19 hours ago, James Makin said:

Thanks Lewis, I can’t wait to see your vans coming on, they do sound right up my street, love all your wagons so far! 

Thats a pretty decent selection of wagons you’ve built up so far...I do miss the days of cheap stock so badly!

I bought most of my stock during the golden period of approx 2004-2012 when high spec current-gen stock started appearing on the market but at reasonable prices, and traders at shows like Martells used to give us stock at an absolute steal! I’d come home from a show with dozens of wagons and new Bachmann locos for like £60, those truly were the days! 

Nowadays I tend to get most of my stuff secondhand, often from my Loftus Road mates at the Club, it’s quite common that some shiny wagons will run on the layout for a few years, to be then sold to me and to reappear on the layout looking disgusting and filthy! 

Thanks very much, it’s embarassing to admit but I don’t actually know how many locos I’ve got! I’d say maybe 150 but I’m a little worried it’s rather more to be honest..! As always, the stuff that’s been detailed, weathered and run on a layout is only a small proportion compared to the general collection filed away for years in cupboards that we all buy for that layout ‘one day’ https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png

The new loco weathering batch is are getting there, slowly! It’s my fault as I keep tackling more...for another separate project I’m airbrush spraying warning panel yellow (a rare occurrence!) so it gave me the tempting excuse to add a double flush-front-converted RES 47 to get detailed up for the big weathering batch while I’m painting the yellow! 

Cheers Rob, the MEAs will eventually be filled with aggregate and are booked to run behind some classic Class 58s! A lot of the cheap MEAs I bought have the horrible old style chassis needing brake lever & buffer upgrades too, I’d better get the therapy booked now I think! 

That's incredible amount of locos you have. Look forward to seeing your latest developments

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/02/2019 at 22:45, Arpleymodeller said:

Thanks alot mate glad you like my wagon work got alot of inspiration from seeing your work to be honest. Oh I do too I remember getting MFA and MTA wagons for £6 each! Now they are more like £19 each! Also got a MOA one of the bogie EWS ballast wagons from Hattons for £14 in 2015....same wagons sell for £38 now! 

In addition to the fleet I mentioned before also got half a dozen VAA/VBA/VGA, a trio of old MEAs, pair of TTAs, 3 BDAs, 3 SPAs and currently working on a OAA! 

What will you be using for the brake lever upgrade on your MEAs? Id love to improve mine but they seem too much of an integral part of the chassis moulding to simply cut away 

Cheers

Lewis 

Haha yes, I still feel a bit mugged inside if I’m paying more than £5 for a little 4-wheel ballast open wagon, you never quite forget the prices of how things used to be! It just means nowadays for your £5 you’re getting a tatty cast-off instead of a nice boxed new wagon!

The OAAs will be fun, I’ve been watching yours come on, I’ve got some Hornby bodies filed away somewhere, I’d planned on a lazy conversion using a Bachmann (VAA I think, it’s one of the trio!) wagon chassis as they look similar design, with the Hornby body bodged on top!

For the MEAs, I’m still yet to give it a go but I reckon the brake levers can be ground off with a minidrill sander and then replaced with etched brass ones - if this doesn’t work out, my backup plan is to grind down the depth of the Bachmann plastic original - but it’s all theory at the moment, I’m tempted to dig some out soon though having talked about it! 

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Good luck.

I flogged all my older MEAs, and have the newer ones only now.

such a useful wagon for EWS years - spoil, aggregate, coal and all over the country .

• Like 1

Interested to see how you get on, I shifted most of my wagons with moulded on break leavers a long time ago, but still have plenty of clay hoods and some milk tanks which need modifying 

• Like 1

On another note, I received this email from Rails of Sheffield today...which wagon looks more value-for-money for your £50?! 

It’d certainly liven up my MOD trains..! :biggrin_mini2:

297F7FD0-8E48-4F4E-967C-7B2DC6940AB4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

Looking at cost per axle I think the Oxford rail one might just win it :sungum:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Any new wagon projects James? Sure you've got another batch waiting to be revealed! 

Cheers

Lewis 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2019 at 09:53, Arpleymodeller said:

Any new wagon projects James? Sure you've got another batch waiting to be revealed! 

Cheers

Lewis 

Haha I sure do!

I’ve spent most of my modelling time lately on something completely different, a commission for a real life train company, which I should be allowed to show some pics of hopefully after this weekend, assuming goes to plan!

Aside from that I’ve been squeezing in a couple of VGAs which are halfway through being weathered (the poo brown variety again!) and six years after my last batch, some more TEA wagons which have so far proved a disaster with getting some initial protecting varnish to stay settled on the model throughout my heavy weathering stages, never had this challenge the last time around! 

I’ll definitely keep you posted on all this for sure! ;)

Cheers,

James

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds interesting 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi James, I been looking back over your thread for a bit of inspiration this eve and I'm not sure if you mentioned it but have you ever tried acrylic paint to do your weathering? 

