James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the likes and comments as always guys! 

On 29/12/2021 at 00:15, Wayne 37901 said:

Nice work again James,

Although my modelling ends at the start of 1996, before the big EWS cull and 'shed' invasion I do enjoy seeing how you capture these still working locos, it's almost as if they're refusing to give up.

My favourites have to be the ones still carrying older liveries, who would have they'd be around for so long. If you're looking for an interesting, but odd (in my opinion) freightliner duff to do then how about 114 Freightliner Bulk in green.

I've got an old crappy 35mm shot of it I took at Newport once somewhere.

Cheers.

Thanks Wayne, I have to admit I do love modelling a loco that's still clinging on to life, just about! There's so many good ones to choose from in that 1998 time period as well, I've always loved the transition from old rot boxes to shiny new things that happened so often around then. Can't beat a good old BR livery as well it has to be said!

47114 sounds interesting, be great to see your pic! It's crossed the mind to model it over the years, I it was awkward the way the Freightliner logo sat over the two tone green and then the way the 'bulk' part of the nameplate was painted always interested me. 

On 29/12/2021 at 07:27, rob D2 said:

Super work again ! It’s raining quality locos at the moment - long may it continue !

I did wonder if 627 was EWS maroon under the stickers or some Mars based bauxite , I think you’ve answered that question ;)

Cheers Rob! Haha, I love the idea of Mars Bauxite as an official shade! I've no idea myself but after much similar deliberation looking at numerous pics I concluded that it was most probably EWS red, what with it bearing the company logo and the shade being so similar to the other EWS locos around it...it was one of those moments, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, then...

On 29/12/2021 at 11:22, The Fatadder said:

Very nice James,  I think the all over EWS red actually looks rather smart.  But it’s the tatty Intercity Mainline that really appeals.  Other than the obvious Virgin/Intercity/GWT 47/8s, res (and the odd Fraggonset) 47/7 and RFD /0s, I haven’t found many interesting 47s to model In Cornwall in 98 (other than Atlas on Virgin XC duties). Having spent a lot of time on Flickr over the last few days searching out 1998 photos in the south west.

Speaking of GWT, are any of their 47s in your plans?   I’m assuming you will be having the sleeper and the GWT loco hauled passenger sets on Didcot?

Haha thanks Rich, know what you mean about the tatty IC Mainline really appealing, the loco had been on the 'hit list' for some years now, '528 has a bit more character than a clean, newly-outshopped loco it has to be said! It is quite a conundrum modelling south western 47s there, that is the challenge with that part of the country, you get all the fun of the china clay trains and suchlike, but being out on a limb means you don't get the random passing traffic like you might get in a more central location!

I do have more GWT 47s in the grand plans for sure! I seem to think that some of the GW sleepers and loco-hauled's/Motorail went via a different route to Didcot, certainly when I'd go spotting at Reading you'd see more of the traffic, but from time to time they did put in an appearance at Didcot and so will appear!

So far I've previously only modelled 47846 Thor in original GWT livery, I have a hankering for a plain green un-striped 'dull' new Fag Packet branded one...I'm drawn to 47811 as the flush ends look quite nice to model, and with it not being a 'namer' then the slab green sides show up quite nicely!

36620573063_c47ed61376_k.jpg47846 on Loftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've also got the classic 'Purple Ronnie' 57601 I weathered up some years back for the later period, I quite like the idea of double-heading it with 47825 to see who might notice :lol:

19 hours ago, 37403 said:

These 47s are excellent, well done for producing them in model form. That 1997 timeframe which you model offers the chance to produce so many rag bag locos clinging onto life.

Look forward to your next updates as always

Cheers, thank you very much! I mostly model 1998-2000ish but with slightly excursions either side, it is great fun! There are many more rag bags coming, I can promise!

Cheers,

James

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, James Makin said:

So far I've previously only modelled 47846 Thor in original GWT livery, I have a hankering for a plain green un-striped 'dull' new Fag Packet branded one...I'm drawn to 47811 as the flush ends look quite nice to model, and with it not being a 'namer' then the slab green sides show up quite nicely!

