James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Very nice 37s

wad the roof airbrushes?  Very good effect. 

Thanks Rich, for the roof on each one I’ve painted on & wiped off dark grey, followed by the airbrushing with “roof dirt”, the “dirty black” and then finally just around the exhaust port was the dark blue shade, other than that in places I’ve drybrushed a little gunmetal and polished, so a bit of a combo! 

13 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Very nice ! I never noticed half those differences .

lima 37057 was the first loco I brought when I got back into modelling , from the Toton open day in 1998 

Haha, I didn’t realise there were so many differences either until I got into the project, you know when you get committed and suddenly you realise..!

I never did get a Lima 37057, I think I circled it in a magazine for Christmas one year but alas it didn’t arrive..! I think their 47785 or Transrail 60063 were my among my first Lima models, can’t quite recall! 

12 hours ago, 37403 said:

Lovely, or should I say grimey excellence!

Is the pipework on the front that supplied by Bachmann or do you make your own?

Thanks very much, I do like a filthy one! The pipework is a mixture of what comes in the box and my spares, either Replica Railways air pipes or Roco bufferbeam detailing bits, with screw couplings either from Bachmann or Smiths depending on the donor model! I use a lot of pictures to try and get the pipes to match the prototype, plus allowing valuable space for the wire coupling hoop at one end too!

Some of my other 37s coming were like £30 specials from mates and had no box, let alone detailing parts, so the old spares bin did get looted frequently! 

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Great stuff as usual James. For me, the dirt on the top of the bonnet defines a class 37, that's how I remember seeing them and you've captured that look perfectly. Was that effect airbrushed along with the roof?

• RMweb Premium
On 05/12/2019 at 05:28, sb67 said:

Great stuff as usual James. For me, the dirt on the top of the bonnet defines a class 37, that's how I remember seeing them and you've captured that look perfectly. Was that effect airbrushed along with the roof?

Thanks very much mate! I know what you mean about the trademark dirty bonnet, they look quite ‘unfinished’ until it’s a bit dirty! 

I spray down from directly above with the airbrush, I’ve got a thick lolly stick that I use to briefly shield the windscreen glazing, the only thing to watch for is varying the angle of spray occasionally to stop getting a clean ‘shadow’ around the nose-mounted aerial!

Cheers,

James

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Very cool .Never saw a RR one, but by the time I visited didcot it was mainly 60s and 66s

Thanks Rob! 

Didcot seemed to morph so much over the years, crazy to think how it used to be only just a few years ago! My earliest memories are what would've been rows of RfD 37s and 47s, it was the 37s that stuck out as those 'ugly-nose-ones from the Hornby catalogue' :lol:

My grandparents lived in East Hagbourne and would take me to the GWS to educate me on 'Gods Wonderful Railway' but I was always more interested in the smelly diesels next door..! Somewhere in my relatives' photo collection there is a great pic of a very young me proudly posing next to an Intercity Executive liveried HST power car in what must've been 1990/91, need to get hold of a copy for here!

Things went up a gear when my uncle bought a house in the (then-new) Ladygrove Estate a short walk behind the station, I was allowed to take solo trips out during Sunday afternoon visits, by then it seemed to be dominated by triple grey Mainline 58s and 60s, later to be followed by some super shiny new box fresh 66s laying over in the stabling sidings...and one day, a space-age Class 67! :o

I used to love the clanky old '08' in the yard, it'd change every now and then from faded BR Blue ones to RES to EWS versions, and the amazing sight of the new-era 66s handling the GWS coal deliveries in their vintage GWR-branded wagons!

Alas later years seemed to see less and less action and you'd go and see no locos stabled at all, and funny how times change as a trainspotter that you'd now look at your phone to keep you occupied between trains rather than how one would be checking out the detail differences of the locos stabled! Good times haha!!

Cheers,

James

• Like 4

‘‘Twas an interesting place. When I got back into railways I had to rely on rail magazine to tell me the unusual workings, absolutely hoovered up those pages.

I was too busy with “ life “ to actually go there....funny really as I was born and bred about 25 miles away .

• Friendly/supportive 1

Absolutely superb stuff James. I think the fact these tractors were very much bog standard workhorse s in their day, they actually are more interesting than the celebrity fleet so often modelled

How many more are in the workshop?

Looking forward to the next pair

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/12/2019 at 20:26, 37403 said:

Absolutely superb stuff James. I think the fact these tractors were very much bog standard workhorse s in their day, they actually are more interesting than the celebrity fleet so often modelled

How many more are in the workshop?

Looking forward to the next pair

Thanks very much! It’s nice to try and recreate the machines that we actually saw on the network rather than the fancy ones! I do also seem to have a knack of seeing celebrities when out so it makes it a harder choosing modelling subjects!! 

There was a batch of 11 new Class 37s in this current load, plus some additional stock being done for a mate, so quite a few more updates to come! There’s more 37s which will follow in next years’ weathering batch too.

Currently on the workbench now though is a load of wagons and leftover projects that I’m determined to finish before the end of the year and give a fresh start to some exciting projects in 2020!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Very, very nice James. Thanks for sharing your techniques with us.

Have you started cutting timber for the Didcot layout yet?

