Ive found these dvd"s to be very useful James for "railfreight and class 37" information,

when making up 37s and mixed railfreight traffic like speedlink...

cheers neil..

thumbnail_IMG_0111.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, saxokid said:

Ive found these dvd"s to be very useful James for "railfreight and class 37" information,

when making up 37s and mixed railfreight traffic like speedlink...

cheers neil..

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/thumbnail_IMG_0111.jpg.34be59ed7b8dfd9daebc01aee544b54d.jpg

Thanks Neil, absolutely! I bought a couple of the original VHS's from the original supplier at the full RRP when I was fairly young (South West & West Mids ones), and then some years later I found the above in a box set of DVDs from a discounter 'The Works' - they wanted only £9.99 for all of them, it was a proper wow moment! The Wales one is lovely with so much Coal action, and the sight of the sector 37s in the Valleys with the ancient '50s vacuum braked coal wagons is brilliant.

There's also some very pleasant Irish folk music on the Ireland DVD, so there's truly something for everyone! :laugh:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rob D2 said:

^^^^^^^

403 is cheating ! We know you brought 37055 ......

get the bouncers !

Not at all, I just remember the type of rust buckets that James is going for, happy days indeed!

• Like 3

Off on a random tangent, I saw this interesting sleeper variety at Portslade station this evening, pipes going through the middle, hopefully some fun inspiration for someone to tackle on their layouts!

Cheers,

James

F92BFCAB-C0D6-4052-A39F-E52012BA8F43.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 22/05/2019 at 21:55, James Makin said:

Off on a random tangent, I saw this interesting sleeper variety at Portslade station this evening, pipes going through the middle, hopefully some fun inspiration for someone to tackle on their layouts!

Cheers,

James

James,

I'm guessing those cables are feeders for the 750vDC third rail. In which case you really don't want a tamper to be, err, 'tangling' with them! Could get very messy (and expensive). Hence the rather clever sleepers with a built in 'groove' for the cable.

Several suppliers make 'hollow' sleepers for the same reason.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The 'Craftsmanship/Clever' rating doesn’t do it justice, what a superb collection of modelling techniques James, excellent job. You’ve certainly captured the feel of these work-stained beasts! I love the drivers and cab adornments too, very nice touch and very noticeable through the large cab front windscreens. You mentioned a more modern project (turned out to be the GWR unit) at DEMU but I’m glad to see we’re back on the proper traction!

Just a quick query as to whether you’ve done anything about the lights? They look quite bright in your penultimate photo and I know they’re very bright and the headlights are cool white from new. May I recommend a Tamiya/general household (white papery stuff) masking tape film over the internal light guides? Alternatively, a wash with a pale colour (cream or pale yellow) can dull them down nicely.

I always look forward to your posts...if you’ve got 20 locos to show us, I’ll get me beer chair and popcorn! :good:

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

The 'Craftsmanship/Clever' rating doesn’t do it justice, what a superb collection of modelling techniques James, excellent job. You’ve certainly captured the feel of these work-stained beasts! I love the drivers and cab adornments too, very nice touch and very noticeable through the large cab front windscreens. You mentioned a more modern project (turned out to be the GWR unit) at DEMU but I’m glad to see we’re back on the proper traction!

Just a quick query as to whether you’ve done anything about the lights? They look quite bright in your penultimate photo and I know they’re very bright and the headlights are cool white from new. May I recommend a Tamiya/general household (white papery stuff) masking tape film over the internal light guides? Alternatively, a wash with a pale colour (cream or pale yellow) can dull them down nicely.

I always look forward to your posts...if you’ve got 20 locos to show us, I’ll get me beer chair and popcorn! https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_good.gif

Jack.

Thanks very much Jack and great to catch up at Showcase!

That sounds a great tip on the lights, many of those in the Loftus gang will know that I'm no whizz when it comes to that side of the equation! :laugh:

To be honest I am making the most of the period where they still work at all, most of the lights on my other '60's have long since expired!! I'll definitely have a look at some of those ideas to dull them down, other 60s that get allocated more to actual train haulage rather than light engine, I'll blank our the rear reds completely as I'm definitely not at the level where I can use DCC trickery to turn them off at the push of a button!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Great stuff James... I never get bored seeing lots of 60s :) One day I may even get round to doing a RF metals one.

