James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the likes and comments guys! :)

18 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Very nice job on 019, 

I’m very tempted to do one of the 56s that ended up on Virgin XC with the Cavelex one (though I’m more tempted towards the Loadhaul example than 019 at the moment.  (Though with 56049 I already have one more class 56 than I really need in Cornwall…)

looking forward to the next batch…

Cheers Rich, I agree on the Loadhaul ones, they looked fierce as well! :sungum:

I would like to do one of those so will likely wait and get a Cavalex one for that, and I'm also tempted by their Romanian EWS version as well, for a renumber to 56011.

13 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi James.,

Did I read that right, 40 locos done since January? You've been busy, I need to pull my finger out. These have turned out nice James. I know what you mean about Hornby's take on railfreight triple grey, I plan to re-visit my model of 56073 at some point. It was done as a ' quick n dirty' from a coal sector machine, but when I compare it to my other sector locos I'm not happy with it.

Cheers.

Thanks Wayne! Yeah, 40 locos! It sounds crazy, it was originally going to be a batch of about 20 (like last year's one) but I wanted to get through the stash and thought i'll just do this one and then this one, and it just sort of grew! I like to save up the final airbrush weathering to do in one final batch at the end but it did become a bit of a logistical nightmare moving 40 locos around to each get their turn in front of the spray!

7 hours ago, Rhysb said:

Cracking James well done! Love the roof peel! A technique I’m still trying to master!

Rhys

Haha, thanks Rhys! The roof peel for this one was a case of painting the light grey top coat first, then dabbing on faded blue with a dry brush, and then drybrushing more roof grey over the top to blend it a little, and finally across the top of the whole roof I stippled on darker and lighter greys with a scabby, splayed old brush , and it all seemed to come together in the end!

Cheers,

James 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

56's look fantastic. Not sure what date you worked on for 56019, but by the time it made its infamous trip to Bournemouth it had gained EWS Red axle boxes.

I recall it was on 1V50 from Manchester to Birmingham before working the Bournemouth which had it stuck to diagram would have headed West. I'd heard it was going to get ripped at Birmingham to work 1O38 (I think) so took a risk and leapt from Exeter to Basingstoke. Remember the bloke in the ticket office at Exeter trying to tell me I didn't need to go to Basingstoke to get to Bournemouth when I tried to buy tickets so eventually I just said give me a return to Basingstoke. A friend of mind did a conversion on an old Mainline model for me!

56019.jpg.49902aaa2b638ab55964b2cbf21c1d65.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, D6775 said:

56's look fantastic. Not sure what date you worked on for 56019, but by the time it made its infamous trip to Bournemouth it had gained EWS Red axle boxes.

I recall it was on 1V50 from Manchester to Birmingham before working the Bournemouth which had it stuck to diagram would have headed West. I'd heard it was going to get ripped at Birmingham to work 1O38 (I think) so took a risk and leapt from Exeter to Basingstoke. Remember the bloke in the ticket office at Exeter trying to tell me I didn't need to go to Basingstoke to get to Bournemouth when I tried to buy tickets so eventually I just said give me a return to Basingstoke. A friend of mind did a conversion on an old Mainline model for me!

56019.jpg.49902aaa2b638ab55964b2cbf21c1d65.jpg

Thanks for the photo, that is taken at a really useful angle for the underframe and chassis painting detail! At first I was unsure on whether to add red boxes, earlier 1998 pics seem to show the axleboxes either too grimy or unpainted, and most available pics of the Virgin haulage are the classic narrow-angle ones with gricers flailing out the windows! :lol:

It would be rude to do an ‘019 and not have it rammed on the front of a Virgin rake, so I shall get tinkering with a little paintbrush!

Cheers,

James 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Thanks for the photo, that is taken at a really useful angle for the underframe and chassis painting detail! At first I was unsure on whether to add red boxes, earlier 1998 pics seem to show the axleboxes either too grimy or unpainted, and most available pics of the Virgin haulage are the classic narrow-angle ones with gricers flailing out the windows! :lol:

It would be rude to do an ‘019 and not have it rammed on the front of a Virgin rake, so I shall get tinkering with a little paintbrush!

Cheers,

James 

No probs, I managed to bail off and over the bridge before it ran round and back to Basingstoke. Not the best of shots but had to record the event. Most of my pictures are the standard 3/4 platform shots as I was more interested in bashing than photting!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, HillsideDepot said:

56019's trip to the coast certainly sticks in my mind as it thundered around the curve at Didcot.

560190002.jpg.051a4e802fdda8161bbd5dff59ae985a.jpg

I decided to stay on at Didcot for the return, my customary homebound fish & chips would have to wait that week. And I'm glad I did. The train wasn't booked via Reading on the way back as the shunter had finished by then, so it was Basingstoke to Oxford non-stop. But it did stop, for about 10 minutes, in the far distance at Moreton Cutting, before coming at us on the Down Relief, flat out, swaying over the connection and around the curve, that mighty Ruston pounding, turbos screaming, as only a 56 could, and still ahead of booked time!  844910187_560190001(2).jpg.d91331900c77a2c0b0eaaf774da6ac5a.jpg

Wow, stunning shots there, and of course the best location that one could ask for, thanks ever so much!

Cheers,

James

• Agree 1

Stunning work on these Grids James, really see that the 56's look like they're on their last legs with the weathering!

To think 56019 was on Virgin services....wow! Unfortunately, I was only a toddler around this time and compared to now, these were really glory days!

PS, I'm listening to Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days" as I type...

Jules

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to see 669, another Cornish  loco which is on my eventual to do list given that as well as the usual Cornish freight it was on the other end of the Cornish Gnome rail tour in 1998 along with 37403 in green (which is my justification for a model of my favourite 37.). I keep debating changing the numbers on my slightly less useful 37667, but can’t bring myself to losing another favourite…

the weathering looks superb

• Thanks 1

Great stuff !

