James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

Top work as always James,

Just one question, those 2+2 seats from the TSO's, are they what came with the coaches?  I only ask as I have 3 full 8 car rakes of Lima Mk3s, 2 Intercity Swallow and one Great Western Merlin livery in which all 12 of the TSO coaches have 2+1 seats, of the 24 coaches only the 3 TGS coaches have 2+2 seats. So unless Lima changed this for the Fag packet livery, I know Hornby have corrected this since taking over production of Mk3s.

Dale 

Except for the 'Pretendolino' TSO's, which as sold seperately (rather than the one in the train pack) were incorrectly fitted with the FO seating unit.

Edited by jonathan452

• RMweb Premium

Except for the 'Pretendolino' TSO's, which as sold seperately (rather than the one in the train pack) were incorrectly fitted with the FO seating unit.

Fair point, not something I've looked at. But at least Hornby have produced a correct more accurate part than Lima, I wonder if they might be available as spares somewhere

Dale

Just one question, those 2+2 seats from the TSO's, are they what came with the coaches?  I only ask as I have 3 full 8 car rakes of Lima Mk3s, 2 Intercity Swallow and one Great Western Merlin livery in which all 12 of the TSO coaches have 2+1 seats, of the 24 coaches only the 3 TGS coaches have 2+2 seats. So unless Lima changed this for the Fag packet livery, I know Hornby have corrected this since taking over production of Mk3s.

Dale 

I'd like to know this too. I have 3 rakes of Lima Mk3s that need correcting. 

To the OP - your work is stunning. I particularly like your TEAs. When mine head to my weatherer I hope you won't mind if I give him photos of yours for inspiration. 

Top quality work mate, especially with the FCC livery.

Sadly they won't be "bang up to date" forever: In about 2 years time, (parts of) Southeastern, Southern and FCC will be combined to create a Super-TOC (currently called TSGN), who will inevitably spend £500million repainting every item of rolling stock loaned to them in a new livery.

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to know this too. I have 3 rakes of Lima Mk3s that need correcting. 

I have a Hornby MK3 TSO to hand, so I dismantled it (far easier than dismantling a Lima MK3!) hoping that the seating unit would have a part number stamped/moulded into it, unfortunately there was not.

Dale 

• RMweb Premium

Dale 

Hi Dale!

Hope you're good,

The Fag Packet coaches above are from the original Lima 1999 batch (apart from the Hornby re-run TGS) but I've cheated by nicking the 2+2 interior from other scrap Mk3s in my collection! 

As an over-enthusiastic 15yr old I accidentally ruined a few GWT Merlin coaches by attempting to paint the then-new FGW 'Barbie' 2001 livery without much success, so I liberated the interiors for these, and an old Jouef coach to make up the numbers! The Hornby reissue of the TGS features the 2+2 interior incidentally.

Have to admit I hate working on the Lima Mk3s, ridiculous that the roof has to come off, in hindsight wishing I'd used the Hornby Merlin coaches and put transfers on the bottom section, but can't stop now!!

• RMweb Premium

I have a Hornby MK3 TSO to hand, so I dismantled it (far easier than dismantling a Lima MK3!) hoping that the seating unit would have a part number stamped/moulded into it, unfortunately there was not.

Dale 

Had I not had my other Hornby Mk3s 'in stock', one option I was about to consider was using old Hornby 'shortie' Mk3 interiors and chopping them around - I used to see the Margate-produced interiors on spare parts sales stands at many shows, and there should be a good number floating around at swapmeet bargain bins - not worth looking at eBay though!

Hope this helps!

James

Edited by James Makin

• 3 weeks later...

Some fanstic bits and pieces on here James.  I have followed the Electrostar project since you first posted about it on your Wells Green TMD site and it has inspired me to make my own.  So far.... nothing has been done, but it will happen eventually.

It is great to see your work as I like to pinch ideas :P

Keep up the good work :)

Luke

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Who did the 4 VEP in Connex ?

That would be me! Decided to paint a VEP in the livery to represent it's final years, dollop of white paint, homemade faded transfers and a big splash of weathering!! :)

• Like 2

That would be me! Decided to paint a VEP in the livery to represent it's final years, dollop of white paint, homemade faded transfers and a big splash of weathering!! :)

It looks very impresive well done

• RMweb Premium

I just realised I've not updated the page for a while (been too busy modelling, doh!) so I thought I'd share a quick update!

The HST has moved on a stage, with the carriage interiors installed in the Mk3s, and the coaches re-weighted to ensure they are all consistent, hopefully minimise any running issues when it takes to the rails!

With the interiors installed, attention could then turn to removing the old Lima windows and replacing with 21st century Shawplan Lazerglaze offerings. From my shattered test Blue & Grey Buffet car, I learned that chopping Lima's plastic glazing with pliers, knives or a razor saw was risky at best, so I opted for the quick kill all-or-nothing circular saw method!

