James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

More fantastic work James! The scratches & resulting rust runs look very effective.

Do you print your TOPS panels / logos etc onto transfers/decal paper or just regular paper & glue them on?

Many thanks

• RMweb Premium

More fantastic work James! The scratches & resulting rust runs look very effective.

Do you print your TOPS panels / logos etc onto transfers/decal paper or just regular paper & glue them on?

Many thanks

Thanks Sam!

The TOPS panels I normally just print onto regular photo paper and glue them on, if I was tackling a really 'special' project like the Electrostar or the 4-VEP I'd make an effort to get the transfer paper and print it off on a laser printer from somewhere* (doesn't seem to work as well on my home inkjet) but for little wagons generally I can't be bothered with the hassle of doing that!

My top tip is actually to go for the cheaper end of the photographic paper market, get some super-thin stuff with low GSM value and it's normally better than the thicker heavyweight premium type - when put on the wagon body you can barely see the outlines as a result!

Often I will cover a whole panel entirely with paper, printed the same as the body colour of the wagon to disguise the joins if it is anticipated to be challenging - as on that faded blue Mainline OCA 112001 from a few weeks back, or some of the OBAs from last year where I'll put on the TOPS panel and then use a scalpel to carve back in the missing planking over the top! Once weathered the colour often fades down and behaves very similarly to any other part of the wagon, just try not to get it too wet before varnishing!

Edited by James Makin

Thanks Sam!

The TOPS panels I normally just print onto regular photo paper and glue them on, if I was tackling a really 'special' project like the Electrostar or the 4-VEP I'd make an effort to get the transfer paper and print it off on a laser printer from somewhere* (doesn't seem to work as well on my home inkjet) but for little wagons generally I can't be bothered with the hassle of doing that!

My top tip is actually to go for the cheaper end of the photographic paper market, get some super-thin stuff with low GSM value and it's normally better than the thicker heavyweight premium type - when put on the wagon body you can barely see the outlines as a result!

Often I will cover a whole panel entirely with paper, printed the same as the body colour of the wagon to disguise the joins if it is anticipated to be challenging - as on that faded blue Mainline OCA 112001 from a few weeks back, or some of the OBAs from last year where I'll put on the TOPS panel and then use a scalpel to carve back in the missing planking over the top! Once weathered the colour often fades down and behaves very similarly to any other part of the wagon, just try not to get it too wet before varnishing!

Thanks James. I tried used self adhesive labels for my recent TDA project. They came out ok but have to position them right first time as you can't "slide" them into position. Will hunt out some thin photo paper.

Cheers

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've gotta say it's partially your work James, that has got me eyeing up the forthcoming 37s from Bachmann in EWS and mainline, ids there a place in my life for a mid - late 90s plank ??

Thanks Rob! There must always be a place for a late 90s plank! The trouble with my 'plank' plan is that it's developed into a complete new small layout plan haha! Really looking forward to getting started on it, hopefully later this year after getting more done on Loftus Rd! Looking forward to hearing how your develops!

Yer ive also got my eye on EWS 37 and mainline 37 too :senile: :locomotive:

Very tempting! Only challenge is they already come weathered, would've been better for renumbering if Bachmann left these ex works! 37248 'Midland Railway Centre' has been on my 'to do' list for a while but I fancy doing it with a bit of a washed out look!

Neil you've already got a 100 37s !

There was 309 though, I make that another 200+ models to go?!

• Like 1

Good stuff,

I was toying with the idea of 248 as well, there were so many interesting 37s In that period before a tidal wave of sheds came and knocked them out.

It's kind of nostaligia about how I got back in modelling as well - in 98 I went to the legendary Toton open day and brought a Lima 37057 ' Viking ' in the new and funky EWS colours , this was followed by 37219 in mainline. They then sat in a drawer under my bed for a year and a half until I thought I needed somewhere to run them.

Mainline blue was my favourite colour and very relevant to the south east where I was brought up.

strangely there are many photos of manline stuff in EWS days, but not much when it was just mainline in its own

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's been fairly quiet on my threads lately as I pile in the hours on detailing and finishing First Great Western HST coaching stock - nearly there now, but with such fiddly and monotonous tasks repeated eight times over, I often get distracted!

In between work and while waiting for glues and paints to dry etc, I've knocked up another cheeky little VGA!

28300133743_118861cbe6_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Joining the fleet today is VGA 210618 - like the others, a replica of the prototype photographed at Didcot on MOD traffic in the early 2000s. I'll be the first to admit it's not my finest work but I'm fairly happy that this is purely the result of just having a play in the dead modelling time while a much more important project was on the go! 

