Got home from work today to find Hornby magazine on the doormat, complete with the first free Scalescenes model for a while; a beautiful little single-road engine shed with integral water tower.

This one's spread over the next three issues because of the size (or to make you buy more mags) and I have to say John, looks a fantastic model which should fit the bill for anyone modelling a branch line or who wants a shed but is a little pressed for space. It's going to be a bit frustrating waiting for another two months to start building though!

If you don't usually buy HM, this one is well worth a browse in the newsagents IMHO.

Cheers

Phil

I subscribe to the digital edition so I miss out on the freebies. Subscribing to hard copy magazines from the cock-pit of Europe is very expensive, so my only options are Hornby and LocoRevue. Every so often I feel like I've been in the kitchen while everyone else has trapped.

And I have to say that cover picture is FANTASTIC, the shed pictures are so evocative of the BR steam days. Is he modeller of this parish?

Stewart

I can't remember ever seeing such atmospheric photography of a model; there's even better inside!

The layout is Byworth, by Michael Russell, growing up by the Keighley & Worth Valley and inspired by in part by Stewart's Lane depot in London, A fantastic piece of modelling in a space of just 3' x 2' but it's the lighting and general smoky, grubbiness that brings it to life.

Inspiring stuff.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The scalescenes kit looks great - I am confused. The kit includes a solid side wall and one with windows. Most sheds (I hazard) would have had windows on both sides - and why are there 4 window frames if only 2 are required for the one side with windows?

Its still great though!

• RMweb Gold

THe windows are possibly an option to build with or without

It would be that if this was a downloaded kit as I could just print more sides with windows. But with the preprinted version in the magazine you are stuffed unless you buy a second magazine.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a nice intro to card modelling.....trouble is, fill the water tank and the end would collapse !

As ever with Sca;escenes, the colouring is excellent, but, that weight of water would call for a redesign on the end (solid wall?), and, I'm not toosure about the integrity of the adjacent windows.

Still good practise at card modelling, though !

gerrynick

Archived