James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

Hi James,

Great to see you on the RMweb, I still visit your website quite regularly and its good see you are still keeping busy modelling.

The pics of Loftus road look superb, thought you were showing a prototype pic of the unit to start with. Keep them coming please.

Cheers Peter.

Hi James,

Good to see you over here. Like Peter I also still visit your website now and then to see whats been happening. It's great to see the 377 finished and in action. It's a lovely looking model.

What else have you been up to?

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Hi James, I just came across your thread and definitely have problems with working out reality in 2nd and 3rd shots, great work with the conversion. I would really love Electrostars in N but there's hope now the 350's are coming out. I have always thought about a rural Southern layout with 377's (the branding really suits them) with them joining and splitting at a terminus station. Love the Focus too, tho always Grey or blue for me :)

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Hello James

Good to see you on here at last,Wells Green was always one of my favourite TMD layouts with its vast and varied loco fleet. Whats going to happen to Wells Green now its retired?

Thanks for the kind words, it's been great fun exhibiting Wells Green around the country over the past 6 yrs, the plan is to keep the layout stored for a while until I get that urge to dig it out and have a play in a few years time. I suspect the catalyst for that will be if a high spec RTR Class 90 or 92 comes out, then I'm sure the layout will be dusted off in no time!!

I can keep myself entertained for hours shunting locos on Wells Green but I've got itchy fingers to move onto something completely different! My modelling routes have always been in Cornwall and I am recreating a layout I first tried to capture when I was just 12. I hope to properly do it justice the second time around!

Hi James,

Good to see you over here. Like Peter I also still visit your website now and then to see whats been happening. It's great to see the 377 finished and in action. It's a lovely looking model.

What else have you been up to?

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Hiya Wayne!

Hope your doing well? Good to see you likewise! I have to admit I've always been on RMWeb, just a bit of a 'lurker'!!

Work's been mentally busy and the car's ferocious appetite for petrol consumes the entire modelling budget, but I'm getting there with the modelling! Alongside the Electrostar I've been weathering up a train of BP 'TEA' tankers and varying wagons for Loftus Road, still got a load of old Parkside Grampus & Rudd kits that I'm determined will get built! It would be easy to buy new Hornby RTR ones but I'd still feel guilty that these lovely kits didn't reach their final destiny hehe!!

Hi James, I just came across your thread and definitely have problems with working out reality in 2nd and 3rd shots, great work with the conversion. I would really love Electrostars in N but there's hope now the 350's are coming out. I have always thought about a rural Southern layout with 377's (the branding really suits them) with them joining and splitting at a terminus station. Love the Focus too, tho always Grey or blue for me :)

Tom

Cheers Tom, a rural layout with 377s would be pretty cracking I admit. I live near the Sussex 'West Coastway' line, some great inspirational places along the route for modelling, save the odd FGW DMU, we have wall-to-wall Southern stock!

As for the Focus, I'd have one in each colour if I could! But you can never lose an orange one in the car park! :P

As for the Focus, I'd have one in each colour if I could! But you can never lose an orange one in the car park! :P

You couldn't lose the one I used to drive either! Glad your still enjoying the ST, I miss mine.

The unit looks good, I've been watching your progress on your own site. Its always nice to pop in and see what you're up too...

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

You couldn't lose the one I used to drive either! Glad your still enjoying the ST, I miss mine.

The unit looks good, I've been watching your progress on your own site. Its always nice to pop in and see what you're up too...

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott!

Hehe I remember you sending me the pic of yours, definitely an eye opener shall we say!! Have you been given anything fun like an Evo X yet?

377 looks great James, i've followed it on your website and been really impressed with your skills.

All the talk of focus's makes me want my ST back.

Graham.

Thanks Graham - what did you replace your ST with may I ask?

I'm really taken by a green Focus RS but I'm too attached to the ST to part-ex it at the moment!!