28630615110_bd58e8c36a_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

As with the previous VGAs, this started out life in ex-works EWS maroon livery, although you'd never know it! Painted into silver with faded yellow ends, I gave it a brown wash and treated it to a bumper crop of Hazchem scars, this is what really attracted me to this prototype!

28840000351_2d86ec4c0d_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

A lot of the Hazchem scarring also featured streaking, this was created by heaping paint in a diamond shape and then wiping downwards with cotton buds, then repainting the diamond to retain the original colour density. Selena Gomez provided a powerful soundtrack in what must be one of the best singles of 2015 so far.

28300144713_c15f000b0f_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Final touches were the Colin Craig brake discs and a chassis mottled in a variety of Humbrol browns and greys.

28297977774_82cdbb0ae5_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And into service! I'm really hoping to get those FGW Mk3 coaches finished now, such a chore but at least there is a side-effect to getting bored during the larger projects! 

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Nice wagon as ever !

I've just got my three VGAs out as my next plank is going to be around 96-98.

Maybe one day I'll finish something

Thanks Rob, looking forward to your plank taking shape! My plank is going to take a bit longer...more like a whole sideboard now but should hopefully just fit in the back of the car!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the feedback chaps!

I've just got some more wagons as well - bargain bonanza here courtesy of Hornby's shop on Amazon!

post-6896-0-64451000-1438105440_thumb.jpg

They've been selling off the horrendous graffiti HAA at £8.78, ended up buying 10 of these keenly-priced beasties! Amazon have put the price back up to £13 now which still isn't too bad if you're in the market for them still, but upon delivery you can see why Hornby are clearing out stocks!! The weathering is poorly applied and the graffiti is the weirdest ever! I would eat a lump of coal if Hornby can prove all this graffiti really did land on 351854 and it's not some bizarre Margate designers dream haha!!

I've had a change of heart with the HAAs recently, selling all my old-style Hornby ones recently and replacing with new-shape versions, they've both got big errors but the new ones have less fiddly bits to add to the chassis, simple as that haha!

These dodgy HAAs will be added to the 'collection' which is now standing at 65 new shape hoppers (!!), definitely got to get the teeth into these at some point soon...!

• Like 12

It's been fairly quiet on my threads lately as I pile in the hours on detailing and finishing First Great Western HST coaching stock - nearly there now, but with such fiddly and monotonous tasks repeated eight times over, I often get distracted!

In between work and while waiting for glues and paints to dry etc, I've knocked up another cheeky little VGA!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA40.jpg

Joining the fleet today is VGA 210618 - like the others, a replica of the prototype photographed at Didcot on MOD traffic in the early 2000s. I'll be the first to admit it's not my finest work but I'm fairly happy that this is purely the result of just having a play in the dead modelling time while a much more important project was on the go! 

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA39.jpg

As with the previous VGAs, this started out life in ex-works EWS maroon livery, although you'd never know it! Painted into silver with faded yellow ends, I gave it a brown wash and treated it to a bumper crop of Hazchem scars, this is what really attracted me to this prototype!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA37.jpg

A lot of the Hazchem scarring also featured streaking, this was created by heaping paint in a diamond shape and then wiping downwards with cotton buds, then repainting the diamond to retain the original colour density. Selena Gomez provided a powerful soundtrack in what must be one of the best singles of 2015 so far.

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA38.jpg

Final touches were the Colin Craig brake discs and a chassis mottled in a variety of Humbrol browns and greys.

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA36.jpg

And into service! I'm really hoping to get those FGW Mk3 coaches finished now, such a chore but at least there is a side-effect to getting bored during the larger projects! 

quality work again

looks great

make mine look too clean

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In post 420: "The coach bellow gangways themselves are produced by Stuart Clarke - trading on eBay as 'Great Little Gangways' - they live up to their name"

Where did you get the corridor connectors? I have trouble sourcing them from ebay and figures I might as well make my own.

Class work James, really looks the part!

I've only got a NMT in NR yellow, but I'll definitely try to add pipes now.

And yes I've experimented with single pipes with magnets too, and they are now buried in the carpet at the other end of the room from my bench! :no:

Jack.

Shame you've made that old obvious mistake, James. Those are the narrower EP65 Mk 24b connectors which had been completely phased out by the time that livery had been introduced. To be replaced by the TM4xa Mk 3 version of course. An obvious mistake to make, but we all make them, don't we? The cables on the newer units are to BXp 54 standard too of course and so should be a scale 0.02mm in diameter larger. There should be 14 rivets in a diagonal pattern on the connectors too. Still, never mind. 

:jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Sorry James, couldn't resist it!

Fantastic work as ever. That's an impressive HST set you're developing there and those corridor connections really do look the business. That's something that's been on my list for my HSTs for some time, so thanks for the tip!

Cheers

Dave