'MONKS SIDING' - Modern Image MGR operations

Arpleymodeller

Hello

Here are the promised images of the scenic baseboard. It has now been completed expect backscene boards which will be added after track laying. I have positioned some locos with some rakes to show roughly how the layout will look like.

post-6254-0-00315200-1316884068_thumb.jpg

post-6254-0-02242800-1316884180_thumb.jpg

post-6254-0-62380200-1316884330_thumb.jpg

post-6254-0-21438500-1316884450_thumb.jpg

The other board,which will be identical to this one, will be finished by around the end of November and start of December to allow tracklaying to be completed by Christmas.. Full operation should be underway by 1st January 2012. The two wil be joined by bolts and will form the rectange with central operating well.

Regards

Lewis

Edited by Arpleymodeller

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The past two weeks has seen tracklaying get underway. I have nearly finished tracklaying on the scenic section although it isnt pinned in place yet as I need to drill the holes for the point motors.

The cross over, this is the main central track feature of the scenic section. Here MGRs will cross over from the up line across to the chord to Fiddlers Ferry PS.

post-6254-0-03863000-1323803547_thumb.jpg

Here is 66068 with a MGR and 60054 on the stabling siding. I will be wiring the scenic section once the point motors are fitted so the first movements should be able to take place this weekend. The fiddle yard board will be built over christmas.

post-6254-0-68359400-1323805358_thumb.jpg

This view shows the curves, these were made to be slightly larger than Hornby 3rd radius for the inner track and slightly more than 4th radius for the outer track.

post-6254-0-41000800-1323805538_thumb.jpg

More images to follow this weekend.

Regards

Lewis

The first track feeds has been connected to the BUS,point acc switches are being wired up too (peco PL-13). 66068 and 60054 were the first locos to run back and to on the wired section. More wiring and tracklaying to carry on tomorrow.

Construction of the fiddle yard baseboard has also begun today so if all goes well the first trains should run this weekend.

Lewis

Its coming along well Lewis, all very neat and tidy (unlike mine). Now that the electrics are almost in place prepare yourself for playtime and lack of getting on with the layout time! It happens to us all. Lol

Hope it all goes well in time for the weekend..

Cheers

Scott

Hi Lewis,

Great to see your progress - I do like the ideas in this one with 60's on HTA's etc and I was suprosed when you said how many you can get into your rakes given the space you have to work on. I also like your real photos - the one with the rear of the billboards with the vegetation is a nice idea to break up a backscene just came to me when i was looking at your thread! I like 60054 and the work on the HTA is also superb.

Keep up the good work and the updates,

Mark

Hello Mark and Scott,

Many thanks for the comments and ideas.The 7ft does allow for a rake of 10 HTAs (just!) or 9 HHAs which although much less than a full length train is still an impressive formation.

Well yesterday I finished laying and wiring the track for the scenic section which allowed a quick test run up and down from one end to another. The wiring for the DCC BUS and feeds is complete although the point motors still need to be fitted and wired. Also the work on building the fiddle yard baseboard is very nearly done and will be finished sometime next week. I plan on laying some of the track in the fiddle yard so I have a full loop to operate on Christmas day which is the deadline. Christmas present 66209 will also make its debut.

Here are some images of the other end of the layout showing the track laid and wired on Saturday. 60054 with its HTAs is seen on the chord which leads to FFPS. This is a bi-directional line and is where all MGRs go when heading to or from the power station. 60054 then joins the down line and heads back to Latchford sidings.

HTAs on the chord

post-6254-0-89732100-1324221620_thumb.jpg

60054 and HTAs

post-6254-0-84253700-1324222582_thumb.jpg

More images of the fiddle yard baseboard to follow next week,

Lewis

Edited by Arpleymodeller
  • Like 1

Monks should turn out better than Dallam as I have the experience of scenics. I plan on using more new materials and techniques this time. The majority of the scenics will be based around the railway with the centre piece being the fully operational level crossing which will use a Express Models kit.

More updates to come this weekend.

Regards

Lewis

• 1 month later...

post-12187-0-92810500-1329414374_thumb.jpg

An interesting thread. Here's a bit of inspiration for you, taken yesterday. I've heard that there are plans to close all the signal boxes on the route this year. Shame, it has a nice juxtaposition of the old semaphores and new(er) locos. Three 60s now on the Liverpool-Fiddlers Ferry circuit, this week there are 007, 065 and 079 to be seen, along with the 70s and odd 66. There's also the gypsum train at least once a week...............

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Oxley, that is a perfect image for when I get round to scratch building the signal box!

Shame if they do close the signal boxes, does Network Rail plan on installing colour light signals?

