Jump to content

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Excellent attention to detail as ever James, and perfect timing - I've just finished my first one!

I don't have any intention of doing 40 though - good luck.

Rich

Hi James,

 

I'll echo Richards comment, I have a few ZKVs on the go but I won't be building, painting and weathering 40!!

 

Good job on those, I like the grubby ones in particular. Even in my period of the late 80s and early 90s they were that colour so it'll be interesting to me to try and replicate that look.

 

It's interesting that you did the 'Tfe' tagged one, I looked at doing it but ruled it out when I saw it dates from 1999 (my time period stops in early 1996, right before EWS!).

 

Cheers,

 

Wayne

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, James Makin said:

Apologies guys, a bit of a pic-heavy post coming!

 

50942333602_642c320cf7_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

I've just completed my first batch of ZKV 'Barbel' wagons, made up from the old Parkside (now Peco) kits representing the rustbox vacuum-braked survivors that lasted on spoil trains until the turn of the century. 

 

50941531093_2e245e1c43_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

These used to be a regular sight at Didcot in my early spotting days and I always used to think of them as like the 'troublesome trucks' from Thomas the Tank Engine! They were such a throwback to the days of steam, and a huge anachronism to see these being hauled around by the likes of shiny red EWS Class 37s!

 

50942335517_c0bf8818aa_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

The starting point was the Parkside kits, now coded Peco PC63, really easy to assemble wagons that can be just thrown together, but with oodles of care taken to ensure they are built straight. I use a piece of glass from a picture frame to ensure the wagon sits flat for the body and the four wheels sit flat without a wobble!

 

50942229706_32cbdc8954_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

Some little extras were added including Accurascale spare sprung buffers (not that they're sprung by the time I've glued them in and made a mess..!), some Smiths instanter couplings plus some brass wire bits to have a bodge at some of the brake pipework underneath, its not quite Pendon quality but I've got about 40 of these to do eventually :lol: 

 

My modelling eye has spotted that the axleboxes on many of the surviving Barbels are slightly revised since either version supplied in the kit, but having trawled parts suppliers and scratchbuiling options I'm conceding that I'll live with these, for now at least!

 

50941535673_b80ae8572b_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

The next stage was having assembled each wagon in the batch, to move onto the fun messy painting stage. There appears to be two types left running in the late '90s - battered BR Dutch grey & yellow, or even more battered Bauxite! One of my absolute favourite ones pictured online still had the 'Iron Ore Tippler' wording just visible on the centre bodyside, what a relic!

 

While the grey ones were simple to do, using fade shades of yellow and pale grey, the rusty brown ones I had some challenges getting them as dark as they needed, until cracking out the extreme dark browns, dirty black and Virgin Trains dark grey..! Lots of mottling and drybrushing took place until the wagons started to generally look like the prototype pictures in front of me. 

 

50942232956_1d1e9245ab_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

Next, each wagon was weighted down with a layer of liquid lead, each one weighs the same as a Bachmann MFA wagon for guidance! Wagons positioned at the head of the train will have slightly more weight added to compensate too. 

 

The individual weathering stage was the most fun part!

 

50941538873_70df32b232_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

Niche Canadian alternative synthpop is prescribed as the recommended music to accompany ZKV Barbel battering! 

 

The amazing thing about these wagons is of course every single one is unique and we are gifted with so many pictures about online these days to find prototypes to model, even of a wagon that disappeared from the network a good 20 years ago now. Photo collections to check out include Andy Jupe, Martyn Read, Paul Bartlett, John Dedman and Simon Bendall's plus many more, either via respective owner websites or across Flickr and Smugmug. 

 

50941540328_76579956e6_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB386317 shown here in the original brown shades, it look a bit of time trying to get the different colours showing through and the numerous patch painted areas buried under the grime and rust of all the years service.

 

50941540753_1769717afc_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB386397 in modelled in the classic Dutch livery that covers the larger majority of the fleet by the late '90s, though the rust on this example was bubbling through the paint, likely caused by the panels being pushed out from the load and the outer paint flaking away allowing water ingress underneath. 

