N Gauge Society announces LMS Inspection Saloon

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

The N Gauge Society is to produce the first ready-to-run mass-market model in any scale of the distinctive and long-lasting LMS Inspection Saloon.

The model will coincide with the NGS’s 45th anniversary in 2012, and represents its most ambitious ready-to-run project yet.

post-420-0-98684500-1315643130_thumb.jpeg

(Photo courtesy of Brian Daniels)

The LMS, and later BR, built a number of Saloons to allow Senior Managers, Staff and Guests to inspect the railway in style. The vehicles feature a central kitchen area with two large saloons and windows at both ends.

Due to the comfort and usefulness, they remained in service throughout the BR period and a small number even lasted long enough to receive EWS livery.

The model is being manufactured for the NGS exclusively by Graham Farish by Bachmann. It is the NGS’s fourth ready-to-run model and comes after our successful Stove R, BR Independent Snowplough and Queen Mary brake van.

The model will feature separate glazing, a detailed interior, numerous separate fittings and NEM couplers in close-coupling mounts. It will also be supplied with some parts for the modeller to fit, including roof air horns and steam or diesel era lamps as appropriate.

The NGS has selected Diag 2046 for its model, this is the first production batch built from 1940. Our model will incorporate the distinctive recessed door handles that featured on 8 saloons at Wolverton between 1942 and 1947, and has been selected as it offers the best combination of longevity and typicality.

The NGS is producing 500 models each in six different liveries; carefully chosen to reflect the long, distinguished and colourful lives of the LMS Inspection Saloons.

They are:

1) 45021 in original LMS lined crimson lake with black ends (both sides of model shown)

post-420-0-44495700-1315643026.jpg

2) 45026 in BR carmine and cream with black ends

post-420-0-04742900-1315643037.jpg

3) 45020 in BR maroon

post-420-0-00412300-1315643046.jpg

4) 45028 in BR blue/grey with full yellow ends

post-420-0-29526300-1315643053.jpg

5) 45030 in LMS crimson lake with full yellow ends – this version dates from 1977-present

post-420-0-38153100-1315643060.jpg

6) 45029 in EWS maroon with half-yellow ends

post-420-0-29969400-1315643072.jpg

(Please note these are graphicised images to illustrate the liveries, and not the CAD design drawings)

The model is scheduled for release at Warley 2012 and as ever is available to members only. A deposit of £10 is required to reserve each model.

For more information see www.ngaugesociety.com

cheers

Ben A.

I've seen mention of the Inspection Saloon in OO from Flangeway - given that both the N Gauge Society and Flangeway produced the snowplough at roughly the same time (and both evidently manufactured by Dapol), are the research and CAD costs being shared? Can we expect a Mermaid as the next NGS product?

Also, if Bachmann\Farish are producing this, will it be on the same basis as the Queen Mary, with subsequent batches available for sale freely through Farish?

• RMweb Gold

Hello Justin,

The NGS Inspection Saloon is being produced for us by Bachmann/Farish. As far as I am aware, the mooted Flangeway model was to be produced by Dapol, so there is no design commonality.

The arrangements are as with the Queen Mary brake van. After two years, if they wish Bachmann can produce their own versions of the model, that will be available in their standard range. However, they cannot produce the same liveries as the NGS.

I also think that the NGS pricing model (which is based on lower profits than standard retail) mean it's likely that the MSRP would be higher; especially in two years' time as production costs in the Far East are rising rapidly. It's also unlikely that Farish would add more than one or two different models to their catalogue I would have thought.

But personally, I'm not convinced Farish will be in a huge hurry to produce more Saloons; after all, by then there would be 3000 models out there (at least - if some sell out we may produce a further batch or two next year, as we have with Stove Rs and Snowploughs) and they have plenty of other possibilities on the 50' chassis such as Stanier BGs or Kitchen Cars that would sit nicely in their existing range.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

If its anything like the Modelzone TPOs then they will be doing the same liveries but with different runing numbers.

No, not quite.

The diagram being produced is 2046, which comprised 8 examples with the recessed doorhandles we are depicting.

Of those 8, it stands to reason that most (all?) will have received crimson lake (but lined or unlined?), carmine and cream and then BR maroon. So yes, different running numbers of these types may be produced.

However, the later liveries become more problematic as vehicles were withdrawn or modified.

LMS maroon with yellow ends is unique to 45030 while although EWS livery was applied to 45029 and 45020, by the time 45020 was repainted it had also received replacement glazing and lost its end droplights, so would need new glazing at least to be tooled. Hence ours is likely to be the only EWS version.

Of course, there are going to be a very small number of detail compromises for our model too because of service modifications to the Saloons - for example the small square filler recess on the bodyside of 45029 is not moulded, although we may print it on.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Adam,

45029 in IC livery looks great, one reason it was not selected as a launch livery was that it is, of course, the same vehicle as our EWS version and we thought it best to give every vehicle a different number!

The Snowploughs have been so successful we are reordering three liveries and adding two new ones (Eastfield Scotty Dog and Tinsley "Snow Queen") so if the LMS Saloons do as well - and judging by the excitement and orders already flooding in they may do better! - then I'd like to think that 2013 may well see more liveries being cherry picked by the NGS before we lose the rights.

cheers

Ben A.

45020 is massively different, and a good deal more elegant than the originals IMHO. All the EWS ones have some differences in the loss of the end droplights, various fillers and the like but 45020 is dramatically modified including new bogies, and some body/chassis mods to take them, complete new window arrangement, various body side changes that would be different tooling etc.

Plotting ideas for future etches - I do think it may be a good candidate for a nickel silver set of body sides and ends to hack the NGS one once it comes out though. N/S so you can spray it EWS colours then gently use a track rubber or similar to lift the paint off the raised window surrounds and get a professional standard silver windowframe look without being a genius painter.

We shall see.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

I was just about to order the LMS version but thought I'd better check the livery matches (or is a close-ish match) for 45045 on the MHR and now i'm not so sure!

Is this BR Maroon or LMS crimson?

45045arr.jpg

Cheers,

Tom.

Is this BR Maroon or LMS crimson?

Not quite either... In that photo, the lining and lettering is deffinitely LMS, but with that style it should have black ends. Precisely what shade of Crimson/Maroon the base colour is, is hard to tell...

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tom,

In preservation I believe there are some saloons in LMS Maroon with maroon ends. And as Alan has said above, many of the Saloons received modifications to their windows etc that would require some alteration to accurately depict.

There are also some saloons (such as 999503 "Racal Belle http://www.departmentals.com/photo/999503 ) that look similar to the LMS versions but are actually BR built and have significant differences.

This is the reason why it took us quite a while to select the "modern" versions we are doing - finding decent photographs and selecting those that are (as far as bogies, glazing, droplights etc are concerned) are as unmodified as possible!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info Ben!

I guess one of the problems of modelling a preserved railway is that you are always going to come up against stock which has been modified to suit the railway's needs, and may not be totally orginal in appearence or 100% faithfull to period schemes which modellers are more likely to want.

From what I can make out from photos of the MHR's saloon, the base colour is more akin to LMS crimson, but the lining is more in the style of the BR Maroon version....! Time to close my eyes and drop a pin I think!

Cheers,

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Although we wanted to order more than a thousand, Bachmann would not sell us Southern bogies (from the Queen Mary brake van we are doing) on their own, so I think it's unlikely they'll sell us LMS 50' chassis on their own.

Their argument is that they do not see themselves in the kit-bashing/spares market.

cheers

Ben A.

Archived