Tornado takes to the rails

Andy Y

The first Graham Farish N scale model of the new build locomotive No. 60163 ‘Tornado’ to leave the production line was today presented to Gillian Lord, Merchandise Director for the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust.

Bachmann_A1_presentation.jpg

Gillian Lord, Merchandise Director of the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust receiving the first Graham Farish N scale model of ‘Tornado’ from Dave Bowker, Bachmann’s Sales Representative for the West Midlands, Wales & Ireland at The International N Gauge Show earlier today.

The Event took place at the annual International N Gauge Show being held today at the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre near Leamington Spa.

Following the handover ceremony, the first models were released to dealers attending the event.

The new A1 Class models feature a powerful 4 axle tender drive mechanism with phosphor bronze pick up bushes, fully detailed locomotive body including cab interior. Tender mechanism fitted with 6PIN NEM DCC decoder socket. Locomotive has driving wheel pick up via phosphor bronze pick up bushes. Tender bodies for ‘Tornado’ and original build have been produced, with the tender frames having either axle or roller bearing box details and disc or spoke tender wheels.The new ‘Tornado’ has a Recommended Retail Price of £148.30 (other versions 372-801 No. 60156 ‘Great Central’ and 372-802 No. 60147 ‘North Eastern’ are £136.10).

Gillian Lord said “I am delighted to take delivery of the first model to leave the production line on behalf of the A1 Steam Trust. I am sure that the new Graham Farish locomotive will prove a popular addition to the many N scale models on show today. The real locomotive today is on its way to Chester and we are sure that the new Graham Farish model will meet up with it very soon”.

It's a lovely model, and I heard the broadcast on the tannoy yesterday morning but couldn't really work out what they were saying. Thanks for sharing that Andy.

I was surprised to see it on sale at the show, so decided to treat myself to an early birthday present, which has made it's way down to Laira already....

First up a few shots of the loco on shed, waiting for tomorrow's railtour ;)

post-6899-0-63866400-1315752394_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-89404700-1315752438_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-90051900-1315752464_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-46086000-1315752540_thumb.jpg

Next a comparison of the different nameplates on each side

post-6899-0-81186200-1315752404_thumb.jpg

And finally the cab interior, details on which you'll never normally see. Nice touch!

post-6899-0-26271800-1315752448_thumb.jpg

The model is straight out of the box, larger wheelsets, etched nameplates, draincocks and various other plastic details are in the box awaiting fitment

jo

I said I wouldn't :nono: I haven't any N gauge :scratchhead: but that looks utterly brilliant! :D

God help me...! I really did have to check twice to see it wasn't the 00 version. Only the coupler, rear cartazzi and the front bogie really give the game away, the rest looks brilliant.

Yeah me too, at first I was wondering why pictures of the 00 version had been posted on a N gauge thread!

Exceptional! My dad purchased the North Eastern version at the show, and that was extremely impressive when I gave it a test run last night. Tornado though - well it just doesn't look N gauge! The livery certainly shows off the quality of the model to its best. Layout looking excellent also Jo!

My vote for model of the year by far!

David

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Managed to pick up a Tornado at the N Gauge show today - absolutely lovely and ironically a steam loco that's more "modern image" than all of my Class 66s and other diesels!

I don't know much about steam locos though - have Farish depicted any of the "modern" differences (if any) between Tornado and the other A1 locos? Are there any obvious ones they've missed?

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben.

As I understand it, the main difference is the tender, for which a different tool was produced for Tornado. There is less space for coal and more space for water in the new tender, as well as it being fitted with spoked wheels. However there are some differences to the actual engine which have not been incorporated, such as the slightly lower height and different cab roof and dome profiles which were a result of a Network Rail regulation linked to overhead lines.

To be fair, I think we're talking about an inch difference, which in N is neither here nor there!

There is a full list of changes here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Peppercorn_Class_A1_60163_Tornado

Tom.

Hi

Wonderful looking and I think Graham Farish have done a truly excellent job. The videos I saw she looks like a fine runner. The detail it just out of this world for n gauge. I have one on the way out to me as we speak. Thanks Tom also I must look it up to see the differences.

Any chance of some photos of the front end and the rear of the tender, I wouldnt mind seeing the lights.

EWSJO your first photo is brilliant, I looked at it for a couple of seconds and thought it was real until I saw the couplings. Brilliant modelling.

I plan to add DCC sound to this along with some prototypical lights maybe even a second decoder as when I did Tornado in OO it had 22 independent lights. Very much looking forward to receiving this one.

Cheers

Martin

Cheers for the comments guys, I'll try to get some shots of the front and rear tonight after work, or tomorrow morning.

It'll be a heck of an achievement getting working lights into the tiny marker lights - will be interesting to see the results.

jo

I does look good, but I'm having a bit of "cash flow" problems at the moment too. Is this a limited edition release (ie grab one now) or a catalogue item that will have a long life ?

How does the power get frm the loco pickups to the tender ?

One thing i don't really like - but it applies to all N gauge steam - is that the pins in the valvegear and the screw on the connecting rod/centre axle are a little clunky. You can't fully scale down everything I suppose.

• RMweb Gold

I looked at it for a couple of seconds and thought it was real until I saw the couplings.

I had exactly the same thought!

Instead of saying me too, I'll say 'Yo tambien'...

looks stunning...and it could even turn a diehard diesel modeller to get one :O :o

• RMweb Gold

Well, I collected my Tornado from the post office this morning and wow, absolutely worth the wait!

The most striking thing for me was the performance straight out of the box. The use of pick up bushes in place of wipers is a significant step forward for N I think.

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

A few more general photos:

14SEP11-017b.jpg

14SEP11-011b.jpg

14SEP11-047b.jpg

14SEP11-062b.jpg

14SEP11-050b.jpg

14SEP11-067b.jpg

And here is one of the replacement axles provided. You get two, one with tyres and one without so you can have no tyres or 2 axles with tyres fitted.

14SEP11-036b.jpg

Tom.

Archived