'MONKS SIDING' - Modern Image MGR operations

Arpleymodeller

Construction recommenced during Summer 2018 with plenty of time and more money being available to spend on the layout. So far the track is wired, weathered and ballasted with a start being made on the structures and scenery. 

The first buildings on the backscene have been added, these use a resin structure sold on Ebay that has been repainted and weathered. 

DSCN7310.JPG

The trackwork is completely hand built using a mixture of C&L and PECO components. The main running lines are flat bottom rail construction using a mixture of timber PECO sleepers and pandrol clips and C&L Costain concrete sleepers. 

DSCN7307.JPG

Edited by Arpleymodeller
  • Like 14

The layout will feature prototypical working signals, the first, this RATIO LMS home semaphore, has recently been fitted. 

DSCN7253.JPG

The current view towards the Fiddlers Ferry end of the layout. Coal trains arrive at MONKS SIDING to run round using the loop which was built in 1988 on the site of the former BSC Monks Hall Steel Works. They then return to fiddlers ferry to unload and then return here to run round and back to LBT to reload. This is a fictional scenario that imagines that Latchford Sidings were closed and the Low Level line joined Arpley Yard via a curve at Slutchers Lane.  

As can be seen the base for the scenery has been made from painted plaster cloth, track ballasted mainly, and scratchbuilt yard lamps added. These use RATIO telegraph poles with RATIO ladders and brass loops.  The lamp itself is a pin point bearing! The one nearest the camera still needs painting. 

DSCN7309.JPG

Edited by Arpleymodeller
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thank you for the replies ! Thanks Will definitely will be plenty of updates this layout is definitely getting built been doing bits almost everyday! 

Thanks rich yes it was built using Peco Il-111 wooden sleepers and Il-112 pandrol clips to represent timber sleepered FB track . The concrete sleepers are Exactoscale . These are soon to be available again now Exactoscale is a separate company again. C&L used to sell them that's where I got these from .

Cheers

Lewis 

• Like 4

Ahh it's okay mate! Cheers thank you! Well I do too it really looks so much more "right" when compared to 00 and it saves the hassle that moving to P4 brings. It's a happy medium. And the extra effort is applied to everything to try and create a realistic overall scene. 

Well got some updates coming been laying static grass, ballasting and also made a small 2ft scenic extension! 

Cheers 

Lewis 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lewis,

Looking good.  The Liverpool - Fiddlers Ferry traffic was always interesting, back in my days working for EWS, I was responsible for planning all the services, at that time it was 60s with the former National Power hoppers. Got a couple of site visits which were good, and a couple of years ago had a cab ride with GBRf out of the biomass terminal (about 300 yards from the coal loading bunker!) up the grade to Tuebrook, then down the WCML through Warrington.  Even today, its still an interesting area for operations.

Shall be following your progress with this having now come across the layout build!

Rich

On 16/02/2019 at 21:10, MarshLane said:

Hi Lewis,

Looking good.  The Liverpool - Fiddlers Ferry traffic was always interesting, back in my days working for EWS, I was responsible for planning all the services, at that time it was 60s with the former National Power hoppers. Got a couple of site visits which were good, and a couple of years ago had a cab ride with GBRf out of the biomass terminal (about 300 yards from the coal loading bunker!) up the grade to Tuebrook, then down the WCML through Warrington.  Even today, its still an interesting area for operations.

Shall be following your progress with this having now come across the layout build!

Rich

Hiya Rich thank you very much! Fascinating to have your professional insight on these operations! 

The layout is intended to typify rather than replicate the exact line but hopefully when the scenics are done it will have the atmosphere of the "Low Level" line . Been doing an extension after I realised I had too much fiddle yard space so scenic section is now 9ft split on two boards. Got more photos coming tomorrow !

Cheers

Lewis 

• Like 3

Time for an update! 

The majority of the basic ground cover has been applied using a mix of Hornby coarse turf and Peco 6mm long static grass which has been layered over the plaster cloth to create an overgrown and uneven texture. 

Monks siding is coming along nicely the basic ground cover of coarse turf and static grass having been applied over the painted plaster cloth. Cobblestones started to be added to the siding and ballasting completed.

Also the freight terminal siding which serves the remnant of what was BSC Monks Hall Steelworks (purely fictional-real one closed in 1986) has been ballasted and Wills granite setts added to represent cobblestones as this was a feature of the old works. 

Heavily weathered Exactoscale bullhead trackwork with the Wills granite setts cobblestones added to create a hardstanding. This siding will be used by "Enterprise" wagonload trains.

Pleased with how it's going together! 

Hornby coarse turf and Peco 6mm static grass combined together for the basic ground cover. Much work still to do with detailing.

The extra scenic area extension has added around another foot to the original 7ft and adds to the feel of space. Always careful to to make a scenic area "cramped" and too "busy". 

An extra foot or so of scenic space has been added with the bridge showing where the fiddle yard will start.

Added another section to the North Light factory just needs weathering and detailing. 

An extra extension has been added to the North light factory. Still needs weathering and finishing off

And finally....a taste of what this layout is all about ....MGR coal trains! 60039 waits to depart back to Liverpool Bulk Terminal with its empty HTAs.....Ahh the memories! 

