James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

Hi Tom!

They're a selection of my favourite pics I've taken from the last 7 years, so some have featured in low res online and others are all-new! I made sure that they're all different angles to the previous article in Rail Express all those years ago!

Cheers,

Hi James,

Really looking forward to seeing the pictures of the layout...

Any updates on Wells Green .com?

As it says electrostar cab update but the date has changed (I think it had but am not sure) sorry if you have updated it and my stupid iPad hasn't updated the page, it has a habit of doing that!

Thanks,

Tom

Hi James,

Having seen pictures of your resin cabs, I am now sorely tempted to have a go at a 377 Eletrostar! A few questions though:

Is there any prototype information/drawing available for these units? I note that you said the 377s have a 20m long bodyshell, so, just how much needs cutting off the Bachamnn model? Did you take any step-by-step pictures of the conversion process?

These units are indeed very handsome in their Southern livery and are still trundling up and down the Seaford branch along with class 313s at 20 minute intervals.

Hi James,

As a postscript to my previous questions, I have now found all the pictures of the Electrostar's construction on your website. It looks like a lot of chopping of the body to the point where a scratch-built shell might have been easier incorporating the Bachmann doors and glazing. What a lot of work and two years in the makin! The transfers for the 377 are reall impressiveI must also congratulate you on the repainted Hornby 4 VEP in Connex livery. You have done a marvellous job on the model, even the cab fronts don't look so bad! I must have missed your posts on the VEP in May due to exhibition commitments.

Apologies that there is not much 'layout' content in my reply.

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

As a postscript to my previous questions, I have now found all the pictures of the Electrostar's construction on your website. It looks like a lot of chopping of the body to the point where a scratch-built shell might have been easier incorporating the Bachmann doors and glazing. What a lot of work and two years in the makin! The transfers for the 377 are reall impressiveI must also congratulate you on the repainted Hornby 4 VEP in Connex livery. You have done a marvellous job on the model, even the cab fronts don't look so bad! I must have missed your posts on the VEP in May due to exhibition commitments.

Apologies that there is not much 'layout' content in my reply.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin!

Thanks so much for your kind words,

I know just what you mean about the Electrostar bodies, they do require a fair bit of chopping down. I'd tried to cast my short versions in resin but had issues with making such large mouldings and them frequently warping so ended up going the more time consuming route!

But I must admit the 2 and a bit years I spent making the unit I was being super lazy!! I did many more projects inbetween with the 377 on the backburner, if you're that determined I reckon it could be done in a few weeks, the hardest bit by far was getting the cab the right shape!

In comparison, I've spent only a few actual real days modelling a 377/5 in First Capital Connect and already got to the stage of putting the bodies together, so the real test is if you can keep going with a single project long enough...I keep getting distracted by aeroplane models and seeing if I can model one of our 'Dove' Airbus A319s or if I'll get bored again and finish a Bachmann sound '37' that's been on the workbench teasing me with its RTR finish crying out for a scummy weathering job!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

As it's the holidays I've had a little bit of time to do more modelling and thought I'd post an update on my latest Electrostar project - a First Capital Connect 377/5.

Step 1: I've completed the eight scale-length sides for the unit, and all have been sanded/filed down and are in Halfords grey primer as below. As you may notice, it is essential to scatter discarded components from previous modelling projects all over the workbench and self-depreciating mass-market pop-rock from Avril Lavigne is required listening for a task like this.  

28190696473_a608df0c9a_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Step 2: Using copious quantities of Bostik, Super Glue and cyano glues, I have bonded the sides and rooves together for the vehicles, using my own resin-cast ends. Many of my projects often have slight errors, but audience please note that the gaping hole in the roof is supposed to be there, for it is the pantograph well in the centre vehicle. This will be filled with an interestingly-shaped resin lump, later on.

28700556692_8aa496116c_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Step 3: Time to get the guns out, these are my resin Electrostar ends

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jamesmakin2002/m.html?item=190775977005&pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c6b22642d&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

The ends come supplied like this, and with a little bit of fettling, they can soon look like...

28700557162_c34f76a81e_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Step 4:....this! A little filing and sanding makes these beauties fit the Bachmann Turbostar bodies like a boss

28190699423_2ed8c305fd_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Step 5: Here's that gaping hole from earlier, which is now being filled with a pantograph well, cast in resin from one of my original masters. I can supply these to customers if required but the moulding needs a fair bit of sanding and filing, so some may find it easier to fabricate the pan well completely from plastic.

28728640361_868392cd7f_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Step 6: Now that the Electrostar cabs and pantograph wells are fully fitted, the bodies are fully assembled and ready for final filling and sanding.

28805855325_9344342508_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Step 7: Its time to get dirty down below! The underframes need to be shortened to match the 20m bodyshells, which means cutting a section from the centre of the chassis between the bogies, and about 1cm from each inner end.

28728640901_43299cf7ac_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Step 8: Measuring mainly by eye (admit I am a massive bodgeasaurus) I've made my cuts - note that each bogie should line up perfectly underneath each respective double window bay. This is very important. In my vehicle construction, I've retained the Bachmann plastic screw retention clips at each end of the vehicle so I'll need to make further cuts so I can retain screw mounting points for easy screw access in future.

