James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

long time admirer of Wells Green, particularly as I'm a 'Crewie' myself (but don't tell anyone!!!)! I'm in the planning stages of a small depot layout, based around FM Rail and wish to recreate the blue pullman livery - but in my case I want to model 47709 Dionysos. I just wanted to ask you if you could remember what paint you used for the pullman blue please?

Also, are the any plans to replace Wells Green, now it's been retired?

Keep the updates and pictures coming.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for the kind words, best of luck with the FM Rail layout, sounds a bit different to the norm!

I would use that as an excuse to model some great locos - the Wessex Trains pink '31' and 47355 in the revised Fragonset livery spring to mind!

For my 47712 I opted for the Precision Paints Nanking Blue (of original 50s Blue Pullman fame), assuming that the chaps who painted the 47s used the same shade as the original Blue Pullmans which they were trying to recreate!   

Wells Green's enjoying an easier life at the moment but I have accepted another invite for Poole in November 2014, meanwhile Worthing MRC's Loftus Road will be out more over the next few years to scratch my exhibiting itch but one day I hope to get out there with a new project!

There's still much indecision about my next layout, I've already built some baseboards and have several key locations I am determined to model, but just can't decide which will be next! Before building Wells Green I'd been a long time Western Region modeller so may be considering returning to my routes in some form or another ;)

Wells Green's enjoying an easier life at the moment but I have accepted another invite for Poole in November 2014, meanwhile Worthing MRC's Loftus Road will be out more over the next few years to scratch my exhibiting itch but one day I hope to get out there with a new project!

Cam you except an invite for Stafford with your wells green? Lol

Hi Chris

Thanks for the kind words, best of luck with the FM Rail layout, sounds a bit different to the norm!

I would use that as an excuse to model some great locos - the Wessex Trains pink '31' and 47355 in the revised Fragonset livery spring to mind!

For my 47712 I opted for the Precision Paints Nanking Blue (of original 50s Blue Pullman fame), assuming that the chaps who painted the 47s used the same shade as the original Blue Pullmans which they were trying to recreate!   

There's still much indecision about my next layout, I've already built some baseboards and have several key locations I am determined to model, but just can't decide which will be next! Before building Wells Green I'd been a long time Western Region modeller so may be considering returning to my routes in some form or another  ;)

Thanks for your response, James. Looking forward to the next layout, yet glad to see that Wells Green is still out there!

• Like 1

Hi James,

A while back i bought the electrostar cabs from you and progress is slow but coming along together nicely. I have decided to model a Electrostar 375/3xx in Southeastern Livery to match my layout requirements. Following your second electrostar conversion has spurred me on to finish my 3-car electrostar.

I have chopped and reassembled to the correct length, re-motored and added the cabs and pantograph aswell. So i am at the stage of applying the livery. Currently, on a trip to take some photos of a three-car down in Kent at Dover. What i want to ask is how would you reccomend I apply Southeastern decals, numbers and first class lettering etc.?

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

A while back i bought the electrostar cabs from you and progress is slow but coming along together nicely. I have decided to model a Electrostar 375/3xx in Southeastern Livery to match my layout requirements. Following your second electrostar conversion has spurred me on to finish my 3-car electrostar.

I have chopped and reassembled to the correct length, re-motored and added the cabs and pantograph aswell. So i am at the stage of applying the livery. Currently, on a trip to take some photos of a three-car down in Kent at Dover. What i want to ask is how would you reccomend I apply Southeastern decals, numbers and first class lettering etc.?

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt!

Good to hear from you hope the project is going well!

Southeastern livery sounds fab - quite simple and stylish. I think that'd be fairly straightforward to do (none of those awful circles you get on Southern ones!) with a white base livery and then the rest in transfers.

I'm guessing that there have never been Southeastern transfers made so I'd have a stab at DIY transfers using your own images (steal these from the company website if the logo is still current or find side-on photos) and then pop these into something like Powerpoint, Paint or Photoshop and have a play with the sizes. There's probably some fancy new app that lets you do all this on an iPhone now haha!

For the transfer paper itself, you can't go wrong with Crafty Computer Paper (google) and then if you can print using a laser printer (less hassle than inkjet)...if you don't have one then most offices do...ahem! You can then seal the images with spray varnish and then treat like normal waterslide decals.

For your particular livery I'd try using clear-backed paper as the livery is so light it'd be perfect. For any colour darker than white I'd recommend using the white-backed papers and printing the body colour onto the background of the transfer (as am doing with the First Capital Connect livery).

White enamel paint is prone to yellowing so I'd probably advise dabbling in acrylics for this one, try spraying a matt white and then spraying some gloss acrylic varnish to get the ultra glossy surface for the transfers, followed by the matt acrylic varnish.

