James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium

James,

I really like your Ford wagon. A very clever way of doing it.

This train was very noticable down this way.

Cheers.

Thanks Paul! Who knows, maybe it could make a cheeky guest appearance on TWY at a future Lydd Rail haha!

• Like 1

Thanks Paul! Who knows, maybe it could make a cheeky guest appearance on TWY at a future Lydd Rail haha!

James,

Not sure when TWY will return to Lydd Rail, but any show I do you would be welcome to run this train.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Take the money or open the box?

28839887161_a03c4bba9e_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This would no doubt be the question going through Deal-or-No-Deal contestants and modellers head's alike. About 15 years ago Scottish retail chain Harburn Hobbies commissioned these Ltd Edition "Lovat Spring" water VGA twin-packs from Bachmann, and as a kid I'd bought a set and pugged them away. Nowadays, they are retailing for a whopping £80 on eBay. 

In those intervening years, the Lovat Spring water company has gone the same way as the infamous Trotter's Peckham Spring, and today the former water VGAs can be found in a forlorn state hauling anything - including explosives. Now coded as 'VKA', I ended up photographing the real 210527 on MOD traffic in Didcot Yard, and not having Noel Edmonds thrusting a Banker's telephone in my face, I'd decided to open the dusty box and get weathering!

28630507200_d75c943edf_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Armed with a monster-size Twix and Lana Del Rey, I attacked one half of the VGA twinpack. The first task was to tone down the yellow ends, so these were painted a very pale yellow. Shades of brown were washed down the silver sides and wiped off, leaving dirt gathering in the recesses. Pretty much all VGA-type wagons these days bear scars of former work on explosive traffic with Hazchem diamond warnings all over the sides, in varying colours. 

It was at this point unfortunately I had to jet off on a business trip to Miami (such a hard life)...

28915674875_5d2ca46dc2_b.jpgColony Hotel Miami by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Following in the tradition of Miami, I felt compelled to dust white powder all over the roof of my VKA -

28300054023_75d2b12b58_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

UK Border Force need not worry however, this being merely talcum powder! I was looking for a little more texture on the roof and once rubbed into wet paint, the talc does a great job at providing a little surface relief.

28297876804_e984723ac3_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28839900381_177ef5276e_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The underframe was painted in a mixture of Humbrol browns, blacks and greys, all mottled on and blended, with a brake-dusty bias around the right areas. Colin Craig's superb value brake discs really bring the wheels to life.

28297880894_5ac6fe840c_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

New TOPS panels were whipped up in CorelDraw to show the recoding from VGA to VKA, and added to the sides.

28915683625_18e1feecb2_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And now into service! This will run behind my EWS 47785 Fiona Castle on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road, increasing the length of my MOD van train, I just need a few Wild Boar Models PFA wagons now!

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Photo i saw on the Colas thread someone was posting of a FGW loco with Freightliner names on it if i can dig up the post ill post it here

Edit here it is http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70783-jims-down-by-the-tracks-with-colas-thread/?p=1839824class 47

Thanks James, unfortunately my modelling stops around 2002 but yeah there were several of the 47/8s that went over to Freightliner after the glory days on passenger service, the Virgin ones were a striking sight with the Green Team branding on as well!

• RMweb Premium

Looking for a few more wagons for the MOD train, I bought a couple of old Bachmann VGA's off fellow Worthing MRC gangmember Pete Hollman. Now passed through my weathering & detailing works, these are joining the fleet as VGA 210593 and VKA 210551 - both based on photographs of the real thing at Didcot.

28839905921_ac4a84f6a9_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

These Bachmann models are from the original production run from the heady '90s - back when a new modern-image wagon seemed a bold move, standing out from the near-domination of steam era produce, and finally giving D&E modellers a decent representation of a van to run behind their token diesel-outline plastic toys from the Hornby range. 

Thankfully the market has changed dramatically since then and we're spoilt now with a deluge of current releases - but the VGA still holds its own, and a great canvas for some fun weathering!

28297887024_b9b1c9e816_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Most VGA wagons are still in their original silver colour scheme, so the attractive maroon shades of EWS were kept firmly on the shelf - tatty aluminium with scarring being the order of the day! When making the pick, 210593 stood out, with its grey patchwork, and showstopper 210551 - brown and silver, with a door liberated from another wagon entirely!

The basic silver wagons were toned down with coats of browns, painted on and wiped off - about three different shades are applied over the course of a few days to vary the tones, with each 'wipe' revealing, hiding or blending in to the other layer.

Oddball 210551 had its door combination done differently - base coats of dark brown, followed by lashings of reds and browns!  

28630521720_e85e856d9e_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

As with the previous 'Lovatt Spring' VGA, a tiny bit of roof texture was added with talcum powder mixed into the paint. Homemade graphics were drawn up for each wagon, I've expressed my hatred before of lining up transfer lettering and numbersets to get the TOPS panels I'm looking for! 

28915693495_1858c4d0ca_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Lots of the VGA fleet has been used on MOD work at some point, and these two wagons were no exception, with former Hazchem explosive diamonds all over the sides, browns, greys and whites were used to create these. 

28884059696_b0b4fd12c6_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The real 210593 also has a smiley face just above the TOPS panel!

28300072923_830a25113f_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Moving on to the multi-colour VKA 210551 - this was particularly fun to work on - the left hand side bears a very dark dirty brown appearance, not dissimilar to many of the larger 'Cargowaggon' sets. The right hand side has a door from a completely different wagon - you can see where the TOPS panel used to be, along with the white sign in the centre of the wagon!

