The "Fiddlestick Switch Job"

shortliner

I know I said I'd post some updated piccys, but I have just decided to do an updated/different warehouse. building for the back-scene Regretably this will need to wait till I get into Inverness for some paint and bits - I'd like to do a stormy sky too, so this is going to take rather longer than I thought. I'd like this one to move out of Florida, so if anyone has suggestions and ideas/suggestions for suitable trees, at building ends to replace the palms (please, NOT bottle-brush Pines!) I'd appreciate it. I have a rather nice CF7 lettered for Transrail in "grey ghost" and a Geep 35 in "Arizona and California" that might work well

Edited by shortliner

Jack..how about an northern autumn with hardwoods either turning colours or starting to Les their leaves. Grey gloomy skies are easy to paint..just use some grey and blue acrylic mixed Willy-hilly on the back scene

Ray - I strongly suspect that the sky is going to be a DIY paint job with torn sponge applicators - stormy skies are difficult to find.

Gene, Great idea but what sort of trees - the problem is it needs to be reasonably, but not excessively, bushy, but tall enough that the lower branches will be high enough to clear the rolling stock, and being across the pond, I don't know what grows where, except in desert regions!

Edited by shortliner

"Geep 35 in "Arizona and California""

Hey Jack, the Arizona & California Railroad is in the Mojave Desert of the two namesake states with a branch line to Phoenix, Arizona(via BNSF trackage rights). As far as the type of trees to use, I would say use either Joshua trees or deciduous trees.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

Edited by Wendell1976
  • Like 1

Ray - I strongly suspect that the sky is going to be a DIY paint job with torn sponge applicators - stormy skies are difficult to find.Gene, Great idea but what sort of trees - the problem is it needs to be reasonably, but not excessively, bushy, but tall enough that the lower branches will be high enough to clear the rolling stock, and being across the pond, I don't know what grows where, except in desert regions!

Jack...Maples,Aspens,Birches,Oaks.....you could emulate Mike Confalones spring thaw mud-season( less colours but interesting) http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/13402-mike-confalones-awesome-allagash-railway/

Or go for a classic colourful North-eastern autumn like this

post-6759-0-89052200-1534014106_thumb.png

• Like 3

Jack...Maples,Aspens,Birches,Oaks.....you could emulate Mike Confalones spring thaw mud-season( less colours but interesting) http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/13402-mike-confalones-awesome-allagash-railway/

Or go for a classic colourful North-eastern autumn like this

Thanks for that, Gene. Part of the problem is that it will be a single tree - (there really isn't room for more), and it needs to be demountable along with the back-board. I think I have found a suitable candidate from the Model Tree Shop here in Scotland , and am awaiting its arrival. Not got to Inverness so far so still need some paint and bits - hopefully early this week.

• Like 1

So, I said (back on the 9th), I'd do some updated pictures with a new "stormy skies" background, and a different warehouse. Sorry it has taken a week, but here they are, along with some new (different) locos - hope you like them

post-6688-0-73978200-1534524516_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-57202800-1534524540_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-38526600-1534524599_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-30029300-1534524629_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-68303600-1534524653_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-99102800-1534524694_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-96831400-1534524717_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-84536100-1534524746_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-05189000-1534524781_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-73197800-1534525076_thumb.jpg

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry, Jack, I should really have spotted this thread much earlier, I only just got here thanks to your post re successful eye test on the early risers. Now must pick up links and digest thoroughly, great job.

Northroader - glad you found it - I have to tell everybody that the layout, minus back-scene was stood on end behind a door awaiting some work, and a rather enthusiastic "door opening" snapped off the fence  (loud cries of "OH, BU99ER!" ) -  so I am involved in rebuilding (as per Luke Towans video)

and possibly fitting a gate(  per Thomas Klimoskis video )

Hopefully the upgrades will prove that a simple layout can provide  be extended / adjusted / changed and still provide interest over time. I am also looking at a bolt-on rear section that may well hold a further track and widen the layout with another back scene fitted to the rear - regrettably that idea has also triggered thoughts of adding some more trackage to the layout, although the additions will need to travel separately as it will no longer fit in its box

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Folks I know this is an old posting and our dear friend Jack is no longer with us but I had intended to build this layout last year but that never happened. But as a tribute to Jack I would like to have ago at building one this summer .

Just one question if anyone could help but I wonder where jack got  the warehouse from please?

Thanks

Johna

• 5 months later...

I know this is an older thread but I stumbled upon this layout while searching for a new n scale track plan. I love the micro layout idea and adapted this to my space although I am doing away with the selector plate idea and just extending the track to accommodate the loco and cars. Thanks for the inspiration

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Shortliner i to  have only just come across your thread  on your fiddel stick switch job   i must have stumbled across it when looking at the o scale chicago fork . have mucked around with a few micro  layouts box file size i wanted to try some thing  a bit bigger but still on the simple  one turn out  theam . seeing yours  and the chicago fork  i went out and brought a new bit of board and sorted out some track  can i ask on page one it shows some sizes  did you in the end  build it to fit a storage box . or was it bigger  thanks .