James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, that's really nice! 

Each time I tackle a wagon I never quite know how it's going to turn out but I think I'm starting to get the hang of these rugged old OBA's! 

James, the weathering on those wagons is amongst the very best I have ever seen. Truly inspirational stuff.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, must say I keep seeing your Waverley pics on the Realism thread and thinking the same for yours, 'wow'! Would also love to see a classy GNER HST in your Waverley station, just to see how it'd fit in haha!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, that's really nice! 

Each time I tackle a wagon I never quite know how it's going to turn out but I think I'm starting to get the hang of these rugged old OBA's! 

Thanks Dave, must say I keep seeing your Waverley pics on the Realism thread and thinking the same for yours, 'wow'! Would also love to see a classy GNER HST in your Waverley station, just to see how it'd fit in haha!

Cheers James. I actually have a GNER HST set sitting in its boxes. I always thought the GNER livery looked very smart, especially when clean. It's on the list!

Dave

• Like 1

Nice work on the Power Cars James.

Just when you thought you had seen it all, along comes two OBAs! I think it is time to just stop now James, enough is enough, how can we be expected to carry on modelling after seeing your latest creations?!!!

Superb, absolutely superb. You will be hard pressed to find better modelling than this!
Well done Sir

Two more down! I've still got three part-finished OBA's sitting on the workbench before it's back on with other bits - some really exciting wagon projects in the planning stages over the coming year.   Now for a spot of Sunday night Top Gear!

Really great modelling sir! Can I pop all my locos and wagons in the post to you?! :jester:

Do plz tell what the exciting projects are....if they're anything like the 'electrostars' they'll be brilliant.

Keep it up! ;)

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

Quite a striking livery the fag packet especially on a 47 https://flic.kr/p/8tfLJf

Thanks James, I think all forms of the GWT/FGW liveries are pretty striking, I've got one of those gold-stripe variants on the Heljan '47', must get round to digging it out sometime! Always thought it would have been interesting for FGW to apply the jazzy white stripes to the 47 as well as the single gold stripe!

Lovely models James. Especially liked the Electrostars you did earlier in the thread. Wish I could justify a 375/377, but the area I'm looking at requires a 376, which as you know is a much harder prospect and rather different.

For now I'll concentrate on a 465 and 4EPB, but a 376 would be good to bring the ideas into the modern era rather than the current plans for early 90s when the Networkers were just coming in.

• RMweb Premium

Was reading on a photo they converted the 47s into 57s and then into Thunderbird's for Virgin. You doing the mk2s https://flic.kr/p/kCTD7t

Haha I've got too many FGW coaches from the time of my first layout! I've put together a standard daytime loco-hauled set and now putting together a full 1999/2000 Sleeper/Motorail set as well,  it's a slow burner project but some of these ran on Loftus Road for the first time at Stafford the other week, was good to give 57601 and 47846 something to haul!  

The 57 conversion project is a sore point, so many great 47s from my spotting days got swallowed up there, mostly the Virgin ILRA pool but the odd FGW example like 47846 and some beautifully weathered Freightliner examples got taken down as well! The saddest ones were old favourites 47844 and 47849, stripped to become 57s but rejected and then just cut up, bad times haha!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Drawing this year-long project to a close, here are my remaining two OBA's for the Loftus Road ballast train -

28630480030_aaa8e53375_b.jpgOBA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Last to join the fleet are OBAs 110370 faded 'Dutch' and 110050 in 'Dutch'/olive green patch livery.

28915623175_511c637b92_b.jpgOBA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Based again on my favourite wagons from Flickr, 110370 is a fairly standard 'Dutch' OBA with a few replaced planks and faded stencil TOPS panel.  There are also planks in bright yellow to contrast against the faded yellow remainder.

28915624785_3265b6bca6_b.jpgOBA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Starting with a very light grey base, the yellows were first built up in varying strengths, followed by weathering washes of Humbrols 62 and 186 amongst others. Dark greys were used to replicate some of the discolouration of the damaged wooden planking where it's managed to break and pick up staining compared to the painted sides of the other planking. Exposed metalwork has rusted and some photos show this to have caused water streaking down the sides.

28915626555_636f8a0ffd_b.jpgOBA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28810364152_25e7389613_b.jpgOBA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

As with the other OBAs before, the faded data panels were made up in CorelDraw using the Gunplay stencil font, with compression to get the correct letter depth and spacing.

28915629525_5caff0a983_b.jpgOBA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Second, and last up, is the strangely-coloured 110050. This was challenging as unlike the others so far, it required a handpainted TOPS panel!

28630490580_6f7ef7fa0b_b.jpgOBA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Presumably once in full BR 'Dutch' colours, there have been so many replaced planks that it bares little resemblance beyond the top yellow sections. Olive green planks adorn the left parts of the wagon, with newer EWS red replacement woodwork to the righter-most end.

28884007286_e204cbb007_b.jpgOBA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I didn't enjoy handpainting the TOPS panel! The real thing does look as scruffy as this, fortunately - type the number into the Flickr app! 

28300003683_cd54dafa6f_b.jpgOBA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Similar weathering techniques were used as on the other OBA 110370 above; building up a variety of different tones through washes and drybrushing. Colin Craig brake discs finish of the model.

