Diesel Depot diorama in a boxfile

matto21

With funds and time running low at present due to purchasing our first house, I was browsing some photos online last night when I came across this one.

It got me thinking that I could make a diorama based on the right side of the photo, i.e the two shed roads with the Cl 47 and 25 and the siding to the right hand side of the locos. I could make a representation of the shed building [using all the recent experience I've gained in making brickwork and depot buildings :lol:] as a backdrop.

Obviously it would be just a diorama rather than an operable layout but it could be just the thing to work on with my now limited time and money!

Having said that, I've had a couple of ideas that haven't gone anywhere recently so this may be a another one to add to the pile!

We'll see what happens...!

looking at the pic i think its a cracking idea :)

Thanks - time will tell if I can get past the 'good idea' stage!

I've started sketching out the shed front to get an idea of sizes etc. Next step is to build a mock up [or the real thing seeing how impatient I am :D] to get an idea of how it will look. Maybe if I get some free time tomorrow...

Matto

Good project "compact and bijou" as they say as well as being managable because of size.

I find smaller projects are treated to more superdetail than larger ones - just up my street.

Thought Tallerdigg was excellent.

Any chance of uploading a sketch of your boxfile idea?

What a line up! - like a poster on the flickr site mentioned - you dont realise what you had till it's gone - happy days......

Ian

Matto

Good project "compact and bijou" as they say as well as being managable because of size.

I find smaller projects are treated to more superdetail than larger ones - just up my street.

Thought Tallerdigg was excellent.

Any chance of uploading a sketch of your boxfile idea?

What a line up! - like a poster on the flickr site mentioned - you dont realise what you had till it's gone - happy days......

Ian

Thanks for the compliment about Talerddig - I'm glad you like it!

Totally agree about the 'line up', if only...

Here's a very primitive sketch of my idea:

post-3171-0-00797600-1315769021.jpg

Cheers Neil, I think 2 boxfiles might be too ambitious for me right now! :lol:

I think I'll aim to work on one initially but it could expand to more in the future [if I even finish obviously!]

Below are two quick photos which should illustrate the plan better. My initial plan for the depot building was too wide and didn't allow room for the third road so it's been reduced in width slightly. I'm also thinking of angling the depot building slightly for a bit of visual interest and to give [slightly] more room.

Finally apologies for the Lima Class 33 appearing again - it's the only loco I have that hasn't been packed away at the moment :D

post-3171-0-00842500-1315776438.jpg

post-3171-0-93979000-1315776466.jpg

Consider Scalescenes kits for wall sheets and brickwork if your strapped for £££ . Mount on thick card to avoid damp which you have to be careful of. A good project watching with interest - Ian

Thanks Ian. I have several offcuts of embossed plastic sheet left over from my 'other' depot building project so am hoping to use them on the shed building and retaining walls.

Thats looks pretty good matt, i like the idea of the angle, but will you fit in anything bigger than a 33.

Thats the beauty of the box files, you can add them with very little hassle.

Hi Neil, I think I can probably squeeze a Class 37 or 47 in front of the shed [hopefully! :lol:]

I want to raise the level of the 'base' of the diorama slightly i.e I don't want to build/lay track directly onto the bottom of the boxfile. I'm thinking of simply using a piece of mounting card supported by a lattice of card underneath for support. Failing this I'll use a piece of thin ply.

Also need to decide whether to use a piece of Peco flexitrack with the sleepers re-spaced or a piece of C&L flexitrack [which I was accumulating for a 'future' larger project]. Oh how I hate decisions!

Good idea re: Peco track - at least you won't need a great deal. As for the base thin MDF would be my choice.

Photo background for the Shed Internals? and Waspstripe doors for the other.

Fuel Tanks - Scalescenes? could fill a corner...

Thought about something similar for my Virgin 57 Pink Lady Bodysnatcher - involved a pop up backscene idea from one of the kids books - maybe another day.......

Thats not to bad then Matt, as for the floor i would definatly consider Ians Idea of MDF or to keep the weight down some foam insulation or Celotex insulation.

I like the ideas Ian has with the scalescenes stuff and a photo background for the internals is one of my favourites as you and Ian well know :)

I think the peco track would be good enough once modified.

I haven't even thought of things like a shed interior yet!

Feels like years since I made any kind of layout. Oh, hang on, it is...!

The photo I was using as inspiration features a refuelling area to the right. This is an area that I'll need to think carefully about as I don't want to crowd what little space there is.

The little bit of progress so far can be seen in the photos below [very quickly taken and I apologise about the shadows]. Part of the front of the boxfile has been removed down to the level of the baseboard [offcut of plywood] which hopefully should make things a bit more interesting.

I've also made a start on cladding the shed building with embossed plastic sheet but please note this hasn't been trimmed to size yet.

post-3171-0-79510400-1315926125.jpg

post-3171-0-60148400-1315926135.jpg

(It's not a proper boxfile layout if you can't close the lid....)

Looks like a great little project, have fun !

Good point I am sure Matto is unaware any rules though......So was I it is in an (exlidded) boxfile.... ^_^

Excellent potential to display stock and keep up interest - you must add power to it - I presume you were?

Hang on....who said anything about there being no lid?!

I admit the lid isn't visible in the above pics but rest assured it is still attached! Oh and Stu, the shed building will be removable so the lid will close :P

Matto stuff the so called "rules" - not that there were any - H&Safety next? watch yer fingers - keep up the good work - Try to avoid having any disasters like I have - a warped and twisted roof on my latest creation - stripdown and redesign later today with strengtheners to be added - (I dare not post the images - it is a horror story) - another Crisis - it is where I get that from....... :fool:

• 3 months later...

Good lord... how did I miss this. The same photo on Flick has inspired me to do something very similar (but not in a boxfile). My progress is a little slow (I've just put down some of the "concrete" sections) but as and when, I get a bit more done.

I shall keep a closer eye on this now.

Hi,

just wondered how this boxfile depot was getting on?

Er, that would be not at all unfortunately. I haven't even thought about it until reading this comment!

Good lord... how did I miss this. The same photo on Flick has inspired me to do something very similar (but not in a boxfile). My progress is a little slow (I've just put down some of the "concrete" sections) but as and when, I get a bit more done.

I shall keep a closer eye on this now.

That sounds interesting, and it is a bit of a coincidence!

I think you've already accomplished more than I have!

Questionable... :no:

I may be brave and start a thread later seeing as it's is still fairly near the start of the project. It's really more about creating somehitng that allows photos to be taken from more realistic angles but I won't be able resist putting some power to it I suppose. :sungum:

Archived