Legends of Industry - Tanfield Railway 10/11Sept 2011

DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Edit: Sorry folks, I hadn't seen the thread on this events in Exhibitions before I posted this, I hope no one minds.

I had a look at Tanfield's Legends of Industry Gala today at the railway in County Durham. They had 6 engines in steam, as seen in the photos below.

Four of them are Tanfield residents: No49, Sir Cecil A Cochrane, Twizell and Renishaw Ironworks No6.

Visiting engines are Agecroft No1 from the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry and Birkenhead from the GWRPG.

There is also a 2' gauge Lister running on a short line.

Together with this there is a display of old cars and model boats at East Tanfield, also aTraction engine, model railways and sales stands at Marley Hill.

There was certainly plenty to see and do with a very good train service, some mixed trains, all 4 wheel carriages with wooden seats. Refreshments are available everywhere.

It was a very enjoyable day out.

If anyone else has photos do add them.

There are more of my photos at: http://www.flickr.co...57626192203459/

post-5613-0-11940600-1315690694.jpg

post-5613-0-12602800-1315690696.jpg

post-5613-0-71056100-1315690696.jpg

Sir Cecil A Cochrane at Marley Hill

post-5613-0-45063100-1315690698.jpg

post-5613-0-75619800-1315690700.jpg

post-5613-0-04009200-1315690703.jpg

And lastly a few of the volunteers without whom the railway could not function.

post-5613-0-82783900-1315690704.jpg

David

I was also at the TR on Saturday I had my dog (starring on my avatar) with me.

Had a most enjoyable day and took some piccies which I will share a few of with you here (more on my Flickr stream)6147570551_e747c582cc_b.jpg

A view from the shed window onto the restoration queue

6147568203_c884df5fc0_b.jpg

Standing lonely on shed at Marley Hill

6148116718_db4d1f0391_b.jpg

Everything alright mate?

6148106894_a989c756fe_b.jpg

A study in dust and rust

6147552771_794a58bd07_b.jpg

This photograph for me IS the Tanfield, look at those weeds! Simply marvellous.

Some decent layouts in the carriage shed were not to be missed but there was a slightly disappointing turn out of classic cars at East Tanfield. Might I suggest (if anyone is listening) that a general invitation to classic car owners would draw a much better response as the wording on the website seemed to imply that it was by prior invitation only? (They would have been up one Porsche at least!)

And finally a word of praise for the friendly and helpful staff, many of them very young indeed but all a credit to their railway and I loved the period uniforms they were sporting.

Was in Newcastle taking research photo's of the High Level Bridge.

Visited Tanfield on the Saturday. Some nice industrial shunters, but the highlight was

looking round their sheds at the vast amount of stock they have.

Mac.

post-9584-0-74359000-1316276220_thumb.jpg

post-9584-0-87632200-1316276240_thumb.jpg

Some nice pictures posted on this thread: looks like it was a good weekend. They do have a lot of stock, much of it unrestored and it would be interesting to know what their plans and priorities are for much of it - ie how feasible it is to get some of the more esoteric stuff (eg the electrics) running again. I've not found much about their plans on the web (though their new photo blog is doing a nice job of showing day to day activity around the railway). Anyone got any insight into their restoration strategy?

Some nice pictures posted on this thread: looks like it was a good weekend. They do have a lot of stock, much of it unrestored and it would be interesting to know what their plans and priorities are for much of it - ie how feasible it is to get some of the more esoteric stuff (eg the electrics) running again. I've not found much about their plans on the web (though their new photo blog is doing a nice job of showing day to day activity around the railway). Anyone got any insight into their restoration strategy?

Making the electrics run isn't that hard looking at the north tyneside guys who have a working electric run from batteries in a wagon behind the loco.

You can always rely on Tanfield to put on a good show.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

With regards to restoration our number one priority is to get more and more under cover and secure. In recent years we've completed two large sheds so that all of our working carriages and all of our restored but out of ticket engine are comfortably under cover. Plans are being formulated for more buildings in the next few years. On the subject of buildings we're also working on our new station building at East Tanfield, which can form the first part of a future development there too.

Having said that there's quite a bit of loco work going on at the moment too, as a quick look at www.tanfield-railway.blogspot.com will testify.

Good to see some nice pictures too, glad the attire is appreciated.

Finally with regards to the vintage cars, the Sunderland Classic Car Club do tend to organise that for us but I'm fairly sure they'll be more than happy to welcome some other vehicles, they're a very friendly and helpful bunch.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

With regards to restoration our number one priority is to get more and more under cover and secure. In recent years we've completed two large sheds so that all of our working carriages and all of our restored but out of ticket engine are comfortably under cover. Plans are being formulated for more buildings in the next few years. On the subject of buildings we're also working on our new station building at East Tanfield, which can form the first part of a future development there too.

Having said that there's quite a bit of loco work going on at the moment too, as a quick look at www.tanfield-railway.blogspot.com will testify.

Good to see some nice pictures too, glad the attire is appreciated.

Finally with regards to the vintage cars, the Sunderland Classic Car Club do tend to organise that for us but I'm fairly sure they'll be more than happy to welcome some other vehicles, they're a very friendly and helpful bunch.

TRailway.

Thanks for putting up the Link to your blog; which I've bookmarked.

Mac.

Looks like a good amount of stuff to look at.

I (and my wife) visited the Tanfield Rly as we were staying nearby. We walked to the gorge and this cam along. It was friday 6th May 2011

I like the look of that Exhibition layout too.

regards

MArk

post-7319-0-67944100-1316503964_thumb.jpg

Archived