's proposed releases.

Brian

Just found this

http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/

HTH

Simon

• Like 1

Have just seen on J.Ayrey website that Oxforddiecast are going to make an AEC Ergomatic 6 wheel tipper. It looks a good cab/chassis for conversion into a cement mixer?

Have just seen on J.Ayrey website that Oxforddiecast are going to make an AEC Ergomatic 6 wheel tipper. It looks a good cab/chassis for conversion into a cement mixer?

The cab's already orange..

Edited by Fat Controller

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Further to the discussions above about the scale of the Cararama Scania mixer model. I recently acquired one of these with a view to mount the cement mixing drum from it onto the back of a Base Toys 60s Leyland chassis or similar. (I note the comment above about the new 6 wheeler from Oxford which would probably be better).

However the drum from the Scania appears to be very large for the period I want (early 60s) - Are the modern mixer drums bigger than they used to be then? I would assume the answer is yes as the load carrying capability of the modern truck chassis is much geater.

The Scania is an 8 wheeler so not only are modern trucks bigger it is also a bigger truck and has a much bigger drum than a sixties six wheeler .

Herpa / Kibri/ Wiking 1.87 drums from 6 wheel modern trucks fit 1.76 sixties trucks fine as the increase in modern truck mixer size is offset by the decrease in scale .

Many sixties mixer trucks carried an independent diesel engine behind cab ( usually Fordson Major type) to drive mixer and this also reduced drum size.

http://www.transportphotos.com/road/photo/HuL1081

http://www.transportphotos.com/road/photo/HuK0726

http://www.transportphotos.com/road/photo/CX00192

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the link and the pictures at the site - very helpful.

You can also, in fact, see the size difference in the photos of models in this forum above. I guess I did not spend enough time looking at those pictures properly and misinterpreted what was being said. I had thought that it was being stated in the forum that the later Scania mixer body would fit the older model but it actually doesn't say that so it's my fault. Obvious when you think about it.

I will keep an eye open for the Herpa / Kibri/ Wiking 1.87 drums and try again. A lesson learnt!

Thanks for your help.