Pictures of Charmouth

DLT

For some reason, this thread had passed me by until now (I blame the sheer size of RMWeb!). Never tire of seeing photos of Charmouth so enjoyed looking through them all. Looking forward to Burton next year, when I’ll finally succeed (fingers crossed) in being at a show at the same time that Charmouth is.

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

For some reason, this thread had passed me by until now (I blame the sheer size of RMWeb!). Never tire of seeing photos of Charmouth so enjoyed looking through them all. Looking forward to Burton next year, when I’ll finally succeed (fingers crossed) in being at a show at the same time that Charmouth is.

Cheers,

Andrew

That would explain all the "likes"! 

Thanks for the compliments Andrew, although the thread is much the same as on the NGRM Forum.

Burton next year should be a cracker.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Dave, I’d seen the NGRM-online thread before, but haven’t looked at it, or much else on there very often since Photobucket decimated a lot of the threads on there.

See you at Burton!

Cheers,

Andrew

Ah yes, the Botophucket fiasco rumbles on....  I've restored all my recent photos on NGRM, and I now use Imgur.  A lot of the earlier photos are a bit out of date now, and I AM intending to do another photo survey, but it never seems to reach the top of the list!

Cheers, Dave.

• 8 months later...

A stunning layout. I was thinking that Charmouth could become my next project after building Pine Road. I was just checking through various forums and the like to see if it had already been done when I came across your thread.

I have been reading through some of the post but not all so, this may have already been said. I wondered if you were aware of how close it came to there actually being a station at Charmouth. There are plans that were submitted to parliament and the route to be taken, even a drawing of what the station building would look like if it was to be built.

You may already know about this so, sorry for repeating. It's a real "what nearly was" as a "what might have been" project.

As I said at the beginning, this layout is stunning, with so much atmosphere, a true inspiration to all.

Colin.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 30/12/2018 at 23:29, pushpull33 said:

A stunning layout. I was thinking that Charmouth could become my next project after building Pine Road. I was just checking through various forums and the like to see if it had already been done when I came across your thread.

I have been reading through some of the post but not all so, this may have already been said. I wondered if you were aware of how close it came to there actually being a station at Charmouth. There are plans that were submitted to parliament and the route to be taken, even a drawing of what the station building would look like if it was to be built.

You may already know about this so, sorry for repeating. It's a real "what nearly was" as a "what might have been" project.

As I said at the beginning, this layout is stunning, with so much atmosphere, a true inspiration to all.

Colin.

Hi Colin,

My apologies for not replying earlier, I haven't looked at this topic for a while!  Thanks for your comments.  I was aware of various plans for railways in that area of Dorset, but had never seen any details.  I must check them out.

In the meantime, The 7mmNGA 40th Anniversary bash is only a fortnight away!   The pointwork on Charmouth is starting to show it's age, and I've been replacing or beefing-up some of the tie-bars and solder joints.

969581359_IMG_4910small.jpg.1858b7d0bb7fb2094cc77d9213040409.jpg

At the same time I've removed the old polarity switching mech, consisting of phosphor-bronze tongues and wipers attached to the tiebars.  These were totally obsolete, having long ago been replaced by microswitches underneath.  This now allows space for some extra detailing , with rodding for facing-point locks.

1502939875_IMG_4908small.jpg.618407f33b644de44dace6a7139150af.jpg

Also in need of attention, some fencing and the cattle-dock have suffered a touch of elbow damage.

619270962_IMG_4909small.jpg.99e793ce5c347d51a5e939a433e67746.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

The damage to the cattle dock has made me get on with the changes I'd wanted to do for some time.  Firstly the grey painted plaster surface looked far to smooth so its had a coating of ash and flock.  Secondly, all the timber fencing around the layout is brown, so thed dock has been done that way as well.  It was meant to be cream, but looked too yellow.

1134521188_IMG_4913small.jpg.b891bf7231e0e6a25acaa05afb829fb6.jpg

The look of the pointwork has improved, and I took the opportunity to realign the curved route on one of the loop points that the long-wheelbase 4-4-0 was struggling with.

1892243758_IMG_4915small.jpg.cc0c2419b885bbf030f1b381c9c5da40.jpg

Likewise the rodding etc to the mainline points.  Its not super-detailed, but I hope it look like its "present and correct", with the appropriate facing point locks.  Painting it with Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal gives it a nice oily finish.

1310242829_IMG_4919small.jpg.8458f1d62513d25ea4752bd035023e20.jpg

And finally, with the show barely a week away, I've had another bright idea for improvement, and dug out the level crossing!

425849645_IMG_4923small.jpg.db32e089e8eec7889303390dc6d28ef1.jpg

I'm hoping it's going to look better/more interesting with timber board infill.  I hope I don't regret it...

Edited by DLT
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Having dug the crossing out, I have started filling it in again.  Here are the timbers roughly placed in position.