Do you know anything about the plans to create a chord and close Latchford Sidings?

James,

After a two/three month break from modelling I am now have time to get some more work done. Since December, nothing has been done except the completion of the baseboards and some track laying. I plan on finishing the track laying by the end of the month and will upload some images showing the layout as it is in the next few days.

Regards

Lewis

Edited by Arpleymodeller

Thanks Oxley, that is a perfect image for when I get round to scratch building the signal box!

Shame if they do close the signal boxes, does Network Rail plan on installing colour light signals?

Do you know anything about the plans to create a chord and close Latchford Sidings?

James,

After a two/three month break from modelling I am now have time to get some more work done. Since December, nothing has been done except the completion of the baseboards and some track laying. I plan on finishing the track laying by the end of the month and will upload some images showing the layout as it is in the next few days.

Regards

Lewis

great to hear it ,as i think you capture modern image layout's so well ! can't wait ! :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Gold

Monks Siding is staying, the only box to be abolished is Crossfields, Littons is staying as a crossing frame, the semaphores will all be replaced with colour lights of course.

hth

Lewis

The Arpley Chord plan has been floating around for years, I'm not sure it will ever be built. Network Rail are trying to get Warrington Council to contribute towards the estimated cost of over £14 million, the carrot being offered is that the council could then redevelop the land released at Latchford. There will still be a run-round at Walton Yard to perform for most of the Fiddlers Ferry coal traffic. Logic suggests that a vastly cheaper option would be to do what they used to do in the 80s and 90s, i.e. use a spare loco to drag the trains round from Walton to Latchford, a lot of time sould be saved too. Yet another factor to throw into the equation is the projected remaining life of Fiddlers Ferry, it must surely have exceeded its design life by now.

Jeff

Thanks to Beast, Jeff and Mike for the replies, shame to hear that the semaphores will go but glad to hear the LNWR 'box at Monks will survive.

I dont see why a chord needs to be built. I have heard that people who live near Latchford sidings are tired of the noise of the trains but as it has been there this long I dont see why it would be changed now. £14 million would be better spent on improving Bank Quay station or other infrastructure. Adding to what Mike said, I once read that Fiddlers Ferry had been fitted with the mentioned flue gas desulphurisation equipment meaning it will contiune to operate beyond 2016. However when it does close and a replacement coal power station is not built, will the whole line from Latchford to Fiddlers Ferry close as the only trains that use it are the MGRs and the Gypsums?

I will upload some images of Monk Siding as it currently is some time later today.

Regards

Lewis

Edited by Arpleymodeller

Here are a couple of images showing the layout as it is.

66209 with a trio of MEAs on the future scenic board.

post-6254-0-79763700-1331753531_thumb.jpg

Overview of scenic board with 66068,60054 on the stabling siding. 60039 can be seen on the fiddle yard board with the HTAs.

post-6254-0-45790600-1331753960_thumb.jpg

Fiddle yard baseboards

post-6254-0-60519100-1331754020_thumb.jpg

More updates when I get some more work done!

Regards

Lewis

Edited by Arpleymodeller

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for the thread hijack

Logic suggests that a vastly cheaper option would be to do what they used to do in the 80s and 90s, i.e. use a spare loco to drag the trains round from Walton to Latchford, a lot of time sould be saved too.

Jeff

If it was a cheaper and more timely option, then why isn't it still used? Surely any business is there to make (or not throw away) money?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Hello

I visited Monks Siding this Saturday to take some photos to help me model the location. Although the layout is not a replica of the prototype I do want to model some of the features of the prototype. I was surprised to see how many new houses had been built!

post-6254-0-02973100-1332092447_thumb.jpg

post-6254-0-72351000-1332092618_thumb.jpg

post-6254-0-66031800-1332092934_thumb.jpg

post-6254-0-94429500-1332093135_thumb.jpg

post-6254-0-59944300-1332093372_thumb.jpg

post-6254-0-15155600-1332093514_thumb.jpg

Regards

Lewis

Edited by Arpleymodeller
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Hello again, 

Well....when I started building this layout in 2011 never thought it would be 2019 before I made any updates to this thread! 

After a massive break....moving house....work family and everything else.....I'm finally back to building 'Monks Siding' although only the boards and stock are the same from 2011....everything else has changed!  While the layout will still be MGR focused it is now built to 'EM' gauge and is an end to end rather than roundy roundy type layout. 

New dimensions 14ft x 1ft 6'' plus additional fiddle yard board that is dismantled when the layout is not in operation. 

Time for some photos! 

DSCN7246.JPG

DSCN7313.JPG

Edited by Arpleymodeller
  • Like 8