Camelot Junction Archive.

Loch Ectary1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Before I sail into a storm, this post is about my observations about said site! I'm not having a go at the creator, just informing members of my experiences and observations.

I thought that the layout (Camelot Junction) was broken up because Simon (the builder) had split up with his wife. From what I understood he also upset a lot of people who used to take part in a chat group by saying some quite insulting things about their modelling. He had quite a well paid job, signalling in Network Rail I think as every so often he would set a webcam up in one of the signal boxes that he was operating, and he had the finances to just go out and buy two full HST sets in one sitting where many members of his 'group' wouldn't be able to do this. He could be quite cutting with his remarks about other modellers abilities and I often thought that forgot that the average age on his quite was probably about 16, so those modellers didn't have access to the skills base that he had.

I went on the chat section quite a few times, but it was full of kids swearing at each other most of the time so I didn't bother returning in the end; the idea of having 10 year olds as moderators to me is a bit strange! He also had a paypal link for people to donate any pennies that they had left over so he could 'keep the layout going' and when he pulled the plug on the site quite a few people where rather upset as they felt he had just taken their money and then run off!

He first started to wind the site down about 3 and a half years ago now, because I had just started working in Trowbridge at that time and one afternoon discovered RMWeb which was when I jumped ships, very glad I did too!

Personally I would say that any new site linked to him should be viewed with extreme caution, lots of people got their fingers burnt.

Kind regards,

Nick

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well I was very happy to have found an old copy of model rail magazine at a show I visited. While looking threw the many i bought I found some great stuff and ideas but wow there it was, Camelot junction.

Some great photos and the track plan showing the horseshoe design with the helix. Thank you to mumbles for allowing model rail magazine to do a feature on this great layout.

• 1 month later...

Okay let me clear this up for alot of people this should answer basic stuff. 1 there wont be a mk2 for a long long time. 2 the reason it was dismantled was because basicly too costly that is as far as i will go in detail of that. Personal to simon so i dont wanna be a prat and let the whole world know. Also website is down and there is a fake one going still under www.camelotjunction.com but it is a copy of the text and pictures. It only has like 1 page and that is it. The layout was yes a brilliant layout and is actualy my dream layout that will be getting modeled in the future when im older. If people have questions about camelot please feel free to ask me and i will answer as best as i can but at the same time i will be keeping simons privacy at all times. So i will answer just using other ways of wording things if needed. Please do feel free to ask questions though i will answer as best as i can. The reason i know things about it aswell is because i asked simon and got answers :D spoken a few times and was always chating when he used to use msn and stuff and i followed progress very closely.

• 1 month later...

Hi Chaps,

There is a way to view the old site, sadly though without the images. There is a programme in the states, whose aim is to archive the internet in the same way other records are. Fortunately, the old Camelot Junction website was crawled and archived last, in Aug 2010. You can view the site through the Archive here: http://web.archive.org/web/20100810010029/http://www.camelotjunction.co.uk/

Cheers

Chris

I have a copy of the website on webs and once i finish setting all the hosting up it will be on a webs domian so you can all go look at the site with the pics and everything :D well as many pics as ive got and i might even post the videos in a video page :D

im looking forward to it :) i really hope you managed to get the how to pages too :) please ..

im looking forward to it :) i really hope you managed to get the how to pages too :) please ..

Yeah man thanks and yeah it will include as much as the how to pages as possible for sure :D there are maybee 10 of the pictures out the whole website missing but i will post whatever i have. :D

• 1 year later...

Hmm well everyone I have been away for a long time in college and studying as well as moving house. I am now about to convert my own attic again and start my new railway up there along the course of this I will be printing a load of camelot pictures out and also using them as references and guides to re model it as best I can in the space I have got. It may end up that I cant use all of it and only take the tmd or flip the station about but I will try to recreate alot of it. I am also working on a camelot website that will be hosted under www.camelotjunction.co.uk and will be a archive of the original site for everyone to look back upon and enjoy. I am also going to ask two friends of mine who are friends of the Owner who is Simon not Mumbles to get confirmation that he is okay with me hosting it as a lookback site so us modelers can view it once again. Thanks all and hope everyone had a good Christmas and new year.

• 1 month later...

So glad I found some of the pictures of this to me very inspiring layout. Fortunately I saved one of the videos that was posted to Youtube. It's the grand tour so to speak and I use it to understand the layout of the track and see what I can pick up for my layout. My room is quite different though, but this layout very cleverly used hidden sharp turns and layers too give a nice division between scenes and worlds. I'm not sure the rightful owner of Camelot Junction would approve of me posting his grand tour video. But I'll keep is quite safe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

One of my old hard drives that had 97% of videos from camelot and at least 97% of the pictures to was damaged. It was dropped when I was away working and along with camelot pics and videos I lost a hell of a lot of personal work projects such as websites and stuff. I have not given up however as I am pretty sure there will be some archive somewhere on the web of the website and all its photos I am currently searching however might have to contact google and see if they have any un indexed archived back ups of the website. 

• 2 months later...

Archived