Tornado takes to the rails

Andy Y

I have to say that after picking mine up on friday morning and pressing it in to action with a support coach on Kinlet wharf at the Barrow show I was very dissapointed. However a bit of oil on the motion and other bits where they tell you to it was the best runner on the layout, and it managed it on the scale front bogie wheels.

Managed to do a bit of a haulage test on the flat it managed 7 mark 1's and 16 weighted mark 3's and a DVT and the only reason wouldn't take more was the fact that it would have been a real pain to move coaches between fiddle yards. My Oliver Cromwell managed the 7 mark ones and 8 weighted mark 3's before the couplings started to pull apart.

Maybe I am lucky but best steam loco so far in 'N'.

Alistair

Update on mine - Farish have got to wait for the main shipment to arrive before they can repair it, as the container has all the spare parts in it.

Interesting - so they do make spares aswell as the complete models?

Cheers,

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody got any news on when the slow boat from china will be arriving with the A1 Tornado's on it ?

Im looking forward to receiving my order and its been a hard wait so far, especially as some people already have theirs...

Cheers,

Rich

Interesting - so they do make spares aswell as the complete models?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan

I think they must be starting to. I contacted them through the Website for a replacement A1 accessory pack and they have replied with a price (£5 incl postage) which has duly been paid (Although I found the original in the meatime I will keep it as a "spare").

Incidentally you tip about equipping both the rearmost axles with tyred wheels is well worth doing. It transforms haulage from pretty good to phenomenal!

Cheers

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is now back from Farish and as good as new (well, better than it was new actually!). The valve gear has been replaced, and it runs like a dream. I've now had a chance to properly look at the model close up, and it is stunning. I'm going to add the etched nameplates, but even without, it really is superbly detailed, the best N gauge model I've yet purchased.

David

• 4 months later...

Hello I had These same issues with my Class A1 60156 'Great Central' BR Green Late Crest.

I found 3 things to be causing this issue and since i really do not want to send it back to UK i fiddles with it.

1. I found that the pistons were mis-aligned. Easy to fix up with a small jewlers driver and a bit of pressure.

2. the axel that goes through the main driving wheel was sticcking out about 1mm this causes rubbing and occasional jamming (mainly corners) I easily pressed the pin back in.

3. The front large 2 wheels had the holding nut loose and was sometimes hitting the wheel. Again removing it and readjusting fixed the issue.

4. You need to play around with the tiny screw on each side to make sure it is not to tight but not too loose.

Well after all that the loco runs pretty fine besides being hopeless on hills.

Shame they chose the path of tender driven on such a large steamer just screaming for trouble probably wouldn't be so bad on a smaller one like j39 though maybe some one could answer that for me as i have been thinking of picking that up.

4. You need to play around with the tiny screw on each side to make sure it is not to tight but not too loose.

This should be fully tight. If it's not it'll potentially work itself loose over time.

Well after all that the loco runs pretty fine besides being hopeless on hills.

Fit the second set of traction tyred wheels, arranging so that the rear 4 wheels on the tender are all traction tyre fitted. Then haulage should be much greater.

Regards,

Alan

• 6 months later...

I found on my 60156 that the second axle in the bits bag had tyres on both wheels, but only one had the groove ground in it to accept! (i.e. one of the wheels was a normal one presumably put on in error!).

It didn't bother me so much as the loco was secondhand with other damage that needed fixing and was therefore very cheap!

I turned a groove into it in the end.

Regards,

Alan

• 5 months later...

Old topic in know, but my experience of this loco isn't great unfortunately.  First one went back with loads of play in the driving wheels which appear to wobble and binding in the tender drive resulting in very sketchy slow running.  Ran it for about two hours in each direction and no improvement.  Replacement wasn't any better so went back.  Both models had issues with the finish too.  I noticed the paint on the buffers was badly applied and was chipped, wheels were printed innaccurately which made the wobble look even worse and there were lumps ontop of the boiler from the plastic moulding.  Aside from the points just mentioned, it is an amazing looking model which is why i'm gutted really as this loco was one i really wanted for my preservation layout having seen it when it came to Didcot in it's first livery.  I would buy it again but only having examined it in a shop and seen it running.  Trouble is there are no shops selling N gauge that are within a 1.5 hour drive of me.  Long way to go to not be satisfied with something!

Ah well, winge over.

Thanks,

Andy.

• 3 years later...

Hoping that someone is still following this topic. My brand new blue Tornado has been the best running loco I have until recently when it inexplicably started failing on inclines. I took the advice given here to fit the spare wheel set with tyres. However, I can not reassemble the tender afterwards. The wheels are equipped with the usual square brass bearing/ contact, with the raised flanges on each side, but unlike on my similarly equipped Jinty, the tender chassis is not provided with the grooves for the flanges to fit into, so the bearings are free to slide up and down the shaft. They do not get clamped in position by the retainer that screws underneath either. I have found it impossible to stop the bearings sliding around. Oddly the original wheel sets are firmly located in their slots and take a bit of pulling out with no visible means of fixing. Are they glued in? Has anyone else had this problem, developed a solution?

Hoping that someone is still following this topic. My brand new blue Tornado has been the best running loco I have until recently when it inexplicably started failing on inclines. I took the advice given here to fit the spare wheel set with tyres. However, I can not reassemble the tender afterwards. The wheels are equipped with the usual square brass bearing/ contact, with the raised flanges on each side, but unlike on my similarly equipped Jinty, the tender chassis is not provided with the grooves for the flanges to fit into, so the bearings are free to slide up and down the shaft. They do not get clamped in position by the retainer that screws underneath either. I have found it impossible to stop the bearings sliding around. Oddly the original wheel sets are firmly located in their slots and take a bit of pulling out with no visible means of fixing. Are they glued in? Has anyone else had this problem, developed a solution?

Do you have a picture? This shouldn't be the case - there should be slots for the raise lips of the bearings to seat in. Some can still be looser than others when fitted, but won't slide along the axles. They are not glued, as they need to contact the chassis block to transmit power.

In terms of haulage, check the tyred (and all) sets of wheels have not become oily or dirty, and clean them if they have - also check for track oil deposits too - something like this could be the reason.

Cheers,

Alan

I had exactly the same problem and spent 2 hours trying to get everything lined up and staying in place.  Eventually, I gave up and placed a tiny drop of glue to hold the bearings in place.  There's plenty of contact surface area for electrical conductivity, so a very careful tiny drop of glue will do.

Archived