 

50941540988_fe8f973378_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB388411 is looking pretty good for its age! Only a little bit of light scratching, presumably from unloading by grabber at various worksites across the Western Region. 

 

50942235451_595b9a089c_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

I couldn't resist modelling a graffitied version! DB385821 is based on an example photographed on Flickr at Didcot in 1999 so there was no way it wouldn't make it into the collection!

 

50942236851_82e64cd128_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB388875 is really losing the battle to rust! Covered in scars, these were modelled using a combination of scratching the bodywork with a craft knife before painting on & wiping off paint to highlight the damage, and some touching in using fine paint brushes, the shades being most used were Humbrol's 62, 186 and 113.

 

50942344372_f45eff7d79_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB386056 shown here in another patchy livery of brown and touched up shades, modelled on an example again in Didcot Yard before the turn of the century. 

 

50942344827_f37e4ae822_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

Here's the favourite one! DB388196 shows its old Iron Ore Tippler lettering just about through the layers of rust and grime, a superb survivor from 1999. The fresh blue axle boxes were also a nice touch too. 

 

50942237966_d97d965b66_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB385919 is an average example with some scratching on the side but clinging on to life before withdrawal and replacement with more modern air-braked spoil wagon conversions coming on stream such as the MHA 'Coalfish' and MTA wagon designs.

 

50941527558_52af5dddb3_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

Another favourite, DB388691 in a patchy brown livery, the underframes on these wagons are a combination of browns and dark greys mottled on to the underframe and the occasional dry brush with gunmetal to highlight raised detail where needed. 

 

50942330317_7d409ff2ae_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB388548 had a number of deep scratches in the bodyside, again presumably a result from some over enthusiastic grabber loading! 

 

50941528083_84d31f15d8_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

Bringing up the tail end of the first batch of 11 Barbels is DB386309, interesting as it had a different kind of buffers to the others which have more of a mini-Oleo style, these are big and chunky old school ones! Accurascale do buffers which look like good ringers of each style, these are available in the spares section on their website. 

 

50941529503_1d3f2dd88d_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

That's all of the first batch for now, I thought after many years of hoarding these wagon kits from different shows, picking up two or three wherever I saw them, the lockdown was the perfect excuse to just get on with them! 

 

50942330987_48327ed0a9_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

The only downside is that despite taking up a lot of time, they are really small! These used to be often appearing in big long trains and I've got about 40 to do, which will sit nicely behind an EWS 37 for the ultimate late 1990s juxtaposition!

 

50942331312_db16323ef6_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

50942224686_a5ed292236_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

These were great fun to do, and in the meantime if you have any more 1990s 'Barbel' pics that haven't appeared on the web so far then please do share and I will be sure to cover these off in the next batch! 

 

50942222051_759381dade_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

As a bit of a teaser for later this year (I have long lead times!) I have this weekend just cracked open a whole load of new diesel projects, quite a few Bachmann 37s and 47s being tarted up before my old 2010's pre-pricerise bargain stockpile is finally exhausted, so these are on the go, while work elsewhere is advancing on something more 'high speed'! 

 

Cheers,

James

 

Those ZKV look great.

I’ve a few but not to that standard.

where did you get the TOPS numbers?

mine are currently all the same and could do with new transfers to change their identities  

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Superb James, I find your work so inspiring but never seem to pluck up the courage to have a go myself.

Really enjoying this batch of weathering. :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ever so much for the likes and comments, they are such fun little wagons to do!

 

On 15/02/2021 at 07:51, ess1uk said:

Those ZKV look great.

I’ve a few but not to that standard.

where did you get the TOPS numbers?

mine are currently all the same and could do with new transfers to change their identities  

 

I ended up doing a mix in the end, the Dutch grey/yellow ones were a 'cheat' - I made up grey panels on photopaper, using CorelDraw with TOPS panels as part of the larger panel, and that was cut to fit inbetween the ribs of the wagon and the yellow line at the top, kind of a cheaty version of a decal as I've not currently got access to a good printer to do custom waterslide decals etcs! I did the same technique on the EWS MHA Coalfish a few years back, because of the ribs you don't notice the extra depth of the photopaper running inbetween!

