James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium

This week I've spent a little time working on some HTA coal hoppers for my mate Mark Butcher, another Worthing MRC Loftus Road gangmember.

I've dirtied up his Bachmann hoppers and at the request of Mark, let loose the graffiti artist!

28189370814_0d22e6c9f6_b.jpgHTA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Based on a couple of real life photographs, I've handpainted the graffiti just as it appears on the HTAs - as effectively giant maroon canvasses, it is amazing how many of these have been blighted by graffiti at some point, with numerous attacks to their once-smart bodysides.

28522551130_e850166d1b_b.jpgHTA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've used fine 00000 paintbrushes and gently painted on the images, the hardest part was trying to get good coverage over the pipework - however I do love how the "artist"s manage to paint their graffiti all over the many different surfaces and textures!

One of the wagons features the more numerous rough tagging, whilst the other features a complete multi-colour mural, built up over several layers:  

28806916975_db9bb5f6ed_b.jpgHTA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I start out with the lighter colours first and paint the backgrounds, and gradually work up to the black highlighting. It can be time consuming waiting for all the coats of paint to dry but ideal for a series of quicky 10-minute modelling sessions over the course of weekday evenings!

28189375364_c2087da17a_b.jpgHTA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I often find the Humbrol gloss colours paint better than the matt ones, so I tend to follow the above process and then just give the wagon a good dose of Railmatch matt varnish to flatten it all down and away we go!

28701614432_9fcbc08c48_b.jpgHTA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've got a few more interesting pieces I'm doing for Mark but these will definitely add some colour to an otherwise uniform HTA rake, and who knows, it could even make an appearance on Loftus Road at somepoint soon!

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

It may or may not be useful to some but the 'Electrostar' drawing is back on Bombardier's website below -

28808084475_cc68f56525_b.jpgBombardier Electrostar drawings captured by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It occasionally has come and gone, but seems to be here for the moment!

http://www.bombardier.com/content/dam/Websites/bombardiercom/Projects/technical-drawings/electrostar-diesel%20multiple%20unit-techdraw.gif

Happy modelling!

James

Edited by James Makin

• RMweb Premium

I've spent a little time working on some smaller wagons lately, these two opens being the latest to roll off the workbench!

OCA 112242 in faded EWS livery, and caged OBA 110173 in its rusty grey colour scheme.

28192851783_0b79ce72cb_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

First up is the OBA, and 110173 features caged side doors, presumably once converted from a standard wooden-sided OBA wagon. 

The starting point for this was one of my Bachmann OBA wagons, I have far too many similar ones and had no hesitation in breaking this one right open! 

28192848603_50c61002d7_z.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I thought it would be as easy as just fabricating the new sides, but no - Bachmann's plastic is very thick, so when you take away the sides, you realise the floor is massive and far too high! 

So I had to go a stage further, the ends were simply cut off the wagon and the entire thing binned, only the solebar side details and bogie pivot parts have been retained, the rest of the wagon is built around a brand new plasticard flooring, to which the bogies and Bachmann details have been attached.

28702786162_1fcf42d4cb_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

You can see from the background that it was Christmas time when the project was started!!

I'd opted for the approach of using a brass guide rail at the top, and filling in the grid areas with some old Shawplan etching, which seemed to be about the right size.

28190663054_850998d87b_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

After a lot of glueing, it started to all come together. Within the mesh work, there are some small frames that support the caged doors as they fold down, I decided to use some Krystal Klear to gently fill some lines in within the mesh, and once painted, the idea being that it'd look like the thin framework that exists on the prototype.

28702790662_2650b795d0_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Anyway, I left this project for a little while and started on a HST project, but decided to return to it a couple of weeks back and subject it to a good painting and weathering session!

28702792022_f155f47070_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The Krystal Klear framework idea seems to have done the trick, and it looks like a gentle and not overly heavy framework. I just need to give the wagon a small load now, these wagons can carry anything from new sleepers to bagged aggregates, so I just need to spend a little while thinking exactly what my train will be carrying!

28702793202_ee921eba88_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Following the OBA, I also decided to tackle a Bachmann OCA wagon, with the below being based on an EWS example that I'd snapped up at the Warley show last year. Prototype 112242 was quite faded and patch-painted, so seemed like a good one to pick.

28702793832_1e5b9114c7_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The model was faded using coats of white and grey, followed by some actual pink on certain panels. I then gave the wagon a good wash of varying browns to recreate the rust streaking and dirt build ups in the recesses. The centre door hinge mechanisms were covered in oil, and I've added these on here too.

28192866763_4889bd7e1d_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Finishing touches were the brake discs from the Colin Craig range, only about 60p a pop, well worth it!

