Farish A1

BECMAYE

Looking at some colour pics of NE Pacifics in later life I would say you've got it exactly right as a St Margarets loco.  Funny how one side of the city kept their engines immaculate while the other thought the muck held them together, or so it appeared.

Could have been even worse- New England's locos always leaked steam as well - the muck might have been all that was holding them together.

At least Gateshead's locos always seemed to run better than they looked.  Fitters they DID have, and very good ones.  Their A1s were preferred for top link work, so if there was actually a cleaner available (not always the case) the A1s were cleaned first, THEN the A4s and A3s.

All you need is a bulled-up Haymarket A4 or A2 to go with it....

Les

Looking at some colour pics of NE Pacifics in later life I would say you've got it exactly right as a St Margarets loco.  Funny how one side of the city kept their engines immaculate while the other thought the muck held them together, or so it appeared.

Could have been even worse- New England's locos always leaked steam as well - the muck might have been all that was holding them together.

At least Gateshead's locos always seemed to run better than they looked.  Fitters they DID have, and very good ones.  Their A1s were preferred for top link work, so if there was actually a cleaner available (not always the case) the A1s were cleaned first, THEN the A4s and A3s.

All you need is a bulled-up Haymarket A4 or A2 to go with it....

Les

Yes

I'd hate to criticise the east side of the toon being a supporter of the East side football team but yes there was a distinct difference. I don't have any 64b interlopers in my fleet, I do have a Gateshead 47 and some kingmoor jobs.

Do need an A2 and A4 for that matter, but next out is a dapool 60052.

Thanks for your feedback though.

Regarding the valve guides, can anyone advise how they look.

I checked my parts and I do have 4 bits that look appropriate but I was expecting 2 bits, one for each side.

Les I notice your sugar palm has them too.

MGalleryItem.php?id=27475

The valve guides should be clear above. There are 4 because there are two sets - a wider set supposedly for running models and a narrower set for display. I've fitted both to differing models at different times - the narrow ones look better but sometimes need a bit of material removing from their back sides where they cover the radius rod, to ensure no clashes.

I would reapply the electrification warning flashes over the weathered surface - they tended to stand out even on dirty locos from the pictures I've seen, albeit with their red marking tending to look faded. They often tend to just look like plain white rectangles on dirty locos.

HTH,

Alan

I also haven't fitted the front footsteps, any guidance on minimum radius with those fitted?

I fit them and the large wheeled bogie too. It looks a lot better, and I've had no trouble down to 12" radius. You can take the inside edges of the steps away to give extra clearance, or adjust their fitting so they sit slightly further forward - a slight dodge this, but you keep the steps while opening up clearances. You can see on the loco above that the front bogie wheels clear the front steps with room to spare.

I tend to take the rear cab windows out too - I've rarely seen pictures of these shut - they seem to mostly have remained open, and I think it looks better too.

Cheers,

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

A few modifications as a result of the helpful suggestions on here

• Fitted valve guides
  • Cleaned up the overhead warning panels
  • Removed rear cab window

20160627_203739-1_zpsyz2gl36i_edit_14670

Very nice - another minor thing you can do if you fancy it (and haven't done so already) is drill out her nostrils - just watch that the chimney might come off doing this and need refitted, but it's another small mod that's often oveerlooked.

Cheers,

Alan

Very nice - another minor thing you can do if you fancy it (and haven't done so already) is drill out her nostrils - just watch that the chimney might come off doing this and need refitted, but it's another small mod that's often oveerlooked.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan,

Don't suppose there's a way I can find a lipped chimney to fit to 60147?

Regards,

Roy Marshall

Alan,

Don't suppose there's a way I can find a lipped chimney to fit to 60147?

Regards,

Roy Marshall

I have a couple of 60156 shells in disrepair - pretty sure I could liberate a lipped chimney.

Though as supplied 60147 is correct - are you renumbering/ changing the era of it?

Cheers,

Alan

I have a couple of 60156 shells in disrepair - pretty sure I could liberate a lipped chimney.

Though as supplied 60147 is correct - are you renumbering/ changing the era of it?

Cheers,

Alan

Alan,

That's a great offer - name your price!

I thought the lipped chimneys were fitted from 1950 onwards. I have a Colour Rail picture of 60147 with lipped chimney, which is dated June 1954 and the tender carries the early crest. Mid 1950s is about right for me, because I have a D20 which is a bit of a favourite!

Regards,

Roy

Alan,

That's a great offer - name your price!

I thought the lipped chimneys were fitted from 1950 onwards. I have a Colour Rail picture of 60147 with lipped chimney, which is dated June 1954 and the tender carries the early crest. Mid 1950s is about right for me, because I have a D20 which is a bit of a favourite!

Regards,

Roy

PM me on it and we'll get something organised.

Cheers,

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Alan,

I've done that. Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Roy

Alan,

Many thanks - here she is with her new chimney just painted. The 1961 Pullmans are a bit premature!

I was surprised how much drilling out the "nostrils" improved the look from above, so I did that on my A2 as well.

Regards,

Roy

post-24552-0-98629900-1469119084_thumb.jpg

Alan,

Many thanks - here she is with her new chimney just painted. The 1961 Pullmans are a bit premature!

I was surprised how much drilling out the "nostrils" improved the look from above, so I did that on my A2 as well.

Regards,

Roy

Very nice indeed Roy - like the weathering and layout too!

Cheers,

Alan

Track looks good to, is that finetrax?

Yes, Finetrax - worth the effort, though I've yet to make up a turnout kit - having taken a small part in a workshop to build Easitrack turnouts with the NE 2mm Group, I think it's just about in my capability.

The ballast is various Geoscenics materials with some of their track grime mixed into the PVA mix.

Regards,

Roy

Very nice indeed Roy - like the weathering and layout too!

Cheers,

Alan

Alan,

The weathering (apart from the chimney) is the work of Simon Howard - recommended.

But I need to get into weathering - I've got a train of Covhops that needs a lot of whitish dust all over the wagons - right down to axleboxes and brake gear. 

The layout is just that 1 board so far - originally planned just to try out track laying, ballasting, terraforming and static grass, etc, but I decided to keep it for the layout. 9 more boards to build, of which 5 will be part scenic. It'll be essentially a double track NE line, so I can watch the trains go round!

Regards,

Roy

Archived