Edited by KDG
Smelling pistake
  • Thanks 1

Wow, you are pumping those beauties out !

strange stuff appears to have turned up on the avonmout - rugby coal which recessed at didcot I think, including 37/4s.

ill have to revisit my 37669 which I renumbered from 411, I never noticed the EWS logo and dint bother changing it ...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice once again James.  You are making me edge ever nearer to a mass weathering job on my 37s...

whos paint did you use to touch up the new grills?

speaking of colour, the colour of the EWS red looks a lot richer on the final photos post weathering.  Very nice!

i think I am going to have to get some of those Railtec transfers and redo my model of 521.  Seeing how close you got the replacement grills, I think they should be done while I’m at it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, James Makin said:

...one of the cabs lives on as a feature of a pub garden in Derbyshire!

It does indeed, I went to pay my respects recently...

Tractor in the Trees

Superb work as ever James, I too had 37411 delivered by Father C one year, and it had to be made into the only EWS 37/4 I ever saw (nearly being a millennium baby), 37406 'The Saltire Society'.

Jack.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, KDG said:

Very, very nice James. Thanks for sharing your techniques with us.

Have you started cutting timber for the Didcot layout yet?

Thanks very much! Timber has been cut, but not by me, by Tim Horn! I've got a few of his superb board kits awaiting assembly, which should start taking place soon, to fit on the legs from an old Cornish layout I started some years back!

23 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Wow, you are pumping those beauties out !

strange stuff appears to have turned up on the avonmout - rugby coal which recessed at didcot I think, including 37/4s.

ill have to revisit my 37669 which I renumbered from 411, I never noticed the EWS logo and dint bother changing it ...

There's some fun stuff still to come as well Rob! Next year I'd also like to get the teeth into some '56's too...

I look forward to seeing your 37669 coming along, that was a beast back in the day! I've got a few more '411s and a '521 to build into something, too many good ones to choose from! Plus, the recent Bachmann EW&S 37704 release opens up some easy rebrandings to recreate some rateable red 'Heavyweights'!

22 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Very nice once again James.  You are making me edge ever nearer to a mass weathering job on my 37s...

whos paint did you use to touch up the new grills?

speaking of colour, the colour of the EWS red looks a lot richer on the final photos post weathering.  Very nice!

i think I am going to have to get some of those Railtec transfers and redo my model of 521.  Seeing how close you got the replacement grills, I think they should be done while I’m at it...

Haha nice one Rich! The touch up paint was just Phoenix's EWS red, at first it looks too deep a red against the Bachmann red plastic but once varnished and then the paint on/wipe off weathering is applied, it really blends it in so you can't tell the difference! It's mainly the varnish that hides a multitude of sins!

11 hours ago, Jack374 said:

It does indeed, I went to pay my respects recently...

Superb work as ever James, I too had 37411 delivered by Father C one year, and it had to be made into the only EWS 37/4 I ever saw (nearly being a millennium baby), 37406 'The Saltire Society'.

Jack.

Wow Jack, lovely shot! That's got to be the best way to enjoy a pint, either that or ideal as a hobby room for the back garden! 

37406 was a great looker in immaculate EWS red, on a sunny day it really did pop! Ha, I remember the whole buzz on TV about who'd have the first 'Millennium Baby'...really doesn't feel like 20yrs...it's crazy how time flies, well, the last decade at least..!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

During some research for 37411 I thought I'd dig through my old Didcot photo collection, and found some blurry childhood pics to show a flavour of what I'm looking to create in due course...! Because these are blurry film photos I've tended to ignore them but I thought just for fun to transfer a few into a digital format to share here.

49224464518_4215f329b0_k.jpg37411 at Didcot Yard January 1999 by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

37411, the star itself! The photo is from my old kids snappy camera with zero zoom ability, so yields no modelling usefulness beyond the surrounding areas, which ironically are far more useful to me now than the loco which appears in everyone else's pics!

I found a few more of my pics from 1999 and 2000, the prints been stored in a box for over 20 years and so finding these again was a most interesting journey back to my youth, and fascinating to see the old cars that you suddenly realise you don't see about anymore!

49224461713_36e6cae394_k.jpgDidcot Parkway January 1999 by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

The main station frontage at Didcot Parkway has changed a lot in recent years with the new taxi and bus drop zones compared to how it looked in 1999.

Expensive chemist camera film developing costs meant film roll used to be rationed by my parents when I was younger, so it was a decent occasion when I could take the camera with me on a trip to the station! My uncle and auntie 'photobomb' 60022 on an Avonmouth - Didcot PS MGR coal run...

49225169222_9081a61f94_k.jpg60022 at Didcot Parkway June 2000 by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

49224456628_836b1734ac_k.jpg60022 at Didcot Parkway June 2000 by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Some interesting shunting scrape damage caught on the yellow ends on the side of 60022 above, the pic was taken with modelling inspiration in mind, I will have to make a point of completing the circle and actually modelling 60022 one day!

49224939056_ee5eee08e9_k.jpg37375 at Didcot Yard June 2000 by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

A pair of blue 37s are stabled in the yard too, one of them is 37375, another is an unidentified Mainline blue example...as an aside, you don't see many 'D'-registered Ford Fiestas about these days either!

49224458828_1ee2cdb852_k.jpg37375 at Didcot Yard June 2000 by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

37375 then moves off further down the yard, with again a lovely selection of period motor vehicles in the railway staff parking area in the middle. 

Things went up a gear from late 2000 onwards, my father purchased a new-fangled Olympus digital camera with zoom, and I was allowed to use it under supervision, party time, and no more blurry pics!

Cheers,

James

• Like 15