Hope this is useful mate! Let me know if you get any problems and feel free to share your results, exciting stuff!! :)

Extremely useful reply James!

Thanks so much for taking your time to compose such a detailed response. :D

I have sourced the logo from where you suggested and other number/lettering information from my 'find the 3-car' trip and also the font has been dowloaded into word for the first class writing used on Southeastern trains.

I'll keep you posted on the progress and any issues as they occur.

Thanks once again for the superb cabs which look amazing in situ, even without the livery applied.

Cheers :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've found a couple of Wells Green archive pics which I don't think I've shared much before -

28805887815_cac4485c25_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

60028 John Flamsteed on the diesel road with 66951 making a cheeky peek from the shed! 

I really like 60028 as it's just so boring - it's always the dull grey locos I used to see when I actually went to spend time at Didcot or wherever so seemed fitting to model the monotony in 4mm!

Below can be seen 90022 Freightconnection in one of the reception roads. This Hornby loco was such a poor runner that it became the first loco I butchered to put in Heljan Hymek running gear!

28728693021_c498ab1e19_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The layout's been off the exhibition scene for a while but I've recently accepted a new one, to Poole in November 2014 and maybe another big one in 2015! I'm fairly excited as it gives me an excuse to model some early-2000s period WCML stock again...perhaps a choice Virgin 86 and most definitely some refurbished 47s!

Meanwhile the First Capital Connect 377 is very very nearly there... looking gorgeous and girly of course!

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 11

I've recently accepted a new one, to Poole in November 2014 and maybe another big one in 2015! I'm fairly excited as it gives me an excuse to model some early-2000s period WCML stock again...

Hi James,

It'd be nice to see a few VT DVTs knocking about on Well Green. Could you stretch the depot to accommodating those perhaps?

Cheers

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

It'd be nice to see a few VT DVTs knocking about on Well Green. Could you stretch the depot to accommodating those perhaps?

Cheers

Tom

That's a very interesting idea Tom!

I must admit I've already got one Hornby Virgin DVT kicking around but never thought to detail it up for Wells Green! I've even got suitable nameplates somewhere so may as well add it to the project list!

Interestingly enough, back in the late 90's one of my early modelling projects was on one of these DVTs...I was about 14 and didn't have the money for a proper Hurst Models Mk3 resin kit so bashed my own using my old Hornby trainset Intercity 225 Mk4 DVT. I spent ages sanding down the body profile, changing all the raised detail, doors windows, everything...spraying it into Virgin colours with my £9.99 Badger...and it still looked terrible!! :blush:

Definitely would be a good one to do! :)

• RMweb Premium

Hia James,

For Loftus Road maybe?

A new project for you...

http://www.wnxx.com/content/020613/kennyo.htm

Those pics of wells green look brilliant

Thanks for the link, might leave that one to my fellow club members though!! So many new projects and a new Grand Theft Auto game in the coming months vying for time..!

I'm really looking forward to when the refurbished Bachmann 47s are released - they are looking to be the ultimate base for recreating some of the tatty RES 47/7s and fabulous former Virgin fleet to recreate the XLRA glory days! 8)

Thanks for the link, might leave that one to my fellow club members though!! So many new projects and a new Grand Theft Auto game in the coming months vying for time..!

I'm really looking forward to when the refurbished Bachmann 47s are released - they are looking to be the ultimate base for recreating some of the tatty RES 47/7s and fabulous former Virgin fleet to recreate the XLRA glory days! 8)

Sounds like a great plan

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Things have got a lot further with the First Capital Connect 'Electrostar' of late...here's a quick teaser pic of the pantograph going in...

28190746893_531c93c988_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It's a representation of the Brecknell Willis pan from the Hornby Class 92, butchered in places with various-sized insulators liberated from Sommerfeldt sprues, Hornby 92 roof spares, and old Class 90s! 

Photos will follow when complete. The unit's been fully painted and currently being fitted out, new seats have gone in, underframe equipment attached, running numbers chosen and transfers being worked on...just awaiting windows, varnishing, passengers and a thorough weathering job! To graffiti or not to graffiti? The FCC units are scum!

Can't wait to get this off the workbench and into service on Loftus Road! :)

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 3

That looks brilliant, how about graffit it on one side and have the other pristine, then just turn the unit round? Then you can have nice non graffitied side (representing maybe 1 or 2 of there units) then the other (representing most of the fleet)

What do you think?

Brilliant job buddy!

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Much like the real thing, it's been a long time coming, but the First Capital Connect '377' finally arrives..!

28806877525_0c3d9c24a5_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar 377504 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

As soon as First Capital Connect had their 377s delivered I knew I had to model one! Originally planned as another Southern unit to accompany my Class 377/2, green and ivory soon made way for sexy blue and pink!