Steve. 

Comeon, James , get cracking on didcot !

• Like 2

On 10/04/2019 at 18:15, James Makin said:

Haha I sure do!

I’ve spent most of my modelling time lately on something completely different, a commission for a real life train company, which I should be allowed to show some pics of hopefully after this weekend, assuming goes to plan!

Aside from that I’ve been squeezing in a couple of VGAs which are halfway through being weathered (the poo brown variety again!) and six years after my last batch, some more TEA wagons which have so far proved a disaster with getting some initial protecting varnish to stay settled on the model throughout my heavy weathering stages, never had this challenge the last time around! 

I’ll definitely keep you posted on all this for sure! https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_wink3.gif

Cheers,

James

Sounds amazing mate following with much interest! 

Cheers

Lewis 

On 10/04/2019 at 21:28, sb67 said:

Hi James, I been looking back over your thread for a bit of inspiration this eve and I'm not sure if you mentioned it but have you ever tried acrylic paint to do your weathering? 

Steve. 

Thanks Steve! I've only really used enamel paints for all my stuff, basically from my early days of tackling Airfix kits from about aged 11 upwards I built up my collection, moved into railways and never looked back! 

Every now and then I do see some great acrylic-based weathering online that makes me think I should look at some new tricks, but then I look back at the giant stash of enamels I've built up over the years and think "oh I'll just carry on with these" and "maybe next time" :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More "super" modelling here James:good:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent VGAs again

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Those VGAs look fantastic James, they look a good subject to weather.  I know what you mean about todays weathering products, I find it all too easy to but some! 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

The adverts are really ramping up on RMWeb now but I must admit I do like this one!

£250 a day for my handiwork...I’ll reach for the paints and glues now lads! :lol:

617B5039-AD2D-4E7E-B084-9856D5D97C4B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12

Any new updates James...:senile:

cheers neil.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2019 at 00:47, saxokid said:

Hi Neil!

Ohhhh yes!

I've been beavering away on several new diesel locomotives - these are work-in progress so I'm waiting until they're finished before showing, it's more fun that way! These are for the Big Weathering Batch that will take place soon, I hate airbrushing so I'm building up a collection of locos that are pre-weathered and just need the finishing touches of exhaust and track grime to be sprayed before they can be let out of 'the works' for photography on here! There's about 20 locos that I'll be able to unveil in a short space of time, too fun! 

Connected to this (and I know that will interest you Neil!) is my Class 37 strategy...I've amassed 18 Bachmann Class 37s gradually over the years since release, but never got round to doing anything with them, until deciding enough was enough and it's time for their moment to shine!

These 18 locos were picked up in the days before prices rocketed in the hobby, they're all £50 shop-clearance specials, £40 swapmeet buys or £30 offloads from mates over the years. I'd long thought about selling the lot and making a small fortune, but in the back of my mind I knew it'd be impossible to ever buy a substantial fleet again at the current prices!

So it was on to the task of deciding which actual locomotives are to be modelled with what I've got in the collection -

IMG_9732.jpg.251d30b8bcbf4838211f791cd9890654.jpg

The starting points are the trusty Platform 5 trainspotting books of the years I'm modelling, paired with my own blurry Didcot Parkway photos of the time and more professional Flickr images to fill in the rest...this is one of the most exciting parts of a project and to do it 18 times over in just a few weeks has been a great pleasure.

Most of the interesting part has been working out what permutations I can model with what I've got, by tactically swapping split headcode and centre headcode ends around from livery to livery, adding refurbished ends to some and changing roof panels & side grilles, it's a Crystal Maze 'Tractor' challenge!

I've already started work on 4 Trainload Mess (special sector for rustbuckets) locos and have many more to come. I won't spoil any surprises giving away the identities of the locos chosen, but it includes a right mix from scummy triple grey, Dutch wrecks to beautiful EWS heavyweights and some glamorous Scottish interlopers, there's something for everyone, and combines the best of what's featured at Didcot in it's most exciting years.

Watch this space! :P

Cheers,

James

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

1999 ? They were all dying out......sad.

ive gone back to 1991 for my next plank , to give me more 47 variety, before they all fell apart.

id like to see 37248, 065, 114, 051, 057, 370, 116,  079..... it’s like bingo, I wonder if I got any ...;)

• Like 2

ooh bingo.....i'll go for 010, 055, 051, 170, 248, 403, 704 and 717

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Haha love the bingo, get your dibbers and dabbers at the ready!

Rob, you’ve got one direct hit in that line of numbers and Ben you’ve got two! :good:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

^^^^^^^

403 is cheating ! We know you brought 37055 ......

get the bouncers !

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Sounds good to me James:rolleyes:

You no what im like over class "37"s ..

looking forward to more now...

• Friendly/supportive 1