28728641621_fd68b9cb91_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Step 9: Here we go! By this point you will instinctively know if you have finished your model or cocked up another £20 vehicle body, luckily all has gone well :)

28188205844_d5d08c221a_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

So here we go! I've got to repeat the underframe process for the other 2 dummy vehicles, before moving onto the big daddy, the motorised drive unit! This is an all-metal affair and tackled slightly differently, and I hope to show this over the coming weeks as I manfully fight my way through the vodka and chocolate oranges that currently adorn my workbench.

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 5

Very impressive! Any chance of producing those cabs in N gauge? The reason I ask (beyond modelling in N gauge) is that the conversion might be easier as the sides could probably be done more simply using vinyl overlays. The great advantage of N gauge is that detail can be suggested rather than modelled explicitly.

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive! Any chance of producing those cabs in N gauge? The reason I ask (beyond modelling in N gauge) is that the conversion might be easier as the sides could probably be done more simply using vinyl overlays. The great advantage of N gauge is that detail can be suggested rather than modelled explicitly.

I've had the 377 drawn up in N Gauge for ages but not had the courage to take a saw to a 170 shell. It is possible to do a passable Electrostar-style cab in N using vinyl overlays and cutting out a wedge behind the nose to reduce the slope a little. No substitute for a casting or etch but a good workaround!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks! It'd be great to model these in N Gauge but it'd require all new masters etc which would take a fair old while to produce!

A good mate of mine is pondering doing just that very thing though (he has produced other N gauge items like ticket barriers, station DOO mirrors etc for sale on eBay occasionally), he's done a 319 end and said he was considering a 377 resin/plastic end. I'll have a word and if he gets round to finishing his models then I'll put links on this thread.

Cheers,

James  

• RMweb Gold

I'm always happy to work with anyone who's producing a kit and would like vinyl overlays to finish it off. Currently on the workbench is a 4mm Blackpool Tram which is receiving Sea Life Centre advertising graphics. :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

I recently did a feature on Wells Green TMD for BRM Magazine and for this I ended up delving through shedloads of pics of the layout in my personal collection, it was tricky choosing the final ones for the article, and hope you didn't mind me sharing a few 'maybe's!

"Wells Green: The Directors Cut"!!

28700560422_ed08187152_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

47767 Mappa Mundi, 60038 & 56033 Shotton Paper Mill

28190706363_237e93ba5a_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

90030 Crewe Locomotive Works & that pesky 47767! If I recall, the real thing was only in service a few weeks after being refurbished before catching fire...

28190708803_7709b6643d_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

90022 Freightconnection & 92035 Mendelssohn

28805867115_521c813aa9_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

37886 Sir Dyfed/County of Dyfed, 60017 Shotton Steel Centenary Year 1996 & Virgin's 47851 Traction Magazine

I still really miss the Virgin Cross Country XLRA pool 47/8s, amazing times!

28728653421_4e3c544863_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

56033, 90022 & 47831 Bolton Wanderer

28188221104_b5bd563ef4_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

My favourite loco! Crewe IEMD's own depot shunter, IEMD 01. A real must-have for Wells Green TMD.

28774207496_cda3d3c626_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

37886 on the fuelling point. Those company-car Vauxhalls were fairly nice, current vehicles when the layout was built, scary! How many do you see left on the roads now in decent condition?!

28774208146_76b41e0701_b.jpgMTA Doorand 395008 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

In between modelling loco's I'd occasionally model the odd wagon, this is MTA 'Doorand' 395008, a heavily modified EWS MTA. The underframe has been completely rebuilt with lots of fiddly pipework!

28728661131_28969e520e_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

A freezing dark night at Wells Green! 

28521494820_3d3b22a7a8_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

One of my non-EWS locos for the layout from a while back. The name really dates the project ;)

28521498370_f9e60fffa9_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

What better way to re-create Crewe IEMD than a 92 stack!

28774212696_1472f40a3a_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

90027 Allerton T&RS Depot & 90022 Freightconnection. 90027 was the first electric loco I ever tackled and still my favourite.

28774214326_44692b145a_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

A pic of 47712 Artemis in the FM Rail Blue Pullman livery. In late 2005 I'd heard that the locos would be painted in the colour scheme and hurriedly bought a donor model and rushed this model out just as it was released from works!

Modelling the now-historic 2002 - 2006 period, this retro livery was ironically probably the last ever "current" model I have and ever will do!

28190723113_f31bb9a0f3_b.jpgWells Green TMD by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Finally one last night shot to leave with, 66241 and 66010. The 66's are an iconic part of the railway scene from the early 2000s and I wouldn't have it any other way! 

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 16

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a while since the last update! 

I've got further with my new FCC 377/5 Electrostar, and it is going through the paintshop currently.

For all my resin Electrostar cab customers, a common question about the project is how the motor chassis is shortened, so I hope that this 'how to' guide explains in pictures better than I ever can!

Here's how it went -

28521513020_4be72f7630_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Above can be seen the original unmolested chassis. This is a great runner, but unfortunately too long for the Electrostar. So we must chop a big lump out of it!

