James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

Nice one once again James,

looks like an everyday loco you would see at somewhere like didcot !

I’m dreading Putting blobs of grey paint on loco sides as “ gone through to primer “, what’s the secret ?

i was thinking of making a stencil and spraying grey ....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the likes and comments guys, I wasn't expecting that for a plain old '37' haha!

The undercoat patches were created by drybrushing a very light grey on top of the bodyside and then using super fine brushes mottling on little blobs of lighter and darker greys, and a slightly darker grey just around the edges of the peeling patch to highlight some of the tiny bits of grime that get caught in the level change on the bodysides.

Hope that helps!

James

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Yet more great work James. I'm sure it's been asked but after your initial paint on and wipe off, do you then use the same colours for the airbrush coat? 

Edited by sb67
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2020 at 06:26, sb67 said:

Yet more great work James. I'm sure it's been asked but after your initial paint on and wipe off, do you then use the same colours for the airbrush coat? 

Thanks very much! It’s normally different shades for that, I tend to do the earlier hand weathering almost all with Humbrols generally, then for the final blow over with some of the Phoenix range like their frame dirt, brake dust, roof dirt, dirty black and then finally for the exhaust itself I mix dark grey and very dark blue for an oily tinge to the deposits!

It doesn’t often make it to the photos but before the weathering stage I paint the factory black underframes in Humbrol 32 dark grey, on the theory that the stock does get a tough time on the exhibition circuit (normally me crashing my own trains while talking at someone) and so if any top layer weathering gets scraped off you only see dark grey behind rather than stark black plastic!

Cheers,

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Stunning work James! Although I have to admit I'm not sure which I like more in your latest post, Florence's How Big How Blue is an excellent album (especially Ship to Wreck / Queen of Peace) but I am a big fan of the humble Duff and you've turned those two out just how I remember seeing them as a kid passing through Basingstoke! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, jonas said:

City of Hereford - one I’ve wanted to tackle in N gauge! Your faded red is spot on - as always, inspirational work James.

Thanks very much! 

The fading was a bit touch and go at times, it’s a mix of white and light grey paint-on/wipe-off washes, it always looks too drastic at first until the later layers of brown/grey washes fill in all the crevices and even up the appearance! :lol:

Cheers,

James

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Very nice !

you must have enough to fill didcot SP several times over now !

Haha, possibly more working Class 47s than the real EWS could muster at any given time :lol:

• Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Careful with the hoovers James, once bitten forever smitten.....

Even that bloke with all the Yellow stock has got one. :lol:

I visit the Southampton area fairly frequently for work, and try to make sure I stay near enough to Eastleigh to make it possible to spend a couple of hours of the evening at the station (after driving over the bridge to view the works!)

A very pleasant way to pass on a couple of hours !!

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1