28775218846_43100ef12c_b.jpgMk3 Coach by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The roof pieces were sanded back, leaving enough room for the new Shawplan glazing. Each piece is lazer cut and pretty much a perfect fit in the window recess - installed from the outside, they even have to be fitted a certain way up to get a good fit, such is the snugness! 

I chose to secure each window using dollops of the lovely Krystal Klear glue, being non-solvent-based was critical to avoiding any accidents spoiling your £8.00-a-bag windows! The toilet windows were an absolute pain to fit, but worth it in the end! 

28729740241_a166bdc3e8_b.jpgMk3 Coach by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The plan here is to keep the outer protective film on the windows until the very last minute, which will also save plenty of time when I come to apply the final layer of varnish over the coaches, after the numbering and weathering is all complete.

I'm awaiting custom Shawplan power car nameplates and my gold-printed First Group transfers to come back from my supplier before I can progress further with repainting the HST, so it's being parked for now, while I dabble in some much needed wagon modelling...

My workbench is currently covered in smutty, filthy TEAs and some downright rank OCAs, but that's a story for another day!

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 12

Hi James and all,

It was December 2013 last time I posted an update to this topic on my Electrostar build.

Since then, it has taken a while (like the best electrostars ;) ) to get the livery as close as possible to the Southeastern colours.

This is where I am up to now with the Southeastern livery colours added and the decals to come next (sometime in the future ha).

post-18424-0-76984800-1395786555_thumb.jpg

post-18424-0-33871700-1395786548_thumb.jpg

post-18424-0-56008000-1395786540_thumb.jpg

post-18424-0-59211100-1395786531_thumb.jpg

The cab ends and centre car look amazing, so thank you James for your contribution to my project.

I have been sharing my progress on here, youtube and facebook and the main question I keep getting is where are the cabs from?

So hopefully more people will begin attempting this ambitious but worthwhile project. I know David Todd with his layout of Dover is attempting one and hope more people will also share their projects. 

One question I would like to ask is that would you be able to produce any underframe equipment boxes for sale. I know you used the same resin cast method for the cabs as for the underframe equipment and these would be very extremely helpful and useful towards completing my Southeastern electrostar.. :D

If anyone has any questions about my Southeastern 375 please ask me.

Hope to hear from you soon James,

Cheers!

• Like 5

I hope to return to my project,sometime soon...........

I do agree with Matt, there should be more people,attempting this build..............maybe it is the purchase of the unit to chop up,(or not),

that is putting people off.

Mine is a 3 car build,there are 3 unit's that run  London/Dover/London (Char.X), off peak.

13420392075_ab43430265.jpg

13420530513_610608cfd6.jpg

BFn...........

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One question I would like to ask is that would you be able to produce any underframe equipment boxes for sale. I know you used the same resin cast method for the cabs as for the underframe equipment and these would be very extremely helpful and useful towards completing my Southeastern electrostar.. :D

If anyone has any questions about my Southeastern 375 please ask me.

Hope to hear from you soon James,

Cheers!

Hi Matt!

The Electrostar in SouthEastern colours really looks the part, nice one!

Happy to hear that the models are creating a bit of discussion, I've had the cabs on eBay for a couple of years now and can confirm it's definitely been popular! From the feedback I've had from others, I think many modellers keep their Electrostars the same length as the Turbostar models, while a comparative few go 'whole hog' and do the 20m bodyshell conversions! It definitely pays off doing the extra work though as you can see with yours! Always amazes me how short the EMU vehicles look when you put them side by side with the diesel Turbostar.

I did indeed cast some underframe parts for my own 'Electrostars', they've not been offered for sale mainly as the moulding includes some fine detail under the TSO/PTSO which doesn't always come out well the first time, but if anyone is looking for some to complete their Electrostar then drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do! I can't promise they'll be amazing but they will help I'm sure!

• RMweb Premium

I've been enjoying the chance to tackle some of the 102t TEA bogie tank wagons lately, and here's the latest pair to join the fleet:

28775221746_8b6f08021d_b.jpgTEA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

No. 87984 is a debranded TEA that once saw service with Shell, by the timescale that I'm modelling the wagon, it had long since lost the iconic logos and the smart corporate stripes were losing the battle for prominence against the oil and rust streaks. 

28729742231_267246519b_b.jpgTEA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

BPO 87791 exhibits the smarter green livery from BP, but again regular use and the elements have started to take their toll on the once smart 80-90's corporate livery!

28775223716_924e3264f1_b.jpgTEA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Like many TEAs, the pair have lost their tank-mounted Hazchem panels in favour of the solebar position, with the original positions being crudely blanked out.

28191792703_b04d6c8bd5_b.jpgTEA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

These will be absorbed into the Loftus Road petroleum train fleet along with all the other battered TEAs - now just three more green BP TEAs will follow before the train is finally complete!

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 16

Superb work on those TEAs James, 

It's one wagon I would love to have on Llanbourne but just don't have the room. I remember seeing them working out of Eastleigh back in the day, and remember when the Green livery first started to appear. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2