36620573063_c47ed61376_k.jpg47846 on Loftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've also got the classic 'Purple Ronnie' 57601 I weathered up some years back for the later period, I quite like the idea of double-heading it with 47825 to see who might notice :lol:

I like that idea with 57601, I still have mine somewhere (though it is currently sitting on incorrect underframe bits from a 57/3 as I needed its tanks for another project...)  If it wasnt for the steam layout I think I would have likely ended up with all of the GWT 47s by now...  As it is I have 813 SS Great Britain on a Vi Trains model and 830 with single flush end on a Heljan (which now that I have seen an approach to narrowing the Heljan chassis will probably be replaced with a Vi Trains or Bachmann body soon...)

The loco hauled daytime service is a little late for me, but the sleeper is still on the to do pile awaiting mk2s painting to go with the GWT livery sleepers...  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice once again James, the 60 really did look very good in triple grey (of any verity).  It’s another of the locos which is still on my to buy list (so the dodgy painted 60090

is now on my eBay list in the hope it’s cheaper than the good ones.)  I was tempted by 60064 in load haul branded grey, seeing as it was one of the few that I photographed at Didcot in 97 or 98, though finding one in the south west would be better.   After looking at yours I think my 60s are in need of a little more attention…

• Thanks 1

Those are fantastic !

I have a minor panic attack at the first photo in all these sequences , when I see the paint off and rubbed down but I know you’ll pull it back every time !

RE 60s in the southwest for fatadder, it’s a shame the taillamp photo site seems to have disappeared as that had shots of almost every 60 going through Plymouth on their way to SBZ on the cliff vale  train -I’d wager one of the grey loadhaul branded ones was there if not all.

Edited by rob D2
  • Thanks 1

Hiya James,

Nice work again on the 60s, I personally prefer a 60 to have sectors but then I would wouldn't I.

Here's my photo of 47114. I've had to take a photo of it with my phone as I can't access the scanner at the moment due to the Christmas tree being in the way.

I don't have a date for the photo as I didn't keep notes then, it's also shot into a low early evening sun so of course it won't win any prizes. It's also the only photo I have of 'Freightliner Bulk' so I'll still treasure it. One thing I do like in modelling terms is the visible remains of its former black painted headcode box, the cut away buffer beams and eleptical 'class 60' buffers....

Go on, you know you want to. :locomotive:

IMG_20220103_201828.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Thanks 1

And talking of plain Jane grey 60s I've just come across this taken on the same evening, it looks like it could 60046 'William Wilberforce' heading East with a steel train. Again it's been shot into the sun so pretty crap really, but I was younger then and didn't know a great deal I just pointed the camera and shot.

IMG_20220103_203356.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/01/2022 at 05:24, rob D2 said:

RE 60s in the southwest for fatadder, it’s a shame the taillamp photo site seems to have disappeared as that had shots of almost every 60 going through Plymouth on their way to SBZ on the cliff vale  train -I’d wager one of the grey loadhaul branded ones was there if not all.

I saw this on Flickr a while back (not my photo) - @The Fatadder 

1255-036

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Ultimate Model Railways said:

I saw this on Flickr a while back (not my photo) - @The Fatadder 

Was there any detail as to the loco? 

edit clicked on the photo. caption says 60064 at Plymouth May 99

The one I am tempted by is 064, more on topic for James here it is at Didcot in 1998 

43130061675_f0d257f706_b.jpg

One of only a handful of my own photos from 1998 (which I am guessing I have shared before seeing as the sole fave on Flickr comes from Mr Makin 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On 03/01/2022 at 20:27, Wayne 37901 said:

Hiya James,

Nice work again on the 60s, I personally prefer a 60 to have sectors but then I would wouldn't I.

Here's my photo of 47114. I've had to take a photo of it with my phone as I can't access the scanner at the moment due to the Christmas tree being in the way.

I don't have a date for the photo as I didn't keep notes then, it's also shot into a low early evening sun so of course it won't win any prizes. It's also the only photo I have of 'Freightliner Bulk' so I'll still treasure it. One thing I do like in modelling terms is the visible remains of its former black painted headcode box, the cut away buffer beams and eleptical 'class 60' buffers....

Go on, you know you want to. :locomotive:

IMG_20220103_201828.jpg

Some great nostalgia shots there Wayne, love it! 47114 definitely looks good in green, I've seen a good few models of it before but it would be great to have in the collection one day! 