I know what you mean about Brian's nameplates.... I almost came home with a set of plates that were completely inappropriate for me just because they looked amazing. Even my EWS 60 has a set of nameplates making the loco a good 10 years too modern... but it it looks pretty ;)

Jack - I think I'll have a go with your tip. I've spent ages tinting LEDs and haven't found anything that looks right. Always ended up replacing with warm white LEDs and even then they can look a little bit white

Cheers

Will 

• Like 1

Great work James, thanks for sharing your technique too

• Thanks 1

A bit of masking tape over the appropriate spring connector stops the red lights working at the 'coupling' end of the loco when hauling a train, but still allows the white lights to work at the same end.

Just a shame I can't remember which connector it is !! :blink:

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I love 60s too....it was EWS 60019 that a sighting that spawned a renewed interest in trains that I’d long lost and thought would never return.

it was a crying shame they didn’t last that long in EWS before most of them were stored, the 66 being seen as less maintenance intensive IIRC.

I don’t really go near didcot anymore, although I see the tower when cycling on the ridgeway , there’s not many interesting trains left and you can’t really fester in the car park now it’s a much more controlled multi story .

• Agree 1

The 60s are looking superb as always but you really aren't helping my era dilemma having a time period identity crisis right now lol

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I don’t really go near didcot anymore, although I see the tower when cycling on the ridgeway , there’s not many interesting trains left and you can’t really fester in the car park now it’s a much more controlled multi story .

Definitely, a day at Didcot has been steadily getting less interesting IMHO for a number of years now, people these days must wonder what was once so exciting about the place! :laugh: 

Firstly the Virgin XC loco-hauled's ending, then the FGW HST's getting MTU'd, then the power station closure taking away the coal trains, the Yard seeming much emptier these days, Julian's Ford closing, followed by the overhead wiring gantries obscuring everything and now the multi-storey car park issue! But Didcot has gained a Nandos in that time, so, every cloud..!  

Cheers,

James

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Those class 60's look Superb James. Nice to see them on Wells Green, how is the layout, is there any show's planned for it? 

Steve.

47 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Those class 60's look Superb James. Nice to see them on Wells Green, how is the layout, is there any show's planned for it? 

Steve.

Cheers Steve! The layout's going good thanks, still in one piece fortunately!

I've not got any shows planned for it but never say never, it normally just gets rolled out every few years for a guest appearance at my club's Worthing show at a push, but I've finally got it set up in my spare room now and it makes for a reasonable background photo plank! Now that more of the new-generation electric locos are arriving then it's more of an incentive to get it out there at shows again, there's a couple of Hornby Virgin 87s arriving soon and the Accurascale 92s coming next year will be a game changer for the layout I am sure!

Cheers,

James

• Like 2

Thanks James, sounds like there's quite a bit to look forward to! :)

Steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, James Makin said:

Definitely, a day at Didcot has been steadily getting less interesting IMHO for a number of years now, people these days must wonder what was once so exciting about the place! https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh1.gif 

Firstly the Virgin XC loco-hauled's ending, then the FGW HST's getting MTU'd, then the power station closure taking away the coal trains, the Yard seeming much emptier these days, Julian's Ford closing, followed by the overhead wiring gantries obscuring everything and now the multi-storey car park issue! But Didcot has gained a Nandos in that time, so, every cloud..!  

Cheers,

James

Mother of god, I wouldn’t trade all that for Piri piri chicken...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

James, the GWR Electrostar is a nice project, really smart effect with the Matt bands, but those 60s...now that's my kinda thing! As if the EWS 4 weren't enough, the triple grey tug really rises the bar! Although it's sad to see a damaged 60, the battle scars are really well done. Lovely stuff!

Jo

• Thanks 1

Who's been a busy boy?

Plenty of new stuff for our upcoming exhibitions!

• Funny 1