I’ve done 669 - although that was really just a renumber from 411 , I don’t have your exact precision on the detail .

I’ve also got 174 , which stayed as 174 as I saw it on an engineers train in 98. Didn’t realise the moulding was as bad as 242 !

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the likes and kind words guys! 

On 23/12/2021 at 19:04, Phil Mc said:

Very nice James !!

Bang average, with absolutely no redeeming features……..lovely !

cheers,

Phil.

Cheers Phil! It's funny how as time has gone by that even the 'dull' ones have become pretty interesting!

I do like modelling the bang average ones as normally they are the ones that you do see when out 'spotting, and I can't wait to recreate those times on a bleak day when you'd head up the steps to Didcot's platform 4 & 5, excited to see what feast of stock awaited you in the adjacent stabling sidings, only to find one or two locos, plain vanilla livery with nothing notable about them, chances are you'd already crossed them off the spotting list - complete duds, but great fun now looking back at those days!

On 23/12/2021 at 19:10, The Fatadder said:

Good to see 669, another Cornish  loco which is on my eventual to do list given that as well as the usual Cornish freight it was on the other end of the Cornish Gnome rail tour in 1998 along with 37403 in green (which is my justification for a model of my favourite 37.). I keep debating changing the numbers on my slightly less useful 37667, but can’t bring myself to losing another favourite…

the weathering looks superb

Some great choices there Rich, 37667 is definitely a tasty one and 37403 is nice in its slightly more tatty form, some good character there! If it were me I wouldn't sacrifice any of your fleet but just buy more! Hopefully once the Accurascale model is out, there may well be a glut of Bachmann examples going on eBay or at shows again! I've been quite lucky as a number of my Loftus Road mates have trimmed their collections in recent times with big surpluses of 'Tractors' and the like but once the exhibitions return properly then there should be much more bargains to be had, eBay prices seem to have gone silly during the pandemic!

On 23/12/2021 at 21:10, rob D2 said:

Great stuff !

I’ve done 669 - although that was really just a renumber from 411 , I don’t have your exact precision on the detail .

I’ve also got 174 , which stayed as 174 as I saw it on an engineers train in 98. Didn’t realise the moulding was as bad as 242 !

Thanks very much Rob! The 37669 isn't too far from 37411, it's always those pesky nose side grilles and roof arrangements that generally need looking at, the Shawplan brass end grille parts are pretty good to work with and it's possible to fit those and not need a full repaint if you're careful in removing the old mouldings underneath!

Haha, sorry to break the bad news on the 37174 moulding! I had a few of them bought over the years in anticipation of some easy renumbering, until that sinking feeling set in having taken the loco out the box and noticed the side panel lines which would be impossible to remove without a repaint,  and very few 37s ever kept those panels late into their lives! The 37242 release is definitely a bit of a nightmare as well, same moulding and certainly my 'easy-renumber' Mainline blue 37 project went out the window there for the same reason with those silly hatches!!

On 24/12/2021 at 15:21, CazRail said:

Great pair of 37s! Love the EWS livery, and looking to make a 37670, in its faded condition after it's DB revival before DB paint.

Ooh I would love to see your go at the faded 37670! I remember seeing some pics in Rail Express and that loco was properly faded down to an almost unrecognisable state, that would be a beauty of a model to do!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Some great choices there Rich, 37667 is definitely a tasty one and 37403 is nice in its slightly more tatty form, some good character there! If it were me I wouldn't sacrifice any of your fleet but just buy more! Hopefully once the Accurascale model is out, there may well be a glut of Bachmann examples going on eBay or at shows again! I've been quite lucky as a number of my Loftus Road mates have trimmed their collections in recent times with big surpluses of 'Tractors' and the like but once the exhibitions return properly then there should be much more bargains to be had, eBay prices seem to have gone silly during the pandemic!

I do think about adding a couple more 37s, though I try to consider how many would fit in my planned layout’s fiddleyard (and I already exceed that number).  I was looking at more photos today, getting tempted by 37262 in all over tatty grey with a Transrail /0 And ten clay tigers….  37403 was always a bit of an indulgence,  but was always a favourite (and was a real challenge doing  the  failed logos). 

however what really tempted me (although way out of budget at the moment).  Is a photo on Flickr  of a HST on a Virgin XC Dundee to Penzance in 1998.  It included one powercar in tatty Intercity, 4 intercity coaches, a virgin first, a GNER TSO and a Virgin XC powercar on the rear.  Just wish the Hornby powercars were not so pricy as I’d love to get a second Virgin pair to model it

• Like 1

Nice work again James,

Although my modelling ends at the start of 1996, before the big EWS cull and 'shed' invasion I do enjoy seeing how you capture these still working locos, it's almost as if they're refusing to give up.

My favourites have to be the ones still carrying older liveries, who would have they'd be around for so long. If you're looking for an interesting, but odd (in my opinion) freightliner duff to do then how about 114 Freightliner Bulk in green.

I've got an old crappy 35mm shot of it I took at Newport once somewhere.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice James,  I think the all over EWS red actually looks rather smart.  But it’s the tatty Intercity Mainline that really appeals.  Other than the obvious Virgin/Intercity/GWT 47/8s, res (and the odd Fraggonset) 47/7 and RFD /0s, I haven’t found many interesting 47s to model In Cornwall in 98 (other than Atlas on Virgin XC duties). Having spent a lot of time on Flickr over the last few days searching out 1998 photos in the south west.

Speaking of GWT, are any of their 47s in your plans?   I’m assuming you will be having the sleeper and the GWT loco hauled passenger sets on Didcot?

• Thanks 1