Pictures of Charmouth

DLT

• RMweb Premium

While working on the goods yard area, (part of the layout I had never been entirely happy with) I thought the coal yard needed a bit more about it. It was nothing more than two piles of coal on the ground. So I've added a small bunker. A simple construction in stripwood, its built around one of the piles. Still needs dirt and blending in. The ground needs building up, and more detailing/clutter added, plus quite a bit more coal.
1639541977_IMG_2778small.jpg.c6dae5b8ef353e1f3ca81683f595cfd3.jpg

1118000886_IMG_2780small.jpg.6b1ea1adf416f53d2cc25874dabc6f7d.jpg

Hmm, does it look a bit twee at the moment?
1153514167_IMG_2781small.jpg.c11d9ef50acb3adb0c9391631d485515.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 17

Dave, it's a lovely addition, and it'll look great when it's been there for '30 years' or so !

(you could always stop the back and ends bowing out with the weight of coal by sticking some posts of old rail down behind the timbers....)

• RMweb Premium

Dave, it's a lovely addition, and it'll look great when it's been there for '30 years' or so !

(you could always stop the back and ends bowing out with the weight of coal by sticking some posts of old rail down behind the timbers....)

Thanks Giles, I'll give it a go.

The trick is to make it LOOK as though its been there thirty years; not sure if I've got 30 left!

Dave.

PS This bit of the layout is only 20 years old.

While working on the goods yard area, (part of the layout I had never been entirely happy with) I thought the coal yard needed a bit more about it. It was nothing more than two piles of coal on the ground. So I've added a small bunker. A simple construction in stripwood, its built around one of the piles. Still needs dirt and blending in. The ground needs building up, and more detailing/clutter added, plus quite a bit more coal.

Hmm, does it look a bit twee at the moment?

Cheers, Dave.

Dave

Very nice. Not 'twee' at all!

I think you can go to town with the weathering and distressing on this with the emphasis on the distress bit! A couple of broken planks?

Stephen

I've just stumbled across this thread and can only echo what's been said already. There is some seriously good modelling here. The whole thing looks like it's just leapt out of reality and nestled comfortably onto a baseboard. Great stuff. Look forward to seeing more.

• RMweb Premium

A bit more work on the coalyard; The surface of the hardstanding hard worn a biy smooth and shiny, so it too has had a layer of fine sawdust PVA-ed in place. I've also added some timbers between the rails so that any wheeled vehicles can be backed up to the wharf.
683575544_IMG_2788small.jpg.a74779b69016fac3f2196795f32df6ad.jpg

493616005_IMG_2791small.jpg.dbfa604a1a06328727c4b76612b7a8a9.jpg

I extended the siding (by a full inch-and-a-half!) by removing the buffer stop and adding a couple of bits of rail. This allows me to get another half a wagon in the yard!
1712526834_IMG_2795small.jpg.5d7046a5431ab57ffd826216de305d4f.jpg

The siding now ends at the bank so care in shunting is needed.

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I've just stumbled across this thread and can only echo what's been said already. There is some seriously good modelling here. The whole thing looks like it's just leapt out of reality and nestled comfortably onto a baseboard. Great stuff. Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks very much David (and everyone) for such glowing praise. I've always tried to keep within the bounds of reality, and keep it plausible.

Thanks again,

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Dave, keep up the good work. Dave

Thanks Dave,

The ground cover will of course be toned down to a dull dirty dark grey shade eventually. At the moment its just sawdust and PVA over the smooth black surface. Looks a bit strange to me at the moment.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Got all the basic ground cover, coal piles etc completed. Needs a bit more clutter, some stacks of sacks etc to be added.
1983295502_IMG_2796small.jpg.46a3f12f40acf1cc78f77ad5c959b964.jpg

725960780_IMG_2799small.jpg.4007626a3aa0795484e3ba025f7af068.jpg

1949665230_IMG_2801small.jpg.9c94b58235e00f5601735792c27c95af.jpg

Hmm, a bit too tidy?

I'm also adding a door to the end wall of the goods shed, as at Llanfair.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 14

Hi Dave

This is looking fantastic, love the way you have blended the ground cover and colours as well.

At this rate of work this going to blow them away in November; I like the bit about being able to get another half a wagon in, with the inch and a half of track.

Keep up the good work! And photo coming.