28700579502_8d6295a737_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And here goes...! A hacksaw enabled steady progress through the metalwork as the chassis block was chopped to fit in the short bodyshell. The only important dimension was making sure the bogie pivot points were the correct difference apart.

Note that I am not using specific dimensions, merely fitting to an already-completed body - it is far more important that both chassis and body match each other well rather than aiming for minute length accuracy if the other one does not match - s'all about the partnership! :)

28190730913_3f7f8442a3_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

As the same time, I was careful to cut in the right place to ensure the body could still clip into the side of the chassis in the original lugs- which means I can remove the screw holes and the body will still stay in place on the chassis.

28728681581_630ae5df70_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The chassis was then reattached together, using metal plate (also from the Bachmann Turbostar) and several bolts drilled through to hold it in place. These were then sawn off, and left a chassis as below:

28700589862_4e867d4879_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Now rejoined - it is time to add the all important motor! This was placed on top of a plasticard base, so as to raise the motor above the chassis to allow clearance for the flywheels.

28700593182_6512dbc2eb_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The next stage was to shorten the driveshafts - using plastic tubing and some glue to encase the original chopped Bachmann mouldings.

28700593982_6923491e3a_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Finally reattached together and chipped up with a Lenz Gold decoder, the power unit is ready for a new life under a third rail electric unit, and with any luck should prove a very smooth runner!

28188255314_5ef64f84c4_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Hopefully this will be of use to my band of kitbuilding followers tackling these wonderful units - wishing you all the very best of luck!

For my next update I hope to have news of the First Group livery application - the fun part!

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening chaps!

I've got a little bit further on the Electrostar project...

I would say it got 'interesting' but after hours of masking that probably isn't quite the right word to define it!!

To start building up the First Capital Connect livery I'm starting with a base primer of Halfords Grey (which is generally just great for showing up surface imperfections anyway) and then going mental with the other jazz on top. Next applied is the obligatory Phoenix Warning Panel Yellow on the ends.

28728686141_8697e0c571_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The yellow was masked off with some of the lovely Tamiya tape, together with a few big dollops of Humbrol Maskol to seal in the awkward shapes during the next spraying stages. The FCC livery consists of an overall bluey colour with pink and white doors. 

Humbrol White 34 was sprayed onto the door region to provide a good base for the hot Magenta and also to give the white stripes. This all sounded a fantastic plan until I realised I'd have to mask each white stripe!

Cutting and applying 32 identical 1mm stripes of masking tape proved very much less exciting than originally thought but by then I was already one foot in... 

28188256524_1a95461318_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Sharing a similar never-ending feeling you get to enduring Average Speed Cameras during motorway roadworks eventually the torture came to an end and I could start properly spanking it, or get busy with the airbrush!

Many modellers give out handy useful advice when doing projects like this but my top tip is to have some amazing music on standby to see you through the sheer boredom that is the less glamorous side of modelling. Relaxing and soulful, Florence + the Machine's 'Ceremonials' is still a superb album and worth of the accolade 'music to mask to'. Somehow there has yet to be a BRIT Award category for Masking but the album is on the shortlist with Moby's 'Play'. 'Gay Bar' by Electric Six was soon discounted.

28728686721_51f9d17c09_b.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

After many years of creating tatty austere freight locomotives, it was nice to begin painting an exciting colour! 

A healthy dose of First Group Magenta forms the bodyside door colour, and should contrast nicely with the First blue once applied. The roof will be painted in Humbrol No.1 mediocre grey in due course and set the livery off well. 

I like to give my viewers value for money so while I got bored waiting for paint to dry this afternoon I went off and made some Easter cakes, so for the 'OMWB Uncut' I present a couple of my other projects below! They are not DCC fitted.  

28774233326_528c656af8_b.jpgEaster surprise #1 - Mini Egg tray bake by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The above is a tray-bake consisting of Malteasers and white chocolate eggs mixed with syrup and crushed biscuit, topped with more chocolate and Mini Eggs, whilst below is a recipe I saw from Cadburys - chocolate brownie with buried Creme Eggs!

28521530400_098fa20565_b.jpgEaster surprise #2 - Creme Egg Brownie by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Willing to provide articles for the monthly magazines but beware the models may melt under studio lighting.

Happy Easter all,

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 13

0-0-0-0-0-0aaa2013-14.jpg

A pic of 47712 Artemis in the FM Rail Blue Pullman livery. In late 2005 I'd heard that the locos would be painted in the colour scheme and hurriedly bought a donor model and rushed this model out just as it was released from works!

Modelling the now-historic 2002 - 2006 period, this retro livery was ironically probably the last ever "current" model I have and ever will do!

Hi James,

long time admirer of Wells Green, particularly as I'm a 'Crewie' myself (but don't tell anyone!!!)! I'm in the planning stages of a small depot layout, based around FM Rail and wish to recreate the blue pullman livery - but in my case I want to model 47709 Dionysos. I just wanted to ask you if you could remember what paint you used for the pullman blue please?

Also, are the any plans to replace Wells Green, now it's been retired?

Keep the updates and pictures coming.

Thanks

Chris