Class 101 lights

NZmodeller

Hi Everyone,

Looking at the advanced photos from Farish it would appear that the blue and blue/grey versions will have a central high density light. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't recall seeing those lights on DMUs in the 70s. Many 101s retained their 2 character headcode or simply had the 2 yellow lights. I remember the HD lights first appeared on the class 87s but were not adopted as standard until much later. Interestingly, the 108 model has been produced without the central light.

Forgive the pun but could anyone shed any light on this subject?

Peter

Some of the early build 101's did not have headcode blinds, but had 4 marker lights instead, one above the destination blind, and the other 3 below the windscreens. The middle light in the blue model is a round marker light, not a square high intensity headlight. It was quite common for blue liveried units to retain the origional pattern markerlights for some time, less common for blue/grey sets but there were a few.

dmustu is quite correct. These are headcode lights (matching the old 'steam' headcodes), not headlights. The surplus lights were removed during the refurbishment programme of the mid/late '70s (if they hadn't already gone) so it would be correct to have them on green and blue units. This is also the time that red tail lights appeared, when extra red bulbs were put in. Before that the use of an oil tail lamp (lit at night/fog, etc.) on a bracket was universal on BR DMUs (Southern Region DEMUs were different, of course.) but I suspect they will incorrectly have red tail lights even on the pre-refurb. versions, as on their 108.

Looking at the pictures on the Bachmann site, the blue/grey and parcels versions have no centre light and the green one has a centre headcode panel - all seem to be authentic. As far as I can see the blue one and the Regional Railways have a similar-looking centre light. This could be wrong as the blue one should have a round light like the others but RR should have a high-intensity light in a square casing.

Thankd DMUSTU and others , that's cleared things up a lot

Looking at the pictures on the Bachmann site, the blue/grey and parcels versions have no centre light and the green one has a centre headcode panel - all seem to be authentic. As far as I can see the blue one and the Regional Railways have a similar-looking centre light. This could be wrong as the blue one should have a round light like the others but RR should have a high-intensity light in a square casing.

Just checked the other forum and it's clear from all the photos - including the pre production models that Farish are producing a version that will be correct for that type of blue 101. I have to comment though that by far the most common look in the 70s was the blue with a 2 character headcode which is not available in this batch at least. For this reason for me the B/G one is a little more appealing but it's definately a late 70s look at the earliest

Peter

Archived