James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

The 'Craftsmanship/Clever' rating doesn’t do it justice, what a superb collection of modelling techniques James, excellent job. You’ve certainly captured the feel of these work-stained beasts! I love the drivers and cab adornments too, very nice touch and very noticeable through the large cab front windscreens. You mentioned a more modern project (turned out to be the GWR unit) at DEMU but I’m glad to see we’re back on the proper traction!

Just a quick query as to whether you’ve done anything about the lights? They look quite bright in your penultimate photo and I know they’re very bright and the headlights are cool white from new. May I recommend a Tamiya/general household (white papery stuff) masking tape film over the internal light guides? Alternatively, a wash with a pale colour (cream or pale yellow) can dull them down nicely.

I always look forward to your posts...if you’ve got 20 locos to show us, I’ll get me beer chair and popcorn! :good:

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

The 'Craftsmanship/Clever' rating doesn’t do it justice, what a superb collection of modelling techniques James, excellent job. You’ve certainly captured the feel of these work-stained beasts! I love the drivers and cab adornments too, very nice touch and very noticeable through the large cab front windscreens. You mentioned a more modern project (turned out to be the GWR unit) at DEMU but I’m glad to see we’re back on the proper traction!

Just a quick query as to whether you’ve done anything about the lights? They look quite bright in your penultimate photo and I know they’re very bright and the headlights are cool white from new. May I recommend a Tamiya/general household (white papery stuff) masking tape film over the internal light guides? Alternatively, a wash with a pale colour (cream or pale yellow) can dull them down nicely.

I always look forward to your posts...if you’ve got 20 locos to show us, I’ll get me beer chair and popcorn! :good:

Jack.

Thanks very much Jack and great to catch up at Showcase!

That sounds a great tip on the lights, many of those in the Loftus gang will know that I'm no whizz when it comes to that side of the equation! :laugh:

To be honest I am making the most of the period where they still work at all, most of the lights on my other '60's have long since expired!! I'll definitely have a look at some of those ideas to dull them down, other 60s that get allocated more to actual train haulage rather than light engine, I'll blank our the rear reds completely as I'm definitely not at the level where I can use DCC trickery to turn them off at the push of a button!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Great stuff James... I never get bored seeing lots of 60s :) One day I may even get round to doing a RF metals one.

I know what you mean about Brian's nameplates.... I almost came home with a set of plates that were completely inappropriate for me just because they looked amazing. Even my EWS 60 has a set of nameplates making the loco a good 10 years too modern... but it it looks pretty ;)

Jack - I think I'll have a go with your tip. I've spent ages tinting LEDs and haven't found anything that looks right. Always ended up replacing with warm white LEDs and even then they can look a little bit white

Cheers

Will 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit of masking tape over the appropriate spring connector stops the red lights working at the 'coupling' end of the loco when hauling a train, but still allows the white lights to work at the same end.

Just a shame I can't remember which connector it is !! :blink:

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I love 60s too....it was EWS 60019 that a sighting that spawned a renewed interest in trains that I’d long lost and thought would never return.

it was a crying shame they didn’t last that long in EWS before most of them were stored, the 66 being seen as less maintenance intensive IIRC.

I don’t really go near didcot anymore, although I see the tower when cycling on the ridgeway , there’s not many interesting trains left and you can’t really fester in the car park now it’s a much more controlled multi story .

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I don’t really go near didcot anymore, although I see the tower when cycling on the ridgeway , there’s not many interesting trains left and you can’t really fester in the car park now it’s a much more controlled multi story .

Definitely, a day at Didcot has been steadily getting less interesting IMHO for a number of years now, people these days must wonder what was once so exciting about the place! :laugh: 

Firstly the Virgin XC loco-hauled's ending, then the FGW HST's getting MTU'd, then the power station closure taking away the coal trains, the Yard seeming much emptier these days, Julian's Ford closing, followed by the overhead wiring gantries obscuring everything and now the multi-storey car park issue! But Didcot has gained a Nandos in that time, so, every cloud..!  

Cheers,

James

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Those class 60's look Superb James. Nice to see them on Wells Green, how is the layout, is there any show's planned for it? 

Steve.

Cheers Steve! The layout's going good thanks, still in one piece fortunately!

I've not got any shows planned for it but never say never, it normally just gets rolled out every few years for a guest appearance at my club's Worthing show at a push, but I've finally got it set up in my spare room now and it makes for a reasonable background photo plank! Now that more of the new-generation electric locos are arriving then it's more of an incentive to get it out there at shows again, there's a couple of Hornby Virgin 87s arriving soon and the Accurascale 92s coming next year will be a game changer for the layout I am sure!

Cheers,

James

• Like 2

3 hours ago, James Makin said:

Definitely, a day at Didcot has been steadily getting less interesting IMHO for a number of years now, people these days must wonder what was once so exciting about the place! :laugh: 

Firstly the Virgin XC loco-hauled's ending, then the FGW HST's getting MTU'd, then the power station closure taking away the coal trains, the Yard seeming much emptier these days, Julian's Ford closing, followed by the overhead wiring gantries obscuring everything and now the multi-storey car park issue! But Didcot has gained a Nandos in that time, so, every cloud..!  

Cheers,

James

Mother of god, I wouldn’t trade all that for Piri piri chicken...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

James, the GWR Electrostar is a nice project, really smart effect with the Matt bands, but those 60s...now that's my kinda thing! As if the EWS 4 weren't enough, the triple grey tug really rises the bar! Although it's sad to see a damaged 60, the battle scars are really well done. Lovely stuff!

Jo

• Thanks 1

Not much I can say, they look absolutely amazing James! Do you use plain old matt white to fade, sloshed on then wiped away? Then presumably the next step covers any white that might be lodged in the crevices?

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Very nice James and excellent rusting effect... even though it's a little sad to see ! The metals tractor is probably one of my all time favourites of yours!

I'm most impressed with the brush finish you've achieved with the upper grey repaint! 

Cheers

Will 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Inspiring work James, I really must have a go and follow in your footsteps at creating something a little more unique, although think I need a bit of practise to reach your level of superb weathering.

• Thanks 1