James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

They've been a long time coming, but here's the latest wagons to roll off the workbench...

35960197320_2e6709daaa_b.jpgMKA Limpets by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've always liked the MKA 'Limpet' wagons and long-time viewers of my old Wells Green TMD website will know there's a bit of history there - I was bashing these Bachmann models when they came out in 2005, my first article in Rail Express magazine was a dirty 'Limpet' in November of that year, and then I inadvertently caused a big, bad smell demonstrating at DEMU Showcase '06 when I whipped out my usual soldering iron to start 'battering' the sides..!

I got ambitious in 2007, chopping one in half in an attempt to produce the long-wheelbase variant, but I got distracted by other things, and it never proceeded. So in the depths of my workbench for years have been a number of either hideously bent or chopped 'MKA's gathering dust. Buying a set of newer ones from fellow WMRC gang member Chris Sweeney recently prompted me to think I really should get out the older ones and detail those up first! 

So here they are...

35521558304_bb1d98d4b4_b.jpgMKA Limpets by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The lowest one is a bent, weathered demonstrator from that DEMU Showcase event, some of the sides needed re-profiling, while the middle wagon was the chopped 2007 version - both had homemade holes cut in to turn them from POAs to 'Limpets'. The upper snazzy Loadhaul example being a genuine Bachmann 'Limpet' wagon that I'd bought once they'd released these RTR and you no longer had to cut holes in the sides!

So the underframes were tackled first, with numerous pipe-runs added from photographs, including the prominent 'I' beams that run underneath all of the old TTA-derived chassis that we see on the Limpets. Being the cheapskate I am, instead of getting the nice S-Kits suspension castings, I did my usual trick of cutting the old suspension to replicate the newer slimline version - this is a key attribute of all the newer TTA/MKA/MTA wagons which is sadly missing from Bachmann's model.

36188490942_09d0757bac_b.jpgMKA Limpets by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

On to the painting, and I really started to come unstuck here! I'd chosen some really rusty examples, with no paint behind - just complete rust, and was starting to doubt that I could do this, no matter what shades of paint I was applying to replicate the shades I saw, it just wouldn't work! This took about two months on-and-off to finally get where I wanted it, with help from a recent album from Lady Gaga (Whoooo!).

36188486212_600429d28a_b.jpgMKA Limpets by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Eventually, they started to pull together and were finished off with matt varnish, with the underframes painted in a mix of Humbrol 1/32/33/62/186.

36357022855_371197fc98_b.jpgMKA Limpets by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Of the trio, MKA 390209 was the biggest troublemaker, the almost-entirely rusted finish being something I've never tackled before. There's absolutely no paint left on the prototype wagon, save for a thin yellow band at the top, dating back from the days of its original BR Civil Engineers 'Dutch' livery. After a huge amount of trial and error, I used a sandy-rusty base of brown shades, built up with darker, redder patches. Then individual scratches were added over the top, the darker browns being used to emphasis the older rust, with lighter brown/orange rainwater stains driven down the sides by capillary action. 

36357020345_9c7d8cf3a6_b.jpgMKA Limpets by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've actually found out that Bachmann has released an RTR weathered 'Limpet' wagon with similar weathering - I needn't have bothered really!!

36357018825_6b8b27d894_b.jpgMKA Limpets by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This next one, 390202, was a bit of a cop-out. After having challenges with the all-rust livery of the previous one, this one has a rusty background but mostly overpainted with a brand new coat of grey, with barely any weathering on it, bar from some washed out chalkings. 

The wagons were loaded with some 'spoil' - basically ballast with some greener, earthy elements, as if it's just been dug out of an old trackbed.

35521543834_6bc3b78a1c_b.jpgMKA Limpets by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Then we move on to the final wagon, 390187.

36357016585_eed37d4e7a_b.jpgMKA Limpets by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This was probably my favourite, as we're back on familiar ground here. The Dutch & Rust livery wagon had a patch-paint grey section added over the top, which had received subsequent bashing over the years - a great opportunity to feature some lovely rusty gashes!

36357015625_cb38168e3f_b.jpgMKA Limpets by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It's been a very long-drawn out project for what is just three rusty wagons, but I'm glad to finally get there! It is most satisfying taking almost-ruined wagons from my early modelling career and making them fit to run as decent, reasonably presentable models once again - result!!

36312619996_207b7d80e6_b.jpgMKA Limpets by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've got 2 weeks leave coming up from tomorrow onwards, so I'm very much looking forward to relaxing and potentially attacking some more stock in due course - maybe I'll leave off any more 'Limpets' for a while though! 