I forgot to take any workbench progress shots but can confirm that Sophie Ellis-Bextor's 2007 Trip The Light Fantastic is the recommended album when undertaking weathering for this type of livery.

28915633815_d614527563_b.jpgOBA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Anyway, here we go! A scroll back through these pages will reveal an Easter 2014 kick-off for the great OBA project and a year later, there are now fifteen horrendous wagons running behind the vulnerable 47004 on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road

28810376472_9278d7dfba_b.jpgOBA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Of course it's never really the end - I'm tempted to do a few more 'caged' OBAs and I've recently bought a few OCAs for future use, but from the original prototype batch I tracked down on Flickr a year ago, they are all here in miniature form, and in service. 

Where to go next? In terms of the engineering fleet, I've always had a large stash of MHA, MTA, MFA wagons awaiting detailing, and been buying Parkside kits for some of the ODA (former 'Pipe') wagons in recent times. Then there's the FTG Models 'SPA' wagon which has a few neat ZCA ballast conversions for a rainy day too.

Some Loftus Road scenic building work is currently underway but some brightly-coloured period freight stock is flying towards the workbench very soon sporting one of the best liveries ever!

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

James, they are stunning.

I have a couple of OBA's I need to try and tackle , I have had a go at these before, but they didn't work out like these haha !

Perhaps it is time to try and re-visit them. I love the variety you have achieved here, its unreal !

Marcus  

Go for it Marcus!

My best advice is to find a photo of a prototype with a livery that's not on the Bachmann OBA and model that, as it's far easier to get the right look if you're mixing the colours from scratch to match the photo than trying to alter a factory shade to something more realistic! Once you get the base colours sorted then it's just a case of smearing some weathering colours around on top and it should fall into place!! 

Best thing about these were that the wagons were cheap so didn't matter if anything went majorly wrong and by only doing two at a time you can learn from the previous project and make the next ones better - I'm much happier with the later wagons than those from early last year!

Edited by James Makin

Drawing this year-long project to a close, here are my remaining two OBA's for the Loftus Road ballast train -

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA65.jpg

Last to join the fleet are OBAs 110370 faded 'Dutch' and 110050 in 'Dutch'/olive green patch livery.

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA60.jpg

Based again on my favourite wagons from Flickr, 110370 is a fairly standard 'Dutch' OBA with a few replaced planks and faded stencil TOPS panel.  There are also planks in bright yellow to contrast against the faded yellow remainder.

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA61.jpg

Starting with a very light grey base, the yellows were first built up in varying strengths, followed by weathering washes of Humbrols 62 and 186 amongst others. Dark greys were used to replicate some of the discolouration of the damaged wooden planking where it's managed to break and pick up staining compared to the painted sides of the other planking. Exposed metalwork has rusted and some photos show this to have caused water streaking down the sides.

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA62.jpg

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA64.jpg

As with the other OBAs before, the faded data panels were made up in CorelDraw using the Gunplay stencil font, with compression to get the correct letter depth and spacing.

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA63.jpg

Second, and last up, is the strangely-coloured 110050. This was challenging as unlike the others so far, it required a handpainted TOPS panel!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA66.jpg

Presumably once in full BR 'Dutch' colours, there have been so many replaced planks that it bares little resemblance beyond the top yellow sections. Olive green planks adorn the left parts of the wagon, with newer EWS red replacement woodwork to the righter-most end.

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA70.jpg

I didn't enjoy handpainting the TOPS panel! The real thing does look as scruffy as this, fortunately - type the number into the Flickr app! 

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA69.jpg

Similar weathering techniques were used as on the other OBA 110370 above; building up a variety of different tones through washes and drybrushing. Colin Craig brake discs finish of the model.

I forgot to take any workbench progress shots but can confirm that Sophie Ellis-Bextor's 2007 Trip The Light Fantastic is the recommended album when undertaking weathering for this type of livery.

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA67.jpg

Anyway, here we go! A scroll back through these pages will reveal an Easter 2014 kick-off for the great OBA project and a year later, there are now fifteen horrendous wagons running behind the vulnerable 47004 on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaOCA71.jpg

Of course it's never really the end - I'm tempted to do a few more 'caged' OBAs and I've recently bought a few OCAs for future use, but from the original prototype batch I tracked down on Flickr a year ago, they are all here in miniature form, and in service. 

Where to go next? In terms of the engineering fleet, I've always had a large stash of MHA, MTA, MFA wagons awaiting detailing, and been buying Parkside kits for some of the ODA (former 'Pipe') wagons in recent times. Then there's the FTG Models 'SPA' wagon which has a few neat ZCA ballast conversions for a rainy day too.

Some Loftus Road scenic building work is currently underway but some brightly-coloured period freight stock is flying towards the workbench very soon sporting one of the best liveries ever!

Cheers,

James

superb! :)

Hi James,

Those OBA's are fantastic. Very inspirational modelling. I was quite happy with the way my repaints were coming along working from photos until I've seen these. The ODA's are nice wagons to do from Parkside kits and would be nice to add into your train.

The garage is also a stunning bit of modelling.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1