All the best

Darren

• RMweb Gold

How about a pice of rail across the end upside down fixed by chairs onto the running rail for a stop on the siding or even just ends of the rail bent up ( not easy to do). Very nice modelling as always Dave.

Don

Ps echo Giles's comment it does look a nice place to live!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Having planned to put an old sleeper accross the ends of the rails, I think i am going to leave it as it is to keep the siding as long as possible. As it stands, the wheels of a wagon just nudge up against the grass bank, and I like the look.

Decided that the hardstanding looked far too smooth so I've already added another layer of sawdust texturing on top. Just means I've got to re-colour it all....

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

While all this is going on, I'm taking the opportunity to add some details to the goods shed. Its never had any guttering, and I've been meaning to add a door to the rather plain slab-like end wall.

Its entirely wooden construction, plywood floor and false roof, while the walls are very thin ply with stripwood framing, clad in planked basswood sheets.
Its in three main parts; roof, body and legs.The legs are glued to a sheet of card thats been ballasted to match the ground cover, and in theory can be lifted out. In practice though its got accidently glued along the edges so has to stay put.

I hope the photos show the construction method, and how I've simply cut a hole in the cladding and added some more planked basswood sheet behind it to form the door.
451279063_IMG_2803small.jpg.f9f5f59ff5a72e6998cdd91fe9ab2b16.jpg

1414716347_IMG_2812small.jpg.81939338064b66937e92ff9b5537268c.jpg

2108464780_IMG_2806small.jpg.0b2c76c3a720948677cd09aec28873c8.jpg

1550012589_IMG_2809small.jpg.00fbe3c21c0fa4d0492451aa9b005a05.jpg

The method is probably a bit overcomplicated and unnecessary, but with long bolts holding it together I can detach the main parts and work on them on the bench if needed.

The steps are four bits of Obechi stripwood glued together and secured with Blu-Tac while the glue sets.

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

If you leave that siding without a buffer stop, even if only a sleeper, you need to modify the scenery just beyond the end of the rails

It needs two grooves in it!

Someone will have pushed a wagon a bit to far. Its a dead cert.

You're absolutely right Paul, but I draw the line at having two grooves across the road and some brand new brickwork in the front of the shop opposite!

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The changes to the shed look good so far Dave.

With all of the work that you are doing, plus the introduction of DCC, Charmouth will be a real hit at Warley.

Not too long to go now and looking forward to the weekend 'playing trains'!

• RMweb Premium

If you leave that siding without a buffer stop, even if only a sleeper, you need to modify the scenery just beyond the end of the rails

It needs two grooves in it! Someone will have pushed a wagon a bit too far. Its a dead cert.

Suitable grooves have been duly scraped.

With all of the work that you are doing, plus the introduction of DCC, Charmouth will be a real hit at Warley. Not too long to go now and looking forward to the weekend 'playing trains'!

Lets just hope it all works when we get there, and playing trains can be done!

More bits added to the coal yard and shed this evening, but too long spent creating enough space in the room for the boiler to be serviced tomorrow.

Thanks for all the comments Guys,

Cheers, Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I know this has gone a bit quiet, but various bits of detail work (that should have been done years ago) are being added to the buildings, I will get some photos up shortly.

Cheers, Dave.

I have been a bit slow making the connection but have greatly admired and been inspired by Bridport Town in the past and I just love the work you are doing on Charmouth. Just wish it was being exhibited abit nearer so I could get to see it. Its almost enough to make me convert to narrow gauge, almost!

Rob

• RMweb Premium

I have been a bit slow making the connection but have greatly admired and been inspired by Bridport Town in the past and I just love the work you are doing on Charmouth. Just wish it was being exhibited abit nearer so I could get to see it. Its almost enough to make me convert to narrow gauge, almost!

Rob

Thanks very much for the comments Rob; and you're right in that connections can take a while, especially when many folks on here have weird and wonderful web-names.

Rest assured, I will do more shows with Charmouth, particularly in the West-Country. I feel the same way, I never saw the first Osney.

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

There is nothing like an exhibition looming to remind you of all those things you promised yourself you would get done. Don

Hi Don,

They say "The Devil is in the Detail" was it ever truer? Finishing off these jobs seems to be taking longer than doing the main bits.

To be honest only nit pickers would find fault with Charmouth.

Like me? I'm sure I nit-pick my own work too much.

All the best,

Dave.