Cheers,

James

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Thanks so much for the likes and comments chaps! :)

Great stuff James. I remember that showcase and watching you doing that demo. I went home very inspired but never plucked up the courage to try it myself.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, crazy how time has flown since then too! Never too late to have a go with the soldering iron but I wouldn't go in as brazenly now as I did back then haha, got too many bent wagons laying around!!

Great stuff James,

A satisfying project no doubt - funny how we get nostalgic for 2006/7 , I find as I get older the years run past faster.

I've never been able to achieve quite the brilliance you have with the paint on, wipe off kinda system but I'll keep trying sporadically.

Did you ever do this one ! ?post-450-0-28661700-1502280141_thumb.png

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much guys!

Rob, I love that wagon - I do have a copy of that graffiti VGA pic saved in my 'to do' album (along with 9 billion other locos, coaches and wagons!) so yeah definitely I'd like to tackle that at some point!

I'm currently working on building up the next set of detailed locos ready for the next airbrushing weathering batch later in the summer (including some retro classics!), so there's some fun stuff coming I promise, and wagon-wise I'm drawn between either tackling the last 8 loaded HAA wagons for the MGR coal set or branching off and starting on a completely new rake with either VAA/VBAs or my own Freightliner set!

Cheers,

James

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's time to add another grot bag to the fleet!

37173715305_7418f0718f_b.jpg47348 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

47348 'St Christopher's Railway Home' was a much-loved Railfreight Distribution loco, and another Didcot spotting favourite!

I've had plans to model this one for many years - it's another example of modelling a loco that Lima did 'back in the day' - when pocket money ruled, I 'ringed' it in the Lima catalogue of the time but alas it was never one of the locos under the tree come Christmas Day! So maybe twenty years late, but I've finally got one!

Fast forward 20 years and of course it's based on the current Bachmann model, the 47365 release - the catch being it needed a swap of underframe tanks, roof boiler detail and perversely, reinstating a Crewe-cut buffer beam! Now I've never done the reverse until now!

Here's how it went -

36359503253_e0ea762946_b.jpg47348 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

There's not a lot to show to be fair, the bufferbeam swap was achieved via a complete chassis-swap with another Bachmann '47', whilst slivers of plasticard were added to fill in the gaps on the loco, before a patch-paint in Rail Grey - any colour difference will be long gone under the weathering.  The boiler port was changed with another piece of rectangular plasticard, whilst the underframe tanks were made using a bodged resin cast I'd made of the Heljan ones, some years back. 

Now for reassembly and some fun weathering...

36336972294_87604637ca_b.jpg47348 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Certainly when I saw 47348, it wasn't clean, and judging by Flickr archive shots, it didn't stay shiny for very long for anyone else either! The underframe was painted dark grey, then covered with coatings of brake dust and couple of shades of track dirt.

The sides themselves were fun too - being modelled around the turn of the century, the paintwork had suffered, with a few rust patches, peeling paint here and there, plus a few interesting blemishes crying out to be modelled. Bodyside weathering streaks were added, and the roof treated to 3 shades of weathering, plus my final coating of dirty dark grey with a distinct blue tinge to represent the oily exhaust fumes. 

36336969034_bf8ef6d010_b.jpg47348 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Being a bit past-it, the Tinsley depot plaques were long gone, rusty patches were all that remained, and then on the other side, a notable deep gouge right through the iconic Railfreight diamonds!

36776090060_1b49c10a2b_b.jpg47348 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The classic St Christopher's nameplates remain intact, but the supporting plaques were also gone, and interestingly behind these, a flash of Rail blue uncovered!

36336960094_e19e207973_b.jpg47348 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

47348 was a great loco - sadly chopped up in January 2007, but good to have preserved here, and will be an absolute pick of the fleet for the MOD workings on my new Didcot layout. 

37001885802_b53daececf_b.jpg47348 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

But the nostalgia trip isn't complete, up pops another cheeky Duff!

36776058730_f45dfb7165_b.jpg47348 & 47736 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

47736 'Cambridge Traction & Rolling Stock Depot' was one I'd seen during a great day out to Birmingham New Street in June 2002 - it was one of the locos that had a long layover in the platforms next to the station, so you could build up a kind of affinity to it after a while! I've got a few appalling photos of it from that day, but there's actually an image of the very same loco on Flickr that day, June 29, 2002 - but I'm not in the background sadly!

37173695945_9bf58b76a4_b.jpg47736 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Again, this is based on the Bachmann offering, but with only a little weathering to set it apart!

36359461443_2b250c335b_b.jpg47736 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This one started out on the workbench early in 2016, alongside the faded blue 47467 from last year - it just never got finished until recently! At the time, music from Swedish export Fever Ray was the perfect accompaniment to a former RES loco detailing project. 