 

For the rusty brown wagons without a proper TOPS panel, they were a bit more laboured, I was just individually lettering those using the packs from Fox one digit at a time! I did those first and the pain of those made me go for the lazier printed approach on the later 'Dutch' ones :lol:

 

On 14/02/2021 at 16:54, 37403 said:

Excellent as usual, look forward to seeing more of your work.

Did your class 56 project ever get going? 

 

Thanks, the Class 56 project is creeping forward albeit snails pace! I did receive a bundle of shiny parts from Shawplan last week so I can now progress these further and they will all form part of the 2021 batch of diesels, and incorporated in the bulk final airbrush weathering for the entire batch later in the year. This 'cleanup' batch currently totals (gulp) 28 locos of varying classes..!

 

Finishing this last batch would complete my long-overdue New Years resolution from about 2018 to clear out the fresh RTR locos from storage, but the sobering thought is that once all done, if I might ever fancy more it's back to paying modern day 2021 prices, eek!

 

Cheers,

James

 

  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Appleby Model Engineering do a pack of 4mm transfers that cover the ZKVs. Pack number 4T46. Some pre-made, some with the panel done but gap for your own numbers.

No connection etc. Even with them I won't be able to match these for finish though!

Rich

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

Appleby Model Engineering do a pack of 4mm transfers that cover the ZKVs. Pack number 4T46. Some pre-made, some with the panel done but gap for your own numbers.

No connection etc. Even with them I won't be able to match these for finish though!

Rich

 

Hi Rich can you still get this pack has mine is about all used up and could do with some more for zanders as well as barbels

thanks Dave

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dave parker said:

Hi Rich can you still get this pack has mine is about all used up and could do with some more for zanders as well as barbels

thanks Dave

 

 

Yep. Picked one up last week. Very quick service.

Sorry James - tell us more about the loco stockpile!

Rich

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 14/02/2021 at 12:26, James Makin said:

Apologies guys, a bit of a pic-heavy post coming!

 

50942333602_642c320cf7_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

I've just completed my first batch of ZKV 'Barbel' wagons, made up from the old Parkside (now Peco) kits representing the rustbox vacuum-braked survivors that lasted on spoil trains until the turn of the century. 

 

50941531093_2e245e1c43_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

These used to be a regular sight at Didcot in my early spotting days and I always used to think of them as like the 'troublesome trucks' from Thomas the Tank Engine! They were such a throwback to the days of steam, and a huge anachronism to see these being hauled around by the likes of shiny red EWS Class 37s!

 

50942335517_c0bf8818aa_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

The starting point was the Parkside kits, now coded Peco PC63, really easy to assemble wagons that can be just thrown together, but with oodles of care taken to ensure they are built straight. I use a piece of glass from a picture frame to ensure the wagon sits flat for the body and the four wheels sit flat without a wobble!

 

50942229706_32cbdc8954_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

Some little extras were added including Accurascale spare sprung buffers (not that they're sprung by the time I've glued them in and made a mess..!), some Smiths instanter couplings plus some brass wire bits to have a bodge at some of the brake pipework underneath, its not quite Pendon quality but I've got about 40 of these to do eventually :lol: 

 

My modelling eye has spotted that the axleboxes on many of the surviving Barbels are slightly revised since either version supplied in the kit, but having trawled parts suppliers and scratchbuiling options I'm conceding that I'll live with these, for now at least!

 

50941535673_b80ae8572b_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

The next stage was having assembled each wagon in the batch, to move onto the fun messy painting stage. There appears to be two types left running in the late '90s - battered BR Dutch grey & yellow, or even more battered Bauxite! One of my absolute favourite ones pictured online still had the 'Iron Ore Tippler' wording just visible on the centre bodyside, what a relic!

