dinkyme

Cement Mixer Truck 1/76

Ebay is your friend for the 1.87 stuff !

Also usually 'old stuff under table' at model rail show stands. :)

Inspired to come up with something myself. Nothing glued together yet but comprises of:

Foden cab from RTI, Base toys chassis and a Kibri 1/87 body. Was worried about the scale of the body but I think it just about works

WIP RTI Foden1.jpg

WIP_RTI_Foden2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

That looks remarkably good.   Could you tell us which Base Toys chassis and Kibri cement mixer lorry you used as "donors" ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phil gollin said:

That looks remarkably good.   Could you tell us which Base Toys chassis and Kibri cement mixer lorry you used as "donors" ?

Thank you - ebay purchases - Kibri Mercedes Cement Mixer and Base Toys Thames Trader (shortened)

Kibri Cement Mixer cropped.jpg

Thames Trader.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's also the Spanish EKO mixer, which came on various chassis including Unic (pictured), Barrieros and Pegaso. Although the cab/chassis are to around HO scale, the mixer body needs a bit of simple trimming to bring it down to an acceptable width for 1/76. Also pictured is a Foden S21 mixer in the early stages of construction using a cab from RTI mounted on a modified Base Toy chassis and more suitable wheels. 

unicmix.jpg

fodenmix.JPG

• Like 4

Takes me back to watching them load at Issac Jones' yard in Furnace, Llanelli. Apart from Fodens, I remember Leyland/AEC/Albions with LAD and Ergomatic cabs, Commer/Dodges and Ford D-series; strangely, I can't remember any Bedfords.

• Like 3

Bedfords never popular in mixer trade ,  suppose they were seen as light/middle weight trucks although they did have the KM .

• Agree 2

Ford D series and the later Cargo were not used very often either probably for the same reason. A heavyweight chassis is a requirement for cement mixers due to the enormous strains put on it by a constantly moving load with a high centre of gravity.