37173689425_6b8d6d894c_b.jpg47736 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Streaks were added down the sides, along with roof & chassis weathering in a similar fashion to RfD 47348 above. 47736 stuck out with it's retro black painted headcode panel, and unusually for a RES loco, front end numbering - both replicated here. 

37001872882_e04a01e18e_b.jpg47736 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Nameplates were sourced from the Fox range, interestingly the prototype had lost one of its secondary crests by the time I'd seen it, so the other side just has a scabby mark!

36336934354_d6b5571090_b.jpg47736 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Grilles were highlighted with a touch of gunmetal grey to bring out the louvre detail, and some light greys dry brushed for added tattiness! Again, similar to the other '47', 47736 was scrapped during 2007, so it's good to 'bring it back' here at least!

36336950684_30c943d2cf_b.jpg47348 & 47736 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And there we go, another two for the fleet! I knew I always liked the '47s' but quite by accident, they've become the largest class in my fleet, a great easy detailing project, and saving the Class 60s, probably the best set of names and liveries to grace a modern class of locos!

I hope to have these two pulling their first trains on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road next month at the Fareham show - please do come along and say hello!

Cheers,

James

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic stuff James. How did you acheive the marks where the plates were, that looks really convicing? 

Steve.

Thanks very much Steve!!

I did the marks with tiny 5-0 brushes, brush painting on about 4 shades of brown for the rusty marks and a light grey for a bit of variety!

Starting with the lighter browns and then working up to the darkest brown for the most intense rusty detail - similar to the Limpet wagons further up, it takes a while but the mix of different shades come together to eventually make it hopefully 'pop'!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Wow, those are great....really nice. Can't wait to see your take on didcot as it was.

I can't remember if you use an airbrush ? I don't think you did.

The RES one looks good too, I'm trying to find a use for one as I simply like the colours. I was looking at 736 as well, but I'd like it when it had " U-96 " on the front. Can't quite work that out, I think it started as a railtour number 1L96 or something that eventually was changed to " U96". I guess this was the era of " Das Boot "

• RMweb Premium

They both look incredible James - cheeky question but how did you create the rust damage where the RfD depot plaques were?

Thanks very much! The rust damage technique for the plaques was the same as the response to Steve's question above, basically lots of shades of browns painted on with a super tiny brush! I used Humbrols, 62 is a good starting point for the overall light rust and the streaky parts, then getting more intense where the rust emanates from, so going dark, Humbrols 186, then 113 and 258 get you a reasonable variation of tones, and the rest is just following the prototype pictures! I also love going out in gardens or looking at the tailgates of lorries, anywhere where you can see a good rust patch and rainwater streaking, then apply that in model form! 

Wow, those are great....really nice. Can't wait to see your take on didcot as it was.

I can't remember if you use an airbrush ? I don't think you did.

The RES one looks good too, I'm trying to find a use for one as I simply like the colours. I was looking at 736 as well, but I'd like it when it had " U-96 " on the front. Can't quite work that out, I think it started as a railtour number 1L96 or something that eventually was changed to " U96". I guess this was the era of " Das Boot "

Cheers Rob! I don't use an airbrush for my wagons but I do whip it out for locos, but even then, I save up a batch of locos for a big spraying session, then blitz them all in one go! I find the airbrushing is only the very last stage of the process though, just a quick dusting of the track colours and roof dirt, the real work is the hours and hours of hand-work with brushes, paint-on/wipe-off etc, if I didn't do that then it would probably turn out a bit like a Bachmann factory spray job, only more splatty!! I love what airbrushes can do but hate using them with a passion, too much mess! 

There's some more good RES 47's out there, a few 'tricker' ones which would be great fun, double-flush 47787 Victim Support and ex-celeb single-flush 47788 Captain Peter Manisty RN would be my next picks, if I didn't have a load of other bits to get on with...be good to see which one you go for! If you're doing 'Das Boot'-era, with the late 90s, mine must be 'Austin Powers' era haha (whooo!)! 

• RMweb Premium

As always, absolutely top notch. Excellent workmanship.

As already mentioned, looking forward to your take on Didcot - any start dates in mind?

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much! For the Didcot layout, I'd paused briefly as I'm humming over the final size/concept! I originally planned an end-to-end that could one day plug into a larger recreation, but now weighing up if I can go straight to a full (portable) round-roundy fitted into my garage, with extendable width for going to shows, once I've got the design part sorted then it's all go! :)

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Very nice.

Only ever saw one on the binliner once and that was 58040. Also saw 58020 at forders in 2002 just before they finished,,,,

And that was it, pretty vulnerable as EWS as a small non standard fleet.

What colour/s do you spray your chassis ? Looks much more authentic than my usual frame dirt

• Like 1