 

While the grey ones were simple to do, using fade shades of yellow and pale grey, the rusty brown ones I had some challenges getting them as dark as they needed, until cracking out the extreme dark browns, dirty black and Virgin Trains dark grey..! Lots of mottling and drybrushing took place until the wagons started to generally look like the prototype pictures in front of me. 

 

50942232956_1d1e9245ab_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

Next, each wagon was weighted down with a layer of liquid lead, each one weighs the same as a Bachmann MFA wagon for guidance! Wagons positioned at the head of the train will have slightly more weight added to compensate too. 

 

The individual weathering stage was the most fun part!

 

50941538873_70df32b232_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

Niche Canadian alternative synthpop is prescribed as the recommended music to accompany ZKV Barbel battering! 

 

The amazing thing about these wagons is of course every single one is unique and we are gifted with so many pictures about online these days to find prototypes to model, even of a wagon that disappeared from the network a good 20 years ago now. Photo collections to check out include Andy Jupe, Martyn Read, Paul Bartlett, John Dedman and Simon Bendall's plus many more, either via respective owner websites or across Flickr and Smugmug. 

 

50941540328_76579956e6_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB386317 shown here in the original brown shades, it look a bit of time trying to get the different colours showing through and the numerous patch painted areas buried under the grime and rust of all the years service.

 

50941540753_1769717afc_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB386397 in modelled in the classic Dutch livery that covers the larger majority of the fleet by the late '90s, though the rust on this example was bubbling through the paint, likely caused by the panels being pushed out from the load and the outer paint flaking away allowing water ingress underneath. 

 

50941540988_fe8f973378_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB388411 is looking pretty good for its age! Only a little bit of light scratching, presumably from unloading by grabber at various worksites across the Western Region. 

 

50942235451_595b9a089c_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

I couldn't resist modelling a graffitied version! DB385821 is based on an example photographed on Flickr at Didcot in 1999 so there was no way it wouldn't make it into the collection!

 

50942236851_82e64cd128_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB388875 is really losing the battle to rust! Covered in scars, these were modelled using a combination of scratching the bodywork with a craft knife before painting on & wiping off paint to highlight the damage, and some touching in using fine paint brushes, the shades being most used were Humbrol's 62, 186 and 113.

 

50942344372_f45eff7d79_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB386056 shown here in another patchy livery of brown and touched up shades, modelled on an example again in Didcot Yard before the turn of the century. 

 

50942344827_f37e4ae822_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

Here's the favourite one! DB388196 shows its old Iron Ore Tippler lettering just about through the layers of rust and grime, a superb survivor from 1999. The fresh blue axle boxes were also a nice touch too. 

 

50942237966_d97d965b66_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB385919 is an average example with some scratching on the side but clinging on to life before withdrawal and replacement with more modern air-braked spoil wagon conversions coming on stream such as the MHA 'Coalfish' and MTA wagon designs.

 

50941527558_52af5dddb3_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

Another favourite, DB388691 in a patchy brown livery, the underframes on these wagons are a combination of browns and dark greys mottled on to the underframe and the occasional dry brush with gunmetal to highlight raised detail where needed. 

 

50942330317_7d409ff2ae_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

DB388548 had a number of deep scratches in the bodyside, again presumably a result from some over enthusiastic grabber loading! 

 

50941528083_84d31f15d8_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

Bringing up the tail end of the first batch of 11 Barbels is DB386309, interesting as it had a different kind of buffers to the others which have more of a mini-Oleo style, these are big and chunky old school ones! Accurascale do buffers which look like good ringers of each style, these are available in the spares section on their website. 

 

50941529503_1d3f2dd88d_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

That's all of the first batch for now, I thought after many years of hoarding these wagon kits from different shows, picking up two or three wherever I saw them, the lockdown was the perfect excuse to just get on with them! 

 

50942330987_48327ed0a9_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

The only downside is that despite taking up a lot of time, they are really small! These used to be often appearing in big long trains and I've got about 40 to do, which will sit nicely behind an EWS 37 for the ultimate late 1990s juxtaposition!

