Tornado takes to the rails

Andy Y

Now that looks better :yes: ! I presume it also comes with draincocks, valve guides, etched nameplates to fit...

Looking forward now very much to getting a BR green North Eastern.... :derisive: , and trying to resist also getting Tornado now....

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

The little bag of goodies includes, front steps, draincocks, cab doors, buffer beam pipework, etched AWS gaurd plate (I think!) and hooks/couplings. There is also a shorter drawbar, although the gap is not that bad as it is!

There are also two very fine etched nameplates tucked away in the paperwork.

Tom.

• RMweb Premium

Having seen the Farish Tornado at TINGS last weekend I have to say it's probably one of the best RTR steam locos I've ever seen. Very very tempting, but it's too new for my normal late 1980s era (never thought I'd say that about a steam engine!).

With the real thing going through a range of liveries over the life of it's boiler ticket it'll be interesting to see how many Farish replicate. I wonder who'll be the first to repaint it in the grey primer it was first seen in on the main line?

Oh, and if your model will never pull a train whilst running tender first - take the front coupling off. It looks so much better.

Now then Farish, how about a Dutchess to a similar standard (though I'm guessing we'll get new A3 & A4's before then).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

With the real thing going through a range of liveries over the life of it's boiler ticket it'll be interesting to see how many Farish replicate

Did I read right on wiki that it will appear in BR Blue?...

It'll go back into apple green for a stint after the BR Green (both emblems) before being outshopped in express passenger blue. I think I am right in saying that's three years away, I will and check my back copies of the Communication Chord for the details. It won't be 100% set in stone anyway - the BR green is staying on longer due to the lengthy outlay with the boiler this last year.

• RMweb Gold

Did I read right on wiki that it will appear in BR Blue?...

I think that's up next after Brunswick green Pete.

:O Its thirty years since I bought my last N gauge steam loco...and from then on its been all BR Blue...will this be the loco to interupt that... :O

• RMweb Gold
Hmm, looks like I might be sending mine back. I've added both axles with traction tires and it still spins it's wheels when starting off.

Shame really, lovely model aswell.

I just hope if I get a replacement it is better.

I would make sure that all the bushes are sat in place properly. When I first installed the non tyred axle I didn't have it sat quite right and had the same issue.

Mine is running around with no traction tyres at all quite happily now.

Tom.

Hattons must have had a very small supply in the air-freighted delivery for the N gauge show to enable early orders to be fulfilled (not surprising since they will be by far Bachman's largest customer!). Looking forward to the full delivery arriving so mine can be sent out!

David

Hi David, i was having a chat with Pete in Rails yesterday and found out only 200 arrived in the country just for the show. The rest are currently on the slow boat.

Ollie

Wow. Having got all of those Dapol teaks (varnished to 'as preserved' state) this machine is hugely tempting!

Tom, knowing you have an eye for such things, how about an assesment of the RAF crests on the etched nameplate...

My only minor grumble is the coal load which seems to be the one visual thing that Farish need to work on, everything else can only be perfect to survive close up photography in this way!

Is the coal removable, like the Black 5?

PS: For inspiration..

email101_4883.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Howdy Will!

Considering the crests are no more than 1mm in size they are very good, and noticeably different each side as per the prototype. same applies to the etched plates included.

The coal is perhaps the weakest point of the model, but it does appear removable. I say appears because it didn't just fall out like the Black 5 but I haven't had the top off yet. I'll confirm once I get round to fitting a decoder!

Tom.

Hmm. I've taken the plunge....................... and mines going back too.

I've chipped it (tcs6 pin, very easy but you need a very small screwdriver to get body off), and with the tender body off - so the wheels visible - the slipping is very evident. With the tender body on, the slipping is the same.

My N test track consist of the peco starter set, which admittedly uses 1st radius curves (and the notes with the loco say 2nd radius minimum....) but, even on the straights the tender wheels spin trying to get the thing to move. It simply won't move unless you give it some revs.

The wheels on the loco have resistance when turned by hand, and yes, the middle and trailing coupled wheels are eccentric, accentuated by the white lining on them against the black background of the loco frame. I know someone who had the same with the Bachmann OO version, and can't believe that they've successfully scaled this down....... :nono:

The thing runs better backwards, but that's pretty pointless. Running forwards, its stiff and seems to not be square on the rails. All the wheels are on the track properly, but the stiff push that the tender is having to give must be using up all the slop in the flanges and the loco is going skew-whiff as a result,

Its a lovely thing to look at, but thoroughly useless as a source of motive power. Sorry if I'm not toeing the line, but Its the most expensive N loco I've bought, and also the worst runner. Its nice to have all this detail, but have they forgotten to make it move properly ?

In fact, I'm intrigued as to why they've included traction tyres. Is this an admission of a problem ? Surely, as supplied, the model should be capable of moving itself, and mine won't even do that without difficulty. Why should I fit the tyres myself to make it work ? What are the warranty implications of swapping the axles over ?

Ok, it may be a one off, but I don't think I'm unique here.

14SEP11-036b.jpg

With regards traction, one thing that is very notable from Tom's picture above is that the recess for the tyres looks rather deep compared to the tyres themselves - are they even making contact with the track in some cases - they don't appear to follow the cone of the wheel in this case? I suspect changing the rear two sets of wheels for traction tyred ones may help.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Ste234 & Dave.

Out of interest, have you tried running just the tender on it's own? Just wondering if the performance is a result of a problem with the engine or if it's mechanism related.

Tom.

Hmm. I've taken the plunge....................... and mines going back too.

I've chipped it (tcs6 pin, very easy but you need a very small screwdriver to get body off), and with the tender body off - so the wheels visible - the slipping is very evident. With the tender body on, the slipping is the same.

My N test track consist of the peco starter set, which admittedly uses 1st radius curves (and the notes with the loco say 2nd radius minimum....) but, even on the straights the tender wheels spin trying to get the thing to move. It simply won't move unless you give it some revs.

The wheels on the loco have resistance when turned by hand, and yes, the middle and trailing coupled wheels are eccentric, accentuated by the white lining on them against the black background of the loco frame. I know someone who had the same with the Bachmann OO version, and can't believe that they've successfully scaled this down....... :nono:

The thing runs better backwards, but that's pretty pointless. Running forwards, its stiff and seems to not be square on the rails. All the wheels are on the track properly, but the stiff push that the tender is having to give must be using up all the slop in the flanges and the loco is going skew-whiff as a result,

Its a lovely thing to look at, but thoroughly useless as a source of motive power. Sorry if I'm not toeing the line, but Its the most expensive N loco I've bought, and also the worst runner. Its nice to have all this detail, but have they forgotten to make it move properly ?

In fact, I'm intrigued as to why they've included traction tyres. Is this an admission of a problem ? Surely, as supplied, the model should be capable of moving itself, and mine won't even do that without difficulty. Why should I fit the tyres myself to make it work ? What are the warranty implications of swapping the axles over ?

Ok, it may be a one off, but I don't think I'm unique here.

Having up to now only run mine "light engine" to run it in I was a bit concerned about the comments on haulage here so I just nipped up to my Railway Room to test things out. As supplied my "Great Central" would manage fifteen coaches (A mix of Farish Staniers and Dapol Gresleys) absolutely no bother at all and I think it would probably take a few more. That's way more than I will ever need it to pull.

Roy

Archived