Similarly your plain grey 60046 shot is a classic condition I remember being most common, naturally the 60s looked best in their original sector colours with full plates and ideally arrows & plaques, but by the time I got round to properly seeing them the best ones had already been unbranded and many had plates nicked from at least one side too!  Still, on the plus side, the plain grey looked much better than those big yellow EWS stickers I always thought!

19 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Was there any detail as to the loco? 

edit clicked on the photo. caption says 60064 at Plymouth May 99

The one I am tempted by is 064, more on topic for James here it is at Didcot in 1998 

43130061675_f0d257f706_b.jpg

One of only a handful of my own photos from 1998 (which I am guessing I have shared before seeing as the sole fave on Flickr comes from Mr Makin 

60064 was a nice one, it will be good to see that on your layout Rich, I'm sure you can justify it easily enough now!

19 hours ago, rob D2 said:

can't see any name plates on the plymouth one ( post 98 flashes ) , did it keep them ?

did Hornby screw the greys on that one ?

60064 seemed to have plates on one side only for a good while, I remember from reading the odd magazine reports at the time and doing subsequent Flickr research that really quite a lot of 60s had their plates stolen in the late 90s! Seemingly it was mostly the mountain-named ones that had one of theirs taken, interestingly, maybe the people doing it weren't so keen on the ones named after individuals!

I recall reading about a nameplate display in the early 2000s that had a number of nameplates confiscated by the BTP before opening to the public due to them being on the EWS stolen list..!

That reminds me of seeing Freightliner's 66506 'Crewe Regeneration' some years back, at one stage it looks like someone had taken a crowbar to the nameplate but the bolt attachments clearly proved too strong and a whole corner of the nameplate has broken off! The crowbar damage could clearly be seen on the ribbed bodyside behind!

Z66506.PNG.0585081db07fee18bb6b95d1f0a54e80.PNG

Cheers,

James

• Like 5

Wow, great stuff again !

Clearly lockdown was a lot more productive for you than me, as I spent most of it staring into space wondering where my career just went !

You get some great paint finishes - I’d be interested to learn what air brush you use ?

All these locos would make a great bookazine like the bendall series on wagons ( just saying !)

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Wow, great stuff again !

Clearly lockdown was a lot more productive for you than me, as I spent most of it staring into space wondering where my career just went !

You get some great paint finishes - I’d be interested to learn what air brush you use ?

All these locos would make a great bookazine like the bendall series on wagons ( just saying !)

Aw cheers Rob, hope things are getting better for you now!

It certainly was a crazy year 2021, I didn't imagine I'd be moving on from BA after 9 years either but there was an offer I couldn't refuse! It did mean going back into an office again after getting used to 9 months of homeworking in 2020 (though fortunately Chichester is closer than Heathrow!) and a view of trains from the window, an unexpected benefit!

74202B4D-4CA4-4D19-9864-298102DD8E3C.jpeg.f2860b83c9a618777ee8140d6d2de290.jpeg

It is surprising the things you see from your desk! 

B1ABC098-B865-48F1-8921-E12311B3CFD3.jpeg.362ee1a060e33adcf8ffb1d97454ee79.jpeg

The bonus is there's a Mendip stone working each Tuesday (and sometimes Thursday) morning to see, normally headed up by a Freightliner 66 or 59, which is always a good reason to get out of bed and into the office for!

Ironically I have found with the modelling that I tend to get more done in short bursts, things have been busier in the social life (and not office 'drinks meetings'..!) which has meant less overall time for modelling but short productive bursts which are better than a traditional long afternoon modelling where I'd normally tend to get distracted and end up on RMWeb rather than actually modelling :lol:

For the airbrush, I'm using a Badger 175 Crescendo double-action jobbie, it's only my second airbrush and getting on for 20 years old next year but still functions as it should! I have thought about getting a second airbrush to help with some of the weathering projects with different colours involved, but yet to take the plunge!

It does take a lot of effort in mixing paint and getting the consistency just right as well, the Phoenix paints do help, they seem to spray very nicely and smoothly with few hiccups!

The book idea always makes me laugh and think of Alan Partridge but I guess there is a lot of content here looking back at the 50+ pages on RMWeb, I do keep thinking about backing some of it up somewhere just in case anything happens to the forum as well, touch wood!

Cheers,

James

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2