 

50942331312_db16323ef6_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

50942224686_a5ed292236_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

These were great fun to do, and in the meantime if you have any more 1990s 'Barbel' pics that haven't appeared on the web so far then please do share and I will be sure to cover these off in the next batch! 

 

50942222051_759381dade_k.jpgZKV Barbel wagons by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

As a bit of a teaser for later this year (I have long lead times!) I have this weekend just cracked open a whole load of new diesel projects, quite a few Bachmann 37s and 47s being tarted up before my old 2010's pre-pricerise bargain stockpile is finally exhausted, so these are on the go, while work elsewhere is advancing on something more 'high speed'! 

 

Cheers,

James

 

Excellent work 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks fantastic James, the weathering really adds to it.   Great trick on the transfers that I will make a note of, I have a lot of Fox merlin transfers some of which have also yellowed.
 

I still massively regret not buying another pair of lowercase to respray back when the prices were more reasonable. 
 

for the moment I am making do with a detailed Lima body on a new Hornby chassis.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing James. A great project. Can’t wait to see the 47’s and mk2’s ;)

 

Just when I think I’m getting better at this weathering lark you go and set the bar even higher! Great job.

 

Rhys

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing work James, well done. I have a Lima rake in a box somewhere. I remember waiting forever to get the last TS to make up the set, being so pleased to have the latest scheme. Then headed down to Temple Meads to go back to uni only for the first of the fag-packet ones to roll in in front of me!

Rich

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job James. The 'Merlin' scheme is my favourite of the more modern HST liveries, probably because it reminds me of the Intercity swallow scheme... But then, I'm on old fashioned git! :mocking_mini:

 

Cheers,

Wayne

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great James, I always loved the Merlin livery despite never seeing it in the flesh living up here in what was GNER land at the time.

Quick question: will you be doing a Merlin set with the italic INTERCITY and Great Western branding on the Mk3s ? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

 

On 26/03/2021 at 16:09, The Fatadder said:

Looks fantastic James, the weathering really adds to it.   Great trick on the transfers that I will make a note of, I have a lot of Fox merlin transfers some of which have also yellowed.
 

I still massively regret not buying another pair of lowercase to respray back when the prices were more reasonable. 
 

for the moment I am making do with a detailed Lima body on a new Hornby chassis.

 

Cheers Rich, I know just what you mean! The price of the power car sets has rocketed, I used to have luck in finding them for £100 a pair in that sweet spot in the early 2010s a couple of years after first release with unwanted stock still floating around before the rises came in. I recently paid silly money for some Virgin power cars, having regretted painting my last ones into the FGW fag packet - never imagined they'd become tricky to get hold of! :lol:

 

On 26/03/2021 at 16:18, Rhysb said:

Amazing James. A great project. Can’t wait to see the 47’s and mk2’s ;)

 

Just when I think I’m getting better at this weathering lark you go and set the bar even higher! Great job.

 

Rhys

 

Ha thanks very much Rhys, I really like your weathered stuff! I was thinking of Virgin HST interlopers specifically but bringing the loco hauled services into the mix too and it does get crazy, the fiddle yard will be bulging! I've got 4 Cross Country Mk2 sets assembled so far, taking advantage of raiding the recent batch of Hornby Virgin & Intercity Mk2Fs at the reasonable price point while they were still in the shops at sub-£30 prices from Collett's Models.

 

I've detailed the first train of Mk2Es already a few pages back and the 47/8 fleet is already done (plus a suitable amount of grotty freight rescue locos done for when the real things failed!) - crazy to think how many loco hauled services you'd see on an average day and that they were taken for granted at the time!

 

On 26/03/2021 at 20:17, Rich Papper said:

Amazing work James, well done. I have a Lima rake in a box somewhere. I remember waiting forever to get the last TS to make up the set, being so pleased to have the latest scheme. Then headed down to Temple Meads to go back to uni only for the first of the fag-packet ones to roll in in front of me!