Cheers for all the kind comments so far guys - I've got more new unpublished photos of Wells Green TMD that I hope to put up in due course, along with more updates on the many varied club projects I get roped into! :)

Given the popularity of the type, it's a shame that there isn't (yet?) a RTR electrostar. As our local "traction" it's be lovely to have one just like this... as my youngest used to call them "my favourite green train". Looks really nice James. I see you've gone for "200" dual voltage model to extend the layout possibilities. Are these still around ? I haven't seen one on the brighton main line for a while.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

. I see you've gone for "200" dual voltage model to extend the layout possibilities. Are these still around ? I haven't seen one on the brighton main line for a while.

Yes, Southern still have the 377/2s. I have seen them on the Horsham line stoppers a few times, as well as some suburban services: London Bridge - West Croydon for example. I believe they still operate the Watford Jc route as well...

James, That looks cracking!

Having just been camping at Norman's bay and been kept awake by them going along the esat coastway I am reinvigorated with my 2mm electrostar project which we discussed by email!

Before abandoning it a few months ago i had got the front end sorted and it was only the lack of response from the Resin suppliers that ground me to a halt... but the enthusiasm is back and its progressing!

Any plans for some of the other varients?

Still got my Ibiza Cupra... but boy i'd love an acid green Focus RS!

Simon

Yes, Southern still have the 377/2s. I have seen them on the Horsham line stoppers a few times, as well as some suburban services: London Bridge - West Croydon for example. I believe they still operate the Watford Jc route as well...

Ah... thanks... just not seen many on the Burgess Hill stretch of late. There's still the Watford Jct trains then is there?

James... all this asides, it does look good - you've done a grand job.

Sorry that Wells Green is retired too - it gave me a few good ideas... although as a diesel nut, I'd make access to the locos easier by not needing the OC... looks great though.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the nice comments guys - the photos came out well, though I think thats more to do with my mate's iPhone4 camera being not half bad too hahal!!

I never knew Wells Green was retired! thats a shame it was a nice little layout too!

NL

Cheers Nick, I definitely plan to bring it 'back' one day, couldn't bear to break it up! Does need a bit of a refurb though - despite being only 7-8yrs old at tops, its amazing how 6yrs exhibiting takes its toll on a layout!! I forget how many times the front Knightwing palisade fence has had to be replaced now...!! :P

I think it's a great time to start a new layout now, with so many new bits available to modellers, scenic products especially have come on so far even since the early 2000s and so many more RTR 'goodies' available. The last decade has seen D&E layouts really come out of the closet massively into the mainstream, and there are so many cracking layouts around now really putting Wells Green to shame! I literally cannot wait to start on scenics for the new layout, so many new scenes to model and I really want to push the envelope this time around!

I now travel in a MD 902 Explorer!

The only way is up! Little bit faster than the old ST then...all I can say is wow - remember the Sky Cops programme and seeing just how hard it must be trying the navigation and using the clever eye-cameras, and commentating simultaneously! Nice one! :sungum:

Any plans for some of the other varients?

Still got my Ibiza Cupra... but boy i'd love an acid green Focus RS!

Simon

Hiya Simon!

I'd love to model more variants, just finding the time seems the trouble at the moment! I swear my next one will be quicker than the previous 2 year project timeframe though!! I'm tempted by the FCC 377/5s in the jazzy 'city' livery. It's tricky to decide though, I have so many Southern 377/1 and 377/3 favourites from my old trainspotting days which I'd also love to model...decisions decisions!

Cupra still going strong then? Very nice car and I'm jealous of your fuel economy :P

Very nice work on the units, superb modelling. I agree with previous posts at first I too thought they were photos of a real location!

Loftus Road looks like a very nice layout. Is it finished? Shame to hear about Wells Green!

Loftus Road's getting there! Incredibly it's almost as old as Wells Green TMD but development has really picked up and at the club we're always adding new details to keep viewers entertained. We're doing a show in the Isle of Wight this year and Burgess Hill in May 2012 but always looking out for potential new invites for this up and coming layout! (hint, hint, exhibition managers..!)

Grimleygrid, I may have mentioned it before but I absolutely love your layout by the way! :)

• 2 weeks later...