Question about Modelling 47/7's from Bachmann models

Mike W2

This is one the GQS 88 guys might be able to answer, as they have done this.

I was looking at the Bachmann Intercity livery model and wondering if this would be the best base model to make a 47/7 from. I'm guessing if Bachmann or VI Trains haven't done one by now, then they probably won't in a hurry.

I know about the extra piping on the sides and the extra jumper leads (or whatever they are!) on the ends but short of renumber/renaming, changing the red stripe to blue and swapping the Intercity brand for Scotrail, is there any more work that would need done on this model?

thanks

Mike

Durham Trains of Stanley (http://durhamtrainsofstanley.co.uk/my_store/) are doing 47703 from Bachmann. I have not heard much on this lately so it mght be worth contacting them to see if it is still happening.

From what I gathered last time I spoke to them they will do 703 and if any are left sales dry up they will renumber some as other members of the fleet.

Has anyone actually used the Hurst Models Pipes for the 47/7?

Yes. It is very useful. Whilst not as fine as the air pipes that are supplied with the Bachmann 57, it is readily available, can be filed top and bottom to fit and the webbing between the pipes is easily hidden with a bit of weathering. Heljan also supplied these air pipes with locos (maybe available as a spare from Howes?) but IIRC it was shorter in length.

The "lump of metal" is a long range fuel tank, fitted across the underframe, shown clearly on many 47/7 pics . Depending on which tanks you are starting with, you may or may or may not need it. I'd recommend starting with the long range tanks so that you don't need this lump of metal.

If you want something finer, use Heljans' Pipe, its moulded in white plastic, and just requires mouting - it comes with two spigots that push into holes on Heljans 57... can grab a picture for you if you need one. The Hurst one is ok but the gaps between the pipes are "moulded in"

NL

Thanks guys

I have the Hurst pipes and they are going to be fitted to a Heljan 47/7. My only Bachmann 47 is the Rails Ltd Ed Queen Mother and that isn't getting touched! So If anyone has any pics showing clearly how the long range tank is fitted on (I don't just want to randomly glue it on!), that would be brilliant! My Heljan 47/7 might already have this but I'm not an expert on such matters, so I might not even have to use it!

thanks

Mike

I think I may have have worke out where the extra long range tank went. There are 2 boxes underneath the body, inbetween the bogies, with a gap in the middle. I'm guessing these are fuel tanks and maybe batteries (or other equipment). From what I've noticed on the pics I have seen, where you can see the underside clearly, it appears to be towards no 2 end, inbetween the bogie and normal fuel tank. Is this correct?

thanks

Mike

• 1 year later...

Archived