Rich

 

I can totally feel your pain Rich! :lol: I used to try keeping my models up to date around that time and with so much change it was always a losing battle! It was always a conundrum with Great Western as I loved all the liveries, and no sooner did you start to really enjoy seeing matching sets did they change again! I had one of the original Hornby Merlin HST releases and tried repainting it into the new 'Barbie colours in 2001, but not having any transfers, nor being that competent at airbrushing, it looked a bit of a mess! These power cars here are definitely an exercise in getting back something from the youth! 

 

10 hours ago, QuoitsPlayer said:

Looks great James, I always loved the Merlin livery despite never seeing it in the flesh living up here in what was GNER land at the time.

Quick question: will you be doing a Merlin set with the italic INTERCITY and Great Western branding on the Mk3s ? 

 

The GNER livery is equally classy to be fair! It took a while to grow on me but it'll definitely always be considered of the most premium-feeling early-privatisation corporate images there! 

 

For this first Merlin set, it's going to be mostly the dual-Great Western branded coaches as by 1998/99 it seemed a lot of the sets had that branding almost exclusively, but with the odd coach here and there with the original Intercity Merlin branding showing! The Lima TGS I've got in Merlin has the original Intercity branding so I'll likely keep this, while the rest are the Hornby release with the double Great Western logos.

 

Future sets I might have more of a play around though, I've got plenty of decals ready so it'd just be a case of going through pictures and records to work out which specific coach number held the Intercity Merlin brandings the longest and modelling some of those!

 

Cheers,

James

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Cheers Rich, I know just what you mean! The price of the power car sets has rocketed, I used to have luck in finding them for £100 a pair in that sweet spot in the early 2010s a couple of years after first release with unwanted stock still floating around before the rises came in. I recently paid silly money for some Virgin power cars, having regretted painting my last ones into the FGW fag packet - never imagined they'd become tricky to get hold of! :lol:

The prices have certainly helped keep

me focused on what I need rather than what I would like.  2010/11 was about the time that I was really getting into my steam modelling and as a result I missed out on the last hurrah of bargains.  (Though I massively regret not buying a very cheap set of power cars in the Hawkins Bizarre fire sale a few Christmases back.). In an ideal world I would be adding a GNER set as well, given if you model Devon or Cornwall you could get away with hired in GNER / Midland Mainline as well as GWT, Intercity and Virgin (plus Virgin XC).  All the HST liveries in one place!)


I remember seeing the original Virgin XC branded power cars on my last childhood visit to the railway centre in the 90s (must have been fitted pretty much ex works).  But I assume stuff on the triangle wouldn’t appear on the layout?

 

I’m interested in how you plan to run Didcot,  as unless the fiddleyard is ridiculously big I’m assuming a lot of these formations won’t fit.  Do you gradually change the stock through the day?

For Bodmin (should I ever find the space to build it), my intention is 5 storage roads in each direction, to hold a GWT HST, a Virgin service (HST in one direction, loco in the other), 2 for freight, 1 for the TPO /RES.  With one freight road also holding the local passenger.    The worrying thing is I have pretty much built all of that stock, although a lot still needs weathering) 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

The prices have certainly helped keep

me focused on what I need rather than what I would like.  2010/11 was about the time that I was really getting into my steam modelling and as a result I missed out on the last hurrah of bargains.  (Though I massively regret not buying a very cheap set of power cars in the Hawkins Bizarre fire sale a few Christmases back.). In an ideal world I would be adding a GNER set as well, given if you model Devon or Cornwall you could get away with hired in GNER / Midland Mainline as well as GWT, Intercity and Virgin (plus Virgin XC).  All the HST liveries in one place!)


I remember seeing the original Virgin XC branded power cars on my last childhood visit to the railway centre in the 90s (must have been fitted pretty much ex works).  But I assume stuff on the triangle wouldn’t appear on the layout?

 

I’m interested in how you plan to run Didcot,  as unless the fiddleyard is ridiculously big I’m assuming a lot of these formations won’t fit.  Do you gradually change the stock through the day?