28192868193_e23bdfda71_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28702796842_ef3883407a_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I just need to get some good couplings sorted now but these are otherwise ready to join the lengthening ballast train on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road - a dirty old green Class 47 is waiting for them!

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 18

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

With Easter last week, I decided to crack on with a quick project on Good Friday... a couple more OBA's for the Loftus Rd ballast train!

28192870953_7c259c2761_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

EWS's OBA fleet was pretty doggy by the early 2000s, many of the wagons soldiering on with battered sides and some new replacement planks, leading to the once uniform engineering 'Dutch' and 'Satlink' liveries being long ruined with a variety of different coloured sides.

With privatisation, some OBA's gained full EWS livery, but the majority weren't so lucky - but what they did gain was a 'mock'-EWS scheme, maroon replacement side boards on top of the old 'Dutch' grey, leading to an interesting hybrid livery on numerous examples. I decided to replicate a former 'Dutch' OBA 110076 and EWS-imposter 110035.

Bright and early Friday morning, out came the familiar blue and red boxes to reveal these two shiny beauties -

28731037551_92a308c03e_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

As some may have noticed, Bachmann print production dates on the insides of the cardboard sleeves...1st September 2006 for this pair - shocking that they've been cocooned for eight years until now, time to set them free!

Over the long weekend I spent short periods gradually applying the various layers of greys, browns and faded yellows between some BBQs, torrential rain and action-packed Bank Holiday BTCC coverage on ITV4...by the time I was ready to go back to work, the wagons looked like this...

28731038941_f88ba481a5_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

One of the 'features' attracting me to OBA 110076 was the graffiti on the side, a basic silver & black affair over the top of the 'Dutch' colours, but interesting nevertheless. I would recommend some fine paintbrushes and Lana Del Rey to complete this particular task.

After a fair bit of detail painting, transfer application and varnishing, the wagons were ready for action -

28702802782_b094cb6ce1_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Phoenix concrete grey was used for the ends, while the planking colours are a real mix, I can count at least 9 different shades visible here, including some EWS red replacements on the right hand end - photographs of the prototype can be found on Flickr for comparison.

28776447436_2aef9cf27b_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The TOPS lettering was a right pain - the real thing has very rough handpainted lettering, lucky I am just as rough in model form!!

Graffiti was applied along with the Engineer's fishy 'Bass' designation and wonky OHLE flashes, this wagon is a right dodgy one! I especially enjoyed the weathering, with rust streaking from the exposed metal fittings, where water and gravity lead to rust deposits running down the sides of the wooden planking.

28776448496_f0303a7649_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Next up was 110035 in the faux-EWS scheme, this features light grey metal bodywork with patch-painted faded maroon planking of at least 4 different shades!

28731042611_9f49bfb64a_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Offering a slightly smarter appearance, this OBA has nicer stencilled lettering and OHLE flashes not looking like they've been applied by someone out on the lash!

28776450616_f98f48ac59_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28776451506_967dec4763_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And there we go, another pair down! It took about a week to tackle the duo, with delays mainly being waiting for paint to dry before tackling the next stage of weathering, so perfect to fit in during a busy week with the odd half hour evening modelling session crammed between everything else!

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Your vision and skill is simply stunning James, from scenery to weathering to the all-important tiny details, you've got it all.

You lucky *******!!

Fantastic work, I've enjoyed this thread immensely.

Mark

Thanks Mark that is a really nice message!

I think the breadth of stuff comes down to me getting bored really quite easily, as you see in this thread I'll start with a loco project, relieve boredom through tackling buildings then a few wagons and coaches and then onto some road vehicles and back to a loco! I do admire those who can pick a single subject and become masters of a genre but think I'll always be a mixer and a proud bodger!

I definitely encourage anyone to have a go though, I started railway modelling aged 12 (I modelled ruined a Hornby 90013 The Law Society by repainting in Intercity) and had numerous disasters over the years, the only difference now is when it inevitably goes t*ts up I think 'I know how to fix that' rather than just start crying (well, mostly)!! laughing.gif 

• Like 2

I'm still at the very beginning stages of reprinting and detailing models (the crying when things go wrong stage) but this thread and your work has been a true inspiration as to how I can improve my own models and the little details that I need to look out for.

Keep up the great work as it really is amazing.

Luke

• RMweb Premium

Has the 47 entered the printshop yet ?

Nearly Rob, it's on the upcoming list!

I've got 8 Bachmann class 47s awaiting their transformation to early 2000s condition, can't wait to get started - nostalgia is definitely flowing!

• Like 1