836902447_IMG_4930small.jpg.25baf497a9c8172f4061a573e1cca60d.jpg

Now glued in, with just enough glue to ooze up between the boards slightly, but not go over the top.  A plentiful supply of fine light grey flock added and pressed in.  Hopefully this will stick to the glue and help fill the gaps.

1992801470_IMG_4934small.jpg.ddaa8fb6099222fd1bb9af273d297a46.jpg

Now leave it to dry and hope for the best.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice work looking good. 

I see in the Modeller that Charmouth will retire after the Uckfield show. I hope after all your work you are able to keep it. I look forward to seeing Charmouth the Comeback.

All the best

Don

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2019 at 13:44, Donw said:

I see in the Modeller that Charmouth will retire after the Uckfield show. I hope after all your work you are able to keep it. I look forward to seeing Charmouth the Comeback.

All the best    Don

Thanks Don,

I'm still in two minds about it!  I had intended that Burton on Trent 7mmNGA 40th Anniversary show would be the last.  But that went really well, and having previously made noises about Uckfield, Adrian had persuaded me to take it. 

Above baseboard, Charmouth still looks ok and runs well, but "down below" age is catching up.  Switches, solder-joints, connectors etc, are starting to get a bit dodgy; so If I'm going to keep exhibiting, it will need a rewire.  Not a problem in itself, but a lot of work that might be better spent on a new project. 

So whilst I won't say "never again" I don't foresee any further regular appearances.

All the best, Dave.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Still one of my favourite old 'railway modeller' magazines had Charmouth in that inspired me a lot to keep with the hobby. I think I've seen the other end of the line at a show but I've never seen Charmouth in the flesh, good to see that despite its age it's still holding on and receiving attention and upgrades. The level crossing work looks superb.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Still one of my favourite old 'railway modeller' magazines had Charmouth in that inspired me a lot to keep with the hobby. I think I've seen the other end of the line at a show but I've never seen Charmouth in the flesh, good to see that despite its age it's still holding on and receiving attention and upgrades. The level crossing work looks superb.

Uckfield is a must then for you.

I can see your point Dave. I think it was at Barnstaple I last saw Charmouth seemed to be running well enough then mind you that must have been three or four years ago. It is easy for us who don't have to keep it running to say keep it.

Regards Don

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

Looking at the station buildings at Charmouth and Bridport Town, the engineer of this light railway must surely have been Arthur Cadlick Pain?

The very man!  I like to think of him as the "Father of light railways" long before such things were either fashionable or officially "approved of"   

Almost as soon as I came across these building designs I appointed him as my chief engineer, and I've tried to produce other buildings that generally "fit in" with his designs.

All the best, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 06/10/2019 at 01:38, DLT said:

Still can't resist making improvements, this time its the unused level crossing in Station Road.  Its had its road surface infil dug out and replaced by timbers, similar to the mainline crossing.

As this is on the "six inch extension" I could put the whole thing on the bench for easier access.

323399456_IMG_5514small.jpg.29bc7e72547bb21dffc19d6f00339484.jpg

889984084_IMG_5524small.jpg.dcffbb5cb8fab1a976506eca6fdc1021.jpg

Would that bit of line have once gone off to serve the cement mill (now the Heritage Coast Centre) by the beach?

https://www.freshford.com/heritage_centre.htm 

Edited by Hando
Turns out I repeated myself! Nevermind...
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 29/04/2020 at 11:18, Hando said:

Would that bit of line have once gone off to serve the cement mill (now the Heritage Coast Centre) by the beach?

https://www.freshford.com/heritage_centre.htm

Quite probably!  I never really decided where it was going, but the cement mill would be a very good candidate. 

The added scenic value of the old crossing and the overgrown gates was the initial priority.

Thanks for that link, some fascinating local history there.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/12/2023 at 11:47, h.beaven said:

Excellent layout, full of character! What are the dimensions of Charmouth baseboard? It looks so open and rural.

p246 June 95 RM and Dave says it’s 10ft 6in long. 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, h.beaven said:

Do you know how wide it is?

Hi,

The baseboards for Charmouth are half a metre wide, just under 20 inches.  The original layout was on three boards 1m x 0.5m, including the fiddle yard.  However that arrangement soon proved inadequate so a "roundhouse" extension was added  This however made the FY disproportionately long for the layout, so the whole end was rebuilt with the 38-inch cassette fiddle yard.  The addition of the "six-inch extension" at the station end brought the total length to 14'6" feet, including the FY.

The reason for the somewhat odd measurements was that it originally had to fit into a space a fraction over 3 metres long at home, and the extensions were for exhibition use.

The plan should make it clear:

CharmouthDevelopmentSmall.jpg.6d514324ac21b5f1094b1d8af83a6b89.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 10