For Bodmin (should I ever find the space to build it), my intention is 5 storage roads in each direction, to hold a GWT HST, a Virgin service (HST in one direction, loco in the other), 2 for freight, 1 for the TPO /RES.  With one freight road also holding the local passenger.    The worrying thing is I have pretty much built all of that stock, although a lot still needs weathering) 

 

 

Yeah, around that time there were so many bargains to be had, and you could come home from a show with several new locos in the bag and life was good! There used to be a trader called Martells of Sutton who quickly became our best friends, we'd be out on the exhibition circuit with Worthing MRC's Loftus Road and during the course of an average weekend the Martells guys would be there like market traders trying to get us buying stuff, "ask for best prices" and lots of haggling on new RTR - it was incredible! So many of my current locos being worked on came from this great emporium at silly cheap prices :lol:

 

I've seen some of the great shots of the Midland Mainline and GNER sets going over some of the picturesque places like Cockwood Harbour and thinking that'd make for an awesome model! I'd love to do a Cornish exhibition layout one day, I started and stalled on one inspired by Golant, but it's a great part of the country to model for sure.  

 

For Didcot, it's going to be a pretty big layout, a touch longer than Loftus Road but a fairly similar footprint. The aim is half a 'cut' triangle, the straight station in the foreground and part of the Oxford curve in the background that heads off behind the backscene to rejoin the fiddle yard, with a teaser of Didcot Yard on the left hand side as you look at it, curving back into the fiddle yard while the Swindon lines head off at the front of the layout and later curve round, it's taken a huge amount of planning to get to that stage! I need to put in my order for the next round of Tim Horn laser cut boards to get that part off the ground.

 

The fiddle yard is designed to have 18 roads in a 3 foot depth so identical to Loftus Road's, but will start on the curves so giving capacity of 2 full HSTs per fiddle yard road on many lanes, the shorter ones will host mixes of the numerous Thames Turbos, light engines and shorter MOD freights etc alongside the longer ones, such as the Freightliners, oil trains, steel and the automotive traffic. Ironically the power station coal traffic was coming from Avonmouth Docks by then so while there'd be opportunities for the arrival onto the scene & loco run round at the Swindon end of the layout, the coal stuff won't be a huge part of the traffic through the layout as it happens!

 

Cheers,

James  

 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2021 at 15:57, James Makin said:

Here's what I've been tinkering with lately!

 

51073704711_bb46a4e400_k.jpgGreat Western HST Power Cars by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

 

 

 

 

 

Those Power cars are fab James.   Its about time that livery made it onto the new power car tooling!

I remember at the time when the real things started to re-repainted into 'Merlin' ,  the thought of an HST  not being in Swallow livery didn't sit well with me - couldn't get my head around it  -  but actually,  now , its pure class and aged really well. I love how the  application of the green on the power cars mirrors Intercity livery , around the bodyside grilles and van area  - the stripe extending the light clusters being a nice touch too  -  I'd like to think that someone obviously had great respect for the architecture of the power cars when they came up with it.  

Far from being the beginning of the end , Merlin became Fag Packet , then 'Barbie' etc etc , all really nice and interesting in their own way.  I'd love to see someone tackle the prototype 'Neon' set done for the new FGW franchise.  

 

Jon  

 

 

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi James

 

Congratulations on your article on the OTAs in the "Modelling BR Wagonload Formations" book. I think the insides of the ends are particularly nice, but it's all really beautifully well done weathering.

 

Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2021 at 12:16, Jim Martin said:

Hi James

 

Congratulations on your article on the OTAs in the "Modelling BR Wagonload Formations" book. I think the insides of the ends are particularly nice, but it's all really beautifully well done weathering.

 

Jim

 

Thanks Jim! I didn’t get around to doing any cheeky plug at the time but it was great fun to put the feature together!

 

Cheers,

James
 

79DB3BDD-F766-4F7F-B039-91A9F6825507.jpeg.b855e10a6d27d8a2fc266444189b8969.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.