Proposed Western and Class 14 from Heljan

Guest 838rapid

Guest 838rapid

They were asking People for thier thoughts about which they prefer.

The Chap from Heljan said that it looks like it will be a Wessie.

Cant wait,Hope its to the standard set by the Deltic

• 7 months later...

I'm beginning to wonder if Heljan have missed a trick by deciding not to do an O gauge class 14. Over the last couple of months on eBay I've seen two different examples of the PRMRP class 14 sell for over £300. Plenty of people bidding on both.

• RMweb Gold

I think the market view was the 14 would not sell in sufficient numbers. Tower told me they were not interested in it for that reason (and I got the impression they effectively said that if they didn't support it it would not happen).

I hope Heljan do go ahead at some point especially if 7mm continues to attract a more RTR fan base - after all they've got the design info they need from the 4mm Hattons version.

Chris

I saw an early example of JPL Models' new Class 14 at the Bristol show earlier this year (also featured in the 'Trade News' section of the latest edition of the Gazette). It makes up into a very fine looking model and at the £225 quoted the total cost could well end up rather less (even after adding wheels, motor, gears, etc) than anything Heljan could produce r-t-r. And I doubt Heljan would adopt Dapol's pricing strategy if they did produce one - it's probably fair to say that they'd never sell as many 14s as Dapol expect to sell 08s!

David

Archived