James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

What can I say ? Fantastic detail as ever and a lot of work involved. I got as far as priming a body for 37516 then lost interest, I’m too lazy !

Cant wait to see these trundling around “ didcot “, 516 would look super on some Dapol silver bullets as per the quidhampton tanks it worked at least once .

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, I was very close to doing 510 before choosing to do 607 in DRS

youve made a fantastic job of it!  You are now making me want to do more class 37 projects, something I really must resist!  My last spare EWS 37 body is getting dangerously close to a dunk in some paint stripper....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely superb job James as per usual. 
Really loving 510, the Intercity livery sitting so well on a 37, especially one so grimy.

Keep them coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They look great....... Your thread is a go-to just to see what I probably could not do but I live in hope. Is there a chance that you could show a comparison picture of one of you fleet. So model and the real life photo it has been weathered from.

Keith

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks so much for the kind comments guys!

23 hours ago, rob D2 said:

What can I say ? Fantastic detail as ever and a lot of work involved. I got as far as priming a body for 37516 then lost interest, I’m too lazy !

Cant wait to see these trundling around “ didcot “, 516 would look super on some Dapol silver bullets as per the quidhampton tanks it worked at least once .

Cheers Rob you gotta dig the loco out again and finish off someday! Either that or outshop it in earlier Railfreight grey guise for your older layout! 

I've got some silver bullets so that would be ideal, either that or perfect fodder for some humble ballast workings!

12 hours ago, KeithHC said:

They look great....... Your thread is a go-to just to see what I probably could not do but I live in hope. Is there a chance that you could show a comparison picture of one of you fleet. So model and the real life photo it has been weathered from.

Keith

Thanks very much Keith! I'm probably not allowed to post other's pics but the photos I use to weather from are ones I'll dig out from Flickr, I'll search say, "37516 1998" and then screenshot all the pics I can find and use those, from as many different angles as possible all round the loco!

I always wish I'd taken more photos of my own at the time but film used to be rationed by my parents, you had to make the 24 or 36 pics on the film roll last what seemed a whole Summer haha! :lol:

Cheers,

James

• Like 2

I never get bored of looking at your stuff James. Your skills on layouts and rolling stocks is just amazing. I remember drooling over my keyboard as a kid looking at your Wells Green TMD website. And here I am, years down the line, drooling over my keyboard again over your stuff.

That FGW HST looks absolutely fantastic. A beautiful piece of art.

Fantastic mate. Really is.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/06/2020 at 10:47, JackB95 said:

I never get bored of looking at your stuff James. Your skills on layouts and rolling stocks is just amazing. I remember drooling over my keyboard as a kid looking at your Wells Green TMD website. And here I am, years down the line, drooling over my keyboard again over your stuff.

That FGW HST looks absolutely fantastic. A beautiful piece of art.

Fantastic mate. Really is.

Thanks very much Jack! I'm still here and bodging away haha!

I've spent a good decade or so doing scenic bits for our club's extended Loftus Road layout so as that nears the final completion it's been a refreshing past couple of years fulfilling what started as my 2018 New Years Resolution, to get on with some good old fashioned loco detailing projects, all the stock I've been hoarding and gathering too much dust!

The FGW HST was fun but with lots of tedious bits too! Though what with a half a decade passing since then I think I'm mentally ready to tackle another one now! The next one to be worked on will be in the classic 'Merlin' livery of Great Western Trains...it'll be great fun, except the daunting part of painting 300-odd passengers in the coaches..! :lol:

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

Great work as ever !

I always thought the square buffers made a 47 look a bit weird, which is another great reason to model one ! :lol:

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work as ever James...I’ve got a soft spot for Duffs despite them being a shadow of their former fleet size at present. Your weathering on these (and all your other stock) is very tasty indeed.

Regarding 787, I remember hearing that it was due to return to the mainline with WCR at some point as another had donated parts. On an organised visit earlier this year it was indeed in the shed and not stored outside as it had been for years.

I look forward to more grubby beasts :good:

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Jack374 said:

Excellent work as ever James...I’ve got a soft spot for Duffs despite them being a shadow of their former fleet size at present. Your weathering on these (and all your other stock) is very tasty indeed.

Regarding 787, I remember hearing that it was due to return to the mainline with WCR at some point as another had donated parts. On an organised visit earlier this year it was indeed in the shed and not stored outside as it had been for years.

I look forward to more grubby beasts :good:

Jack.

Thanks very much Jack! 

Really interesting to hear about the next steps for 787, it’s gone through so many changes of fortune over the years, amazing it’s still in the frame for potentially coming back! 

I know what you mean about the shadow of the former 47 fleet size - I still buy the legendary Platform 5 stock books each year and am stunned that the entire active fleet can fit on about a page compared to years gone by with page after page for what seemed like most of the front section..! :lol:

Cheers,

James

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, always good to see some more Virgin 47s.  I live in hope of finding the Bachmann Totness Castle as a bargain spares / repairs type purchase.  I don’t really need another one given my planes one loco per rake approach (and already having 47817 in Virgin and a Fraggonset 47/7 to run with the Virgin set.). But Totness Castle in its earlier Virgin XC branding is just so tempting...

• Thanks 1