EWS 60039 on a rake of HTAs ready to depart back to Liverpool Bulk Terminal for loading. The MGR operation has long been something I've wanted to model. 31 HAAs currently completed or being worked on in addition to these 11 HTAs .

That's all for now! Got plenty more thing I'm working on more photos to come in the new week. 

Regards

Lewis 

• Like 11

Thank you very much Will! Yes the winter nights are great time to get jobs done! And glad you like it I love the combination of 60 on EWS HTAs just as I remember and photographed them between 2010-2015 on the Fiddler's PS duties. The slab sides of both seem to naturally go together! 

Plenty more to come! 

Cheers

Lewis 

On 03/02/2019 at 18:23, Arpleymodeller said:

The layout will feature prototypical working signals, the first, this RATIO LMS home semaphore, has recently been fitted. 

DSCN7253.JPG

The current view towards the Fiddlers Ferry end of the layout. Coal trains arrive at MONKS SIDING to run round using the loop which was built in 1988 on the site of the former BSC Monks Hall Steel Works. They then return to fiddlers ferry to unload and then return here to run round and back to LBT to reload. This is a fictional scenario that imagines that Latchford Sidings were closed and the Low Level line joined Arpley Yard via a curve at Slutchers Lane.  

As can be seen the base for the scenery has been made from painted plaster cloth, track ballasted mainly, and scratchbuilt yard lamps added. These use RATIO telegraph poles with RATIO ladders and brass loops.  The lamp itself is a pin point bearing! The one nearest the camera still needs painting. 

DSCN7309.JPG

The second photo definitely has the feel of the Slutcher's Lane bridge when viewed from the former Arpley Station side. The lamps look spot on too.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Thanks 1

Thanks Wild Boar Fell! Ahh I haven't thought of it like that till you said it but I see what you mean! Yes I'm including the old steam era gas lights as they definitely add to the atmosphere Arpley junction retains quite a few amazing considering how long they have been redundant. These model ones are made from Ratio telegraph poles modified with brass strip and a bearing for the lamp and Ratio ladders added instead of the footsteps which were cut off. 

Cheers

Lewis 

Hello and time for another update! 

Been working on the scenery I've added some spare flat bottom rails to the permanent way, cables to connect to the trunking and orange cables, and a hard standing for the relay room building. 

40275607573_6fefeeb1a2_k.jpgMONKS SIDING Progress by Arpleymodeller60059, on Flickr

46517026254_d1c624cf3e_k.jpgMONKS SIDING Trackwork by Arpleymodeller60059, on Flickr

Work is also progressing on the other end of the layout the extension part, backscene fitted and landscaping has begun. 66207 arrives with more coal empties to run round. 

33364863878_528c27826d_k.jpgMONKS SIDING Extension by Arpleymodeller60059, on Flickr

An overview of MONKS SIDING in its current form! As can be seen the foamboard shells for new industrial low relief structures have been added! 

47240738861_b2247f72f6_k.jpgMONKS SIDING February 2019 by Arpleymodeller60059, on Flickr

Also today I've created an Instagram account for the layout under the username     

monkssidingemgauge

Ill continue to post here of course in addition to my Flickr page Arpleymodeller60059

That's all for now! more updates coming shortly, 

Regards

Lewis

Edited by Arpleymodeller
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, d winpenny said:

Looks great brilliant modelling

David 

Cheers mate! Been doing a bit more detailing and scenery today I'll get some more photos up soon. Trying to get everything looking right as possible so that it all goes together well. 

Lewis 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2019 at 04:24, saxokid said:

Coming along great Lewis!!

looking forward to another update now..

thanks neil.

Cheers mate! well its been quite a while but here is an update of whats been going on! 

Most work has been concentrated on detailing with some new relay cabinets via ANYSCALE MODELS these are excellent value for money only £2 for 10! 

47362305222_2bab77aa1b_k.jpgMONKS SIDING MARCH 2019 by Arpleymodeller60059, on Flickr

47362317862_37fd82c1aa_k.jpgMONKS SIDING MARCH 2019 by Arpleymodeller60059, on Flickr

Also been building a couple of RATIO LMS semaphore signals ...

47362315492_5af05f31af_k.jpgMONKS SIDING MARCH 2019 by Arpleymodeller60059, on Flickr

47362316452_ccc5fa460f_k.jpgMONKS SIDING MARCH 2019 by Arpleymodeller60059, on Flickr

The extension end of the layout has also been half ballasted and the embankment has had static grass applied. 

33539228728_af9e8f16d5_k.jpgMONKS SIDING by Arpleymodeller60059, on Flickr

A nice little addition is this Hornby hut which will function as a shunters cabin. 

46499829625_2e4347d77b_k.jpgMONKS SIDING MARCH 2019 by Arpleymodeller60059, on Flickr

First speed limit sign from Sankey Scenics...

32472979397_3833100a8f_k.jpgMONKS SIDING MARCH 2019 by Arpleymodeller60059, on Flickr

And for fun 66019 on the HEA rake! currently have 11 of these hoppers would like to build it up to 20 for an alternative to the HAAs! 

46691853674_07e976fcf1_z.jpgMONKS SIDING MARCH 2019 by Arpleymodeller60059, on Flickr

And that's pretty much it since the last update! Been working on my wagon stock too check my workbench thread for new updates soon! 

Thank you to all who view and like this thread!

Cheers

Lewis 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1