28191764733_726d8e822f_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar 377504 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It's taken around 18 months from starting the project to seeing it running here on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road, but worth the effort and frustration along the way! 

Like my previous Electrostar, this unit was built from Bachmann diesel Turbostar donor models, heavily cut down with brand new scratchbuilt cab ends and inner gangway units, and a decent bulky new underframe. 

I scratchbuilt the cab from plastic sheet, back in 2009, and cast it in resin to save time. 

28806880505_3557b3e7d1_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostars by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The livery is a combination of paint and transfers. Phoenix's First Group blue and pink take care of the main elements, but the transfers were all painstakingly custom made by myself using my photographs of the prototype, scanned in to Photoshop and played with for many hours until happy! 

28295310171_74b68cc901_b.jpgScratchbuilt Class 377 Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

These units are in the frontline of what inner suburban London can chuck at them, and regularly suffer heavy graffiti attacks, but due to the intense schedules are frequently seen in service still bearing their attacker's scars. 

I couldn't resist replicating this on the MSO vehicle, by handpainting some graffiti using prototype pictures of the real FCC units. I really enjoy handpainting unique graffiti as it is much more fun than using generic transfers.

27758277283_c7fd77c967_b.jpgScratchbuilt Class 377 Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28806880505_3557b3e7d1_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostars by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Now complete, FCC unit 377504 will be pressed into service on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road, alongside regular Southern fleet member 377207, built several years ago now.

27758275813_349598560c_b.jpgScratchbuilt Class 377 Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28191765853_42275a80ca_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar 377504 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The Dellner couplings on this new 377 were cast in resin from originals by Bachmann, as found in their Class 350 EMU. I'm much more happy with them compared to the Dellners used on the Southern version, which were robbed from a Voyager!

28806882775_8452d79bea_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar 377504 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The colour is a bit gorgeous!

Dot-matrix destination panels were created in Powerpoint and feature 'Brighton' as the final point of call for this service.

One essential 'mod' for any Turbostar or Electrostar should be the brake discs. On this one I used Colin Craig's 8.5mm stainless steel brake discs. They're really good value at just a few pence per wheel - and look superb when given a paint-on/wipe off weathering treatment. 

28729711371_8e5fba544a_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar 377504 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

As this is a dual-voltage EMU, the unit can be found running as much under the overhead as on the third rail, and I've seen some very dirty pics online where dusty deposits from pantograph's contact with the overhead rain down on the roof below, great fun!

28701585902_295de9675d_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar 377504 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28806885305_1775ab6a47_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar 377504 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

A couple of close-ups of the graffiti - it took a fraction of the time taken to create the overall livery, but my favourite part by far! 

I use '00000' paintbrushes to get a clean sharp finish, and build up the image with using the lightest background colours first, over a number of days as each layer is left to dry. It takes ages but can make for something a bit different when finished.

28522529970_4516decb57_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar 377504 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28806887755_cf0e8b5b12_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar 377504 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

So, it is all finished now, finally!

I've spent much of 2012 and 2013 building this so it is relieving to see it entering service, and is set to become a Loftus Road regular going forwards. I've got many more fun ideas ready for the workbench but have to say that this has been one of the most exciting, if time consuming, projects yet!

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

James,

Absolutely cracking stuff.

I kept visiting the Wells Green workbench page almost daily waiting to see this finished and finally seeing on here one word - WOW!

The graffiti along with the weathering really brings the unit to life, time consuming but well worth the effort.

Given the layout is based on Kensington Olympia would you consider undertaking a 378 at all? Although the recessed doorways and different window arrangements would require even more butchery of the turbostar donors. Maybe a refurbished Southern 455, 456 or FCC 319 from Bachmann 150 or Bratchell models bits. Not that I'm trying to tell you what to do!

Dale

P.S. I've dug my experimental Wales and West 158 out of storage after over a year of no progress on it and hope to have it up complete and running soonish.

• Like 1

Morning James......

Good to see a posting from you............your ear's may have been burning over the last w/end.

I was asked if I would be running modern stock on.. Dover Priory... @ our Folkestone Exhibition.

Still have your 4 x 37 Electrostar ends to fit to the two 3-car Turbostars,............

Will be tracking this thread......... :O

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2

Hi James,

. I have decided to model a Electrostar 375/3xx in Southeastern Livery to match my layout requirements. 

Currently, on a trip to take some photos of a three-car down in Kent at Dover.

Cheers,

Matt

If I had known, you could have called in, I live, 5- mins from Priory station.

I too, have choosen the 3-car sets,to model.

I have found out there are 2. 3-car sets, that run in "off peak"period, to Dover.

• Like 1