28839918891_a792881722_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Building up layers of browns, reds, browns and greys, the left hand side was scrawled on the the Hazchem scars, a big number '3' and a cheeky Carlisle Currock fox!

28839921021_648b8e2131_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And if the prototype's left hand door wasn't interesting enough - the right hand replacement door is just a basic silver, but has a clean patch on. Lighter weathering using Humbrol Greys 1 and 32 were built up, and then wiped away with thinners on a cotton bud - just as on the real thing. The rendition of the former TOPS panel was added, along with the tiny graffiti tag that's landed on the bodyside. 

28884067266_051cf9c002_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

That cunning Fox has come back!

28839925741_a386887b8b_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Ends were weathered with spots of brown - 62 and 186 from Humbrol, paint on and wipe off, plus a few rusty streaks on bodyside as per the prototype. Data panels are nabbed from the Fox Transfers EWS MEA sheet of many years back.

28839928031_0ef207758e_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The varied tones on the left hand door come out in the natural light! I would normally add Colin Craig etched brake discs, but these Bachmann wagons are so old, they had the original wheels with brake discs already moulded in the metal! I just painted these up, they still look reasonably good vs the stainless ones!

28839929431_c44af89c82_b.jpgVGA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And there we go, two more for the MOD train! I've also spotted a gorgeous photo of an OCA with a military vehicle lashed down inside...there's so much more in the 'to do' queue, but this cameo wagon has jumped up a few places!

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Excellent stuff.

Mine seem way too clean now!

Looking for a few more wagons for the MOD train, I bought a couple of old Bachmann VGA's off fellow Worthing MRC gangmember Pete Hollman. Now passed through my weathering & detailing works, these are joining the fleet as VGA 210593 and VKA 210551 - both based on photographs of the real thing at Didcot.

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA14.jpg

These Bachmann models are from the original production run from the heady '90s - back when a new modern-image wagon seemed a bold move, standing out from the near-domination of steam era produce, and finally giving D&E modellers a decent representation of a van to run behind their token diesel-outline plastic toys from the Hornby range. 

Thankfully the market has changed dramatically since then and we're spoilt now with a deluge of current releases - but the VGA still holds its own, and a great canvas for some fun weathering!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA09.jpg

Most VGA wagons are still in their original silver colour scheme, so the attractive maroon shades of EWS were kept firmly on the shelf - tatty aluminium with scarring being the order of the day! When making the pick, 210593 stood out, with its grey patchwork, and showstopper 210551 - brown and silver, with a door liberated from another wagon entirely!

The basic silver wagons were toned down with coats of browns, painted on and wiped off - about three different shades are applied over the course of a few days to vary the tones, with each 'wipe' revealing, hiding or blending in to the other layer.

Oddball 210551 had its door combination done differently - base coats of dark brown, followed by lashings of reds and browns!  

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA10.jpg

As with the previous 'Lovatt Spring' VGA, a tiny bit of roof texture was added with talcum powder mixed into the paint. Homemade graphics were drawn up for each wagon, I've expressed my hatred before of lining up transfer lettering and numbersets to get the TOPS panels I'm looking for! 

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA24.jpg

Lots of the VGA fleet has been used on MOD work at some point, and these two wagons were no exception, with former Hazchem explosive diamonds all over the sides, browns, greys and whites were used to create these. 

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA13.jpg

The real 210593 also has a smiley face just above the TOPS panel!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA12.jpg

Moving on to the multi-colour VKA 210551 - this was particularly fun to work on - the left hand side bears a very dark dirty brown appearance, not dissimilar to many of the larger 'Cargowaggon' sets. The right hand side has a door from a completely different wagon - you can see where the TOPS panel used to be, along with the white sign in the centre of the wagon!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA15.jpg

Building up layers of browns, reds, browns and greys, the left hand side was scrawled on the the Hazchem scars, a big number '3' and a cheeky Carlisle Currock fox!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA16.jpg

And if the prototype's left hand door wasn't interesting enough - the right hand replacement door is just a basic silver, but has a clean patch on. Lighter weathering using Humbrol Greys 1 and 32 were built up, and then wiped away with thinners on a cotton bud - just as on the real thing. The rendition of the former TOPS panel was added, along with the tiny graffiti tag that's landed on the bodyside. 

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA17.jpg

That cunning Fox has come back!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA20.jpg

Ends were weathered with spots of brown - 62 and 186 from Humbrol, paint on and wipe off, plus a few rusty streaks on bodyside as per the prototype. Data panels are nabbed from the Fox Transfers EWS MEA sheet of many years back.

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA22.jpg

The varied tones on the left hand door come out in the natural light! I would normally add Colin Craig etched brake discs, but these Bachmann wagons are so old, they had the original wheels with brake discs already moulded in the metal! I just painted these up, they still look reasonably good vs the stainless ones!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaVGA19.jpg

And there we go, two more for the MOD train! I've also spotted a gorgeous photo of an OCA with a military vehicle lashed down inside...there's so much more in the 'to do' queue, but this cameo wagon has jumped up a few places!

Cheers,

James

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James, just catching up on your workbench thread and this time you really have surpassed yourself, the Ford train is a work of art. Having seen this train many times passing through Stratford and